Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

First Round Playoff Roster Predictions

At this point, it looks like Tampa Bay will play the winner of the Wild Card (probably Yankees or Red Sox) and we play Houston.
    Any thoughts about pitching match-ups and in general, what you think our chances are to get by Houston (or whoever we face) in the first round?

If the Sox do play Houston and right now it seems that way I am scared for Lance Lynn. He faced them a lot when he was with Texas and they he is 5-7 against the Astros. In 81.2 innings pitched he has a 4.41 ERA and a 1.35 WHIP. What's even worse is he is terrible at their park, with almost a 5 ERA. White Sox really need to move to that #2 spot or root for Oakland to pass Houston.

McCullers, Valdez, Garcia, Grienke

vs.

Gio, Lynn, Rodon, Cease

I personally prefer our guys. That series is going to be insane though. The starters aren't going to decide this. I think the Bullpens will come into play in almost every game.

Kimbrel
    Hendriks
    Kopech
    Bummer
    Crochet
    Tepera
    Marshall
    Reynaldo

If this group can get things under control by the postseason, we are gonna go well.

Personally, with Reynaldo as our long reliever, we don't need to take 5 starters, so Keuchel is out for me. We go into the postseason with a 12 pitchers. That gives us 14 hitters:

SS Timmy
    2B Hernandez
    3B YoYo
    1B Abreu
    C Grandal
    DH Eloy
    LF Vaughn
    CF LouBob
    RF Engel (If Healthy)

BN Leury (UTIL IF)
    BN Goodwin (Start him in RF if Engel isn't back, or isn't in rhythm by the playoffs)
    BN Zavala
    BN Lamb (Unless Burger is a Sept. Call up, and produces)
    BN BHam (Late game defense and pinch runner)

To me its pretty much a lock that the Sox will play the Astros. Still have some hope that we can get home field advantage but that doesn't seem to be a priority to TLR. It really depends on which White Sox team shows up, will it be the one that scored 30 runs against the Flubs on Friday & Sunday or the onw that was shut out on Saturday-only time will tell. Hoping the Red Sox knock the Yankees out in the wildcard game.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

The Sox will face elite TOR starters in the play-offs so we won't be beating Houston or Tampa Bay by ten runs. However, we have to score enough to give our shaky bullpen some leeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    To me its pretty much a lock that the Sox will play the Astros. Still have some hope that we can get home field advantage but that doesn't seem to be a priority to TLR. It really depends on which White Sox team shows up, will it be the one that scored 30 runs against the Flubs on Friday & Sunday or the onw that was shut out on Saturday-only time will tell. Hoping the Red Sox knock the Yankees out in the wildcard game.
    Home field advantage is not the only priority and that advantage evaporates if you lose the first game at home. It is more important to have the team healthy and rested yet energetic and sharp enough to compete on day one.
    Yankees could be a case in point. They look like they are blowing their wad too early winning 13-14 games in a row but not making up enough ground to overtake the Rays. If they don't catch the Rays you know anything can happen against Boston in the Wild Card. I am sure both fan bases dread that match-up.

Quote Originally Posted by garypeters View Post
    Home field advantage is not the only priority and that advantage evaporates if you lose the first game at home. It is more important to have the team healthy and rested yet energetic and sharp enough to compete on day one.
    Yankees could be a case in point. They look like they are blowing their wad too early winning 13-14 games in a row but not making up enough ground to overtake the Rays. If they don't catch the Rays you know anything can happen against Boston in the Wild Card. I am sure both fan bases dread that match-up.
    I can agree with that, I just don't remember a team (that I follow) ever having eased into the playoffs like this.
    To me it has always been you play hard until you win, or in this case secure something. Guess I'm just thinking old.
    1985 Bears
    2005 White Sox
    2010 Blackhawks
    1991 Bulls

1981 Sting

Quote Originally Posted by Muttman73 View Post
    I can agree with that, I just don't remember a team (that I follow) ever having eased into the playoffs like this.
    To me it has always been you play hard until you win, or in this case secure something. Guess I'm just thinking old.
    1983 Sox.

Pedal to the medal or tank until the playoffs is a false choice. Just keep the ball rolling, try to avoid over extending players including those who have had recent injuries, and keep the starters and bullpen as fresh as possible. Look, LaRussa is going to be criticized for anything he does so whatever strategy he employs down the stretch is not going to make people happy.

We are in a great position. Likely not getting a 1 seed, but also likely not dropping our division. We are right in the thick of home field in round 1.

I think more importantly is getting to the playoffs healthy, but also with your pitching staff set up in the best possible way for our opening series. The advantage the 1 seed has on a Wild Card team is the fact that they are likely not seeing that teams best pitcher in game 1 or 2. That guy likely has to throw the wild card game.

Best case for us would be the A's making the AL West a race to the finish, that way the Stros have to tax their Starters, Bullpen, and players over the last week, while we set up our entire roster for round 1.

We have a great advantage in coaching here. Tony has done this so many times, successfully, so he will know what to do with our lineups in the last week of the regular season to ensure guys are fresh, but in rhythm.

GP will share my thoughts in 2 weeks. Astros and Rays leads with month left can be overtaken by the A's and Thee... Yankees.

Think we fare better in the ALDS vs the A's over the Astros.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Playoff baseball, probably more so thatís any other sport, is very different from the regular season. In the regular season you play everyday, with an occasional day off and in mostly warm weather. Then when the playoffs arrive and the most important games, you are forced to play in colder and sometimes wet weather and with many off days between games. With wild card games, possible tiebreakers and the potential for waiting for a maxed out series after a sweep, you can theoretically have close to a week off between games.

The teams that best handle these changes and adversities are the ones that usually have playoff success, and not necessarily the best teams. That and momentum are the reasons why so many underdogs and wildcard teams make it to the WS.

I donít know how you can get players ready to play in cold weather, but maybe having this lead and giving players a day or 2 off between games might not be the worse thing to help them prepare for the days off they will be faced with during the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
    Playoff baseball, probably more so thatís any other sport, is very different from the regular season. In the regular season you play everyday, with an occasional day off and in mostly warm weather. Then when the playoffs arrive and the most important games, you are forced to play in colder and sometimes wet weather and with many off days between games. With wild card games, possible tiebreakers and the potential for waiting for a maxed out series after a sweep, you can theoretically have close to a week off between games.

The teams that best handle these changes and adversities are the ones that usually have playoff success, and not necessarily the best teams. That and momentum are the reasons why so many underdogs and wildcard teams make it to the WS.

I donít know how you can get players ready to play in cold weather, but maybe having this lead and giving players a day or 2 off between games might not be the worse thing to help them prepare for the days off they will be faced with during the playoffs.
    This is where I see us having an advantage with Tony. If any coach knows how to prep a team for postseason conditions, it's him.

We need our guys healthy and sooner than later. I'd like our hitters to play the last two weeks of the season and all pitchers to be playing the last three weeks (starters getting in a full three starts).

I don't want our guys wearing off rust in our first round else this will be a one and done I fear.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

I think theyíll be fine. Lynn seems super minor. Tim i feel like theyíre just being crazy cautious. Gio might miss 2 starts. If anything this will help us build some depth in case of a potential injury, while setting our guys to get back for the last few weeks. Itís perfect timing if these are 10-15 day absences

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast