Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Mets Who Won't Be Here Next Year

There was a blog that listed the following who would not be here next year:

Javier Baez
    Mike Conforto
    Dominick Smith
    Marcus Stroman
    Kevin Pillar
    Taijan Walker - This one surprised me . They said because of his antics when being taken out
    recently. I do not agree with this .
    Luis Rojas
    Sandy Alderson
    Zack Scott - Probably because a new Head might want his own GM and he was involved in the
    Baez trade.
    Last edited by Brooklyndave; 08-31-2021 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    There was a blog that listed the following who would not be here next year:

Javier Baez
    Mike Conforto
    Dominick Smith
    Marcus Stroman
    Kevin Pillar
    Taijan Walker - This one surprised me . They said because of his antics when being taken out
    recently. I do not agree with this .
    Luis Rojas
    Sandy Alderson
    Zack Scott - Probably because a new Head might want his own GM and he was involved in the
    Baez trade.

I agree with all of the above, except:

T. Walker is on a 3 year contract. He would need to be traded by presumably a new FO. Since his contract is considered team friendly, I don't see him traded.

Rojas will stay with the team either as an FO junior executive or somewhere in player development.

Sandy Alderson needs to retire but might stay on in a board of directors role, or in an advisory role to the owner although other than running a low budge team what is Alderson good for in baseball? If Cohen wants him by his side, Alderson will likely retain his team president title, something like George Bush's uncle Herbert Walker had with the Mets of the 60s mainly because he was a good friend of Joan Payson and her husband.

I would like Stroman re-signed but don't think the Mets will pay a 3 or 4 mid-rotation starter what Stroman will likely be looking for, meaning ace money. The Yankees might sign him though.
    Last edited by swbwtr; 08-31-2021 at 09:41 AM.

I hate to see Smith go. Seems like a good clubhouse guy and has a good bat. But he's lost in the OF. 1B is blocked, so would like to see him get on a team where he can play 1B or DH and thrive. I never heard him complain and it seems like he became an entirely new person (for the better) after being diagnosed with sleep apnea. So I really do wish him luck and hope he has a productive future.

Baez on the other hand, just leave. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

So the above means that Thor stays, I guess.
    And Davis too.

walker will be back, contract is cheap and has outside of a 4-5 start stretch produced

rest are def gone except alderson who i think transitions out of baseball ops into more of the business side

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    So the above means that Thor stays, I guess.
    And Davis too.
    If Thor wants to be here, he will be here.

J.D. Davis is trade bait. If the Mets bring in a true third baseman, then J.D. goes to the bench as a right handed pinch hitter or will definitely be traded.

The Mets have holes to fill. What I found interesting over the last several days is that when Pillar played in the OF, the Mets left Nimmo in CF. Does that mean Nimmo has now improved to the point where the Mets consider him more capable in CF than Pillar. In that case, Pillar can go although I think he has a player option for next year. I would just buy him out. The Mets will find someone else to play in the OF with Nimmo and presumably McNeil.

The starters will be ok with deGrom, Thor, Carrasco, Walker, Megill, Peterson, Yamamoto and hopefully a good mid rotation starter via free agency. Lucchesi is likely gone for all of 2022.

The Mets need to try to re-sign Loup. Then bring in a second closer via free agency. The bullpen should be sound.

The Mets need a third baseman who is an offensive threat and plays a better than average defense over there. Someone who is a hitter, not just a guy who walks. We need people to drive in runs. So the third OFer (whether a RF or CF) also needs to be someone who hits the ball, has good metrics with runners in scoring position and can still play a decent defense. No DH candidates need apply. We have enough of them.

And remember, we'll have Cano back if he can stay off the juice. He has been one of the best clutch hitters in MLB over his career. He makes the lineup better.

I don't think Villar comes back either since he is a free agent although he has been a bit of a godsend at times.

Quote Originally Posted by swbwtr View Post
    The Mets have holes to fill. What I found interesting over the last several days is that when Pillar played in the OF, the Mets left Nimmo in CF. Does that mean Nimmo has now improved to the point where the Mets consider him more capable in CF than Pillar. In that case, Pillar can go although I think he has a player option for next year. I would just buy him out. The Mets will find someone else to play in the OF with Nimmo and presumably McNeil.

The starters will be ok with deGrom, Thor, Carrasco, Walker, Megill, Peterson, Yamamoto and hopefully a good mid rotation starter via free agency. Lucchesi is likely gone for all of 2022.

The Mets need to try to re-sign Loup. Then bring in a second closer via free agency. The bullpen should be sound.

The Mets need a third baseman who is an offensive threat and plays a better than average defense over there. Someone who is a hitter, not just a guy who walks. We need people to drive in runs. So the third OFer (whether a RF or CF) also needs to be someone who hits the ball, has good metrics with runners in scoring position and can still play a decent defense. No DH candidates need apply. We have enough of them.

And remember, we'll have Cano back if he can stay off the juice. He has been one of the best clutch hitters in MLB over his career. He makes the lineup better.

I don't think Villar comes back either since he is a free agent although he has been a bit of a godsend at times.
    I would plan on DeGrom not being here in the first half of next year. Could need TJ. I'd want him back in April, yes, but would also have a backup plan in place.

As for Cano, just release him. Enough of the circus.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    I would plan on DeGrom not being here in the first half of next year. Could need TJ. I'd want him back in April, yes, but would also have a backup plan in place.

As for Cano, just release him. Enough of the circus.
    TJ for deGrom again? Has anyone ever come back from 2 TJ surgeries? And if it is TJ, he is gone for the entire 2022. We haven't had Thor for 2 years (even though last year was a short season).

I think the backup plan if we lose deGrom for any portion of 2022 has to be a complete rebuild of this team, not just a tweaking. I think we start with Lindor since we are stuck with him and McCann as a backup catcher for 2 more years until he's gone, T. Walker and Carrasco, add in Alonso at 1b and Nimmo somewhere in the OF.

Everyone else should be new. Trade the others away.
    Last edited by swbwtr; 08-31-2021 at 04:32 PM.

Iím convinced Dom is injured. Iím willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, hate to see him go.

Walker is staying, Stroman might, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

Stro and Baez are staying. I know the strikeouts are a HUGE issue and it might be the wrong decision, but Lindor will push it and I have a feeling Baez finishes strong to make the case. Stro just makes to much sense and deGrom and Thor will be question marks. We also donít know what Cookie is yet.

Thor I think takes the QO especially if we donít make the playoffs. He wonít have much time to really show he is healthy.

JD Davis and Conforto are gone. We keep Dom.

I think we are going to spend a ridiculous amount of money next year and even more so if we donít make the playoffs.

CF - Nimmo
    SS - Lindor
    2B - Baez
    1B - Alonso
    3B - ?????
    LF - Dom
    RF - ????
    C - McCann

I think we add one FA to either play 3B or RF and McNeil will be plugged into the other spot.

I doubt that Cano will be back.

Considering the depth issues and need for major league players to fill holes and possible DH, I would keep Cano.

Why pay him to play someplace else and perhaps be productive there?

If he ducks then cut him, but if he can still play or hit a bit then he can help.

Cano is still the best clutch hitter on this team until he proves otherwise. And we all know we need clutch hitting. If he doesn't screw up again, he will at least be playing some 2b in 2022 for the Mets and will be one of the DH candidates if the NL has the DH in 2022.

I think the Mets will give Baty a shot to make the team sometime during 2022, so the Mets will likely not sign a third baseman to a long term contract.

There is zero reason to get rid of Cano at this point. The damage has been done to the organization. You may as well keep him on the roster and see if he can produce.

Don't worry. He's got this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast