Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 244
  1. #226
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    17,415
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    The last two years theyíve been WCF and 1st Round. Itís not like they havenít demonstrated that they could possibly get farther.
    The WCF appearance is not inspiring any confidence whatsoever. Context matters. They went to 7 games against an inexperienced Nuggets team and then got embarrassed in a sweep against the Warriors.

    I think it's pretty well established what caliber of team this Blazers core is which is a 1st to 2nd round team.

    As a fan, you're expected to be optimistic and slightly biased, I get that. But like I said at some point you have to acknowledge on paper this summer has been treadmill/marginal moves hoping that Billups unlocks some secret success and miraculously gains Lilliards 100% buy-in.

  2. #227
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,108
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    The WCF appearance is not inspiring any confidence whatsoever. Context matters. They went to 7 games against an inexperienced Nuggets team and then got embarrassed in a sweep against the Warriors.

    I think it's pretty well established what caliber of team this Blazers core is which is a 1st to 2nd round team.

    As a fan, you're expected to be optimistic and slightly biased, I get that. But like I said at some point you have to acknowledge on paper this summer has been treadmill/marginal moves hoping that Billups unlocks some secret success and miraculously gains Lilliards 100% buy-in.
    I donít think it is. Theyíve played together 27 games.

    This off-season has been a gamble by Olshey by not caving to Lillardís frustration because he realizes the numbers for the starters are actually really good and the hood is by fixing the bench they can fix their primary problem.

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    17,415
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I donít think it is. Theyíve played together 27 games.

    This off-season has been a gamble by Olshey by not caving to Lillardís frustration because he realizes the numbers for the starters are actually really good and the hood is by fixing the bench they can fix their primary problem.
    I think you highlighted everything right there by calling it a "gamble" and also correlating minimum signings and swapping one rotation player for another (DJJ for LNJ) with "fixing the bench".

    Your comment basically concedes that no power moves were made to set the direction rather than praying a cross wind comes out of nowhere and blows the ship into a new direction.
    Last edited by beasted86; 08-31-2021 at 10:40 PM.

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    9,556
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I donít think it is. Theyíve played together 27 games.

    This off-season has been a gamble by Olshey by not caving to Lillardís frustration because he realizes the numbers for the starters are actually really good and the hood is by fixing the bench they can fix their primary problem.
    Did they fix the bench though?

  5. #230
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    61,897

    Markkanen to Cavs, Nance to Blazers

    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Did they fix the bench though?
    Vlade probably has a better idea then I do but I think that depends on if Simons can direct in addition to score. Zeller and Nance for both underrated guys imo. Snell is trash imo. They are all off ball connector types through. Simmons has the game to be the primary scorer off the bench imo but I donít know if he can have the ball all the time. It might lead to a feast or famine bench if you donít do some significant staggering with CJ and Dame. Iíd like to see them add a stabilizing backup PG.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  6. #231
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,108
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    I think you highlighted everything right there by calling it a "gamble" and also correlating minimum signings and swapping one rotation player for another (DJJ for LNJ) with "fixing the bench".

    Your comment basically concedes that no power moves were made to set the direction rather than praying a cross wind comes out of nowhere and blows the ship into a new direction.
    I've already conceded no power moves were made, my contention is that one isn't necessary for them to be much improved from last season. All they need to do that is health (no Nurkic injury), a better bench, and a full season with Powell.

  7. #232
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,108
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Vlade probably has a better idea then I do but I think that depends on if Simons can direct in addition to score. Zeller and Nance for both underrated guys imo. Snell is trash imo. They are all off ball connector types through. Simmons has the game to be the primary scorer off the bench imo but I donít know if he can have the ball all the time. It might lead to a feast or famine bench if you donít do some significant staggering with CJ and Dame. Iíd like to see them add a stabilizing backup PG.
    The Blazers already stagger Lillard and CJ's minutes so that CJ directs the bench units, I think bringing in Powell (and to another extent Nance) is so they can also have Powell take some time with the bench unit as a scorer.

    I like Simons' game and heart, but I don't know if he can really be a facilitator or direct the offense (at least not yet).

  8. #233
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,108
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Did they fix the bench though?
    They did. I don't think you are appreciating how bad it was.

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    9,556
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    They did. I don't think you are appreciating how bad it was.
    I'll have to take your word for it, because I was very unimpressed with any of their offseason transactions (drafting, trading, and signing).

  10. #235
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    17,415
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    I'll have to take your word for it, because I was very unimpressed with any of their offseason transactions (drafting, trading, and signing).
    Same here. But our opinions don't count, only Dame's does.

    I don't think he's impressed or as optimistic as some of the others in this thread. Time will tell.

  11. #236
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    44,108
    Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    Same here. But our opinions don't count, only Dame's does.

    I don't think he's impressed or as optimistic as some of the others in this thread. Time will tell.
    If he wants out I wish him nothing but the best and hope we trade him to wherever he wants to go and wins a championship.

    I hope any of the below happen:
    1. Lillard wins a title with Portland
    2. Lillard wins a title
    3. Lillard stays with Portland his entire career and doesn't win a title

    And I'd be happy with any of them.

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    66,962
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    If he wants out I wish him nothing but the best and hope we trade him to wherever he wants to go and wins a championship.

    I hope any of the below happen:
    1. Lillard wins a title with Portland
    2. Lillard wins a title
    3. Lillard stays with Portland his entire career and doesn't win a title

    And I'd be happy with any of them.
    Good news for now is on an Instagram Love Lillard said he has no intentions of requesting a trade right now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #238
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    8,482
    Cavs with their starting 5 now they can easily do this

    PG- Darius Garland
    SG- Collin Sexton
    SF- Lauri Markkanen
    PF- Evan Mobley
    C- Jarrett Allen

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    9,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Cavs with their starting 5 now they can easily do this

    PG- Darius Garland
    SG- Collin Sexton
    SF- Evan Mobley
    PF- Lauri Markkanen
    C- Jarrett Allen
    Yuck, that team is a 2 pack of butt.

  15. #240
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11,147
    Really like this trade for Portland. Nance Jr. has become one of the more underrated players in the league in my opinion, and should have an immediate impact. His offense doesn't take away from others and a potential RoCo/Nance front court could bring a ton of value on defense.

    I'm honestly expecting Portland to have a pretty good season, with maybe a second round appearance in the cards, or if they get a favorable matchup/injuries happen even a WCF appearance. This trade still doesn't change the fact that they're not a serious title contender, and probably don't have a realistic path to being one unless someone like Powell randomly takes a huge jump.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •