Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

NY Yankees @ Oakland A's Aug. 26 - 29

The Yankees (74-52) carry an 11-game win streak into a home matchup versus the Oakland Athletics (70-57), at 9:40 PM ET on Thursday. James Kaprielian gets the starting nod for Oakland and Jameson Taillon is New York’s pick in the opener.

Taillon (8-4) gets the starting nod for the Yankees in his 25th start of the season. He’s put together a 3.94 ERA in 123 1/3 innings pitched, with 121 strikeouts. The right-hander last pitched on Thursday against the Twins, when he tossed 5 1/3 innings, allowing three earned runs while giving up five hits.
    Over 24 games this season, the 29-year-old has amassed a 3.94 ERA and 8.8 strikeouts per nine innings, while allowing a batting average of .244 to his opponents. Taillon is looking to pick up his 18th start of five or more innings this year in this outing.

The Athletics will send Kaprielian (7-4) to the mound for his 17th start this season.
    The right-hander gave up one earned run in five innings pitched on Saturday in his last outing, a matchup with the Giants. The 27-year-old has an ERA of 3.25, 8.8 strikeouts per nine innings and a batting average against of .217 in 16 games this season. Kaprielian has started 16 games this season, and he’s lasted five or more innings 14 times. He averages 5.2 innings per appearance.

The Athletics are 12th in MLB play with 157 home runs. They average 1.2 per game.
    The Athletics have racked up two or more round-trippers in 45 games this season, and are 31-14 in those contests. Oakland has hit nine home runs over the last 10 games.
    The Athletics are on a four-game losing streak heading into this matchup. During that span the team is averaging 2.5 runs per game against the 4.5 per game it has given up.
    Matt Olson leads Oakland in home runs (32) and runs batted in (82) this season while batting .278.
    Jed Lowrie has 103 hits and an OBP of .327 to go with a slugging percentage of .405 this season.

The Yankees have hit 159 homers this season, which ranks 10th in the league.
    They have averaged 1.2 home runs per game in their 62 road contests this season.
    New York has 15 homers over its last 10 games.
    The Yankees have won 11 straight games and are batting .246 as a team with 60 runs scored over that span. Aaron Judge leads the Yankees with 27 home runs and 65 runs batted in, while accumulating a team-best batting average of .285.
    Giancarlo Stanton has made the most of his opportunities as he paces the team with 65 RBI's

Yankees
    @
    Athletics

Thu, Aug 26 • 9:40 PM EDT

At Oakland Coliseum

Jameson Taillon
    RHP
    8-4, 3.94 ERA, 121 SO

James Kaprielian
    RHP
    7-4, 3.25 ERA, 87 SO

Fri, Aug 27 • 9:40 PM EDT

Gerrit Cole
    RHP
    12-6, 2.92 ERA, 191 SO

Sean Manaea
    LHP
    8-8, 3.77 ERA, 151 SO

Sat, Aug 28 • 4:07 PM EDT

Nestor Cortes Jr.
    LHP
    2-1, 2.56 ERA, 60 SO

Frankie Montas
    RHP
    9-9, 3.84 ERA, 161 SO

Sun, Aug 29 • 7:08 PM EDT

Jordan Montgomery
    LHP
    5-5, 3.69 ERA, 123 SO

Paul Blackburn
    RHP
    0-1, 4.09 ERA, 8 SO
    Last edited by drt1010; 08-25-2021 at 09:38 AM.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Fantastic pitching matchups

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post

I wish we had Cole vs Kap. Former Yankee spec wants nothing more than to stick it to the Yankees for trading him……and Kap has become a very good starter so Cashman probably screwed that one up again. Dumbass Cashman traded our #1 pick from 2015 for that stiff Sonny Gray….

What GM is laughing now?
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 08-25-2021 at 10:35 AM.
    My favorite Top 10 Rolling Stones songs
    1. Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo ( Heartbreaker)
    2. Gimme Shelter
    3. Miss You
    4. Angie
    5. Sympathy for the Devil
    6. Anybody seen my Baby
    7. Paint it Black
    8. Rock and a Hard Place
    9. (I can’t get no) Satisfaction
    10. Undercover of the Night

I hope Boone will give Chapman lower leverage and more consistent innings until he can actually finish an inning. I think Chapman pitches best when he goes two games on and one game off. When he sits around for a week waiting for a save situation, he can' throw heat and can't locate. Get him some lower leverage, more consistent innings and try get him right for the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    I wish we had Cole vs Kap. Former Yankee spec wants nothing more than to stick it to the Yankees for trading him……and Kap has become a very good starter so Cashman probably screwed that one up again. Dumbass Cashman traded our #1 pick from 2015 for that stiff Sonny Gray….

What GM is laughing now?
    Gray was a stud before he got here and has been very good since leaving. Rothchild is to blame for Gray falling apart here not Cashman. I would still make that same trade 10 out of 10 times.

Gray was a complete pitcher, in his mid 20's that had alot of success before he got here. IMO, that was one of the better trades for a starting pitcher that Cashman has made in a long time. He didn't need to add a pitch, change anything and wasn't injury prone and controlled for 3yrs, what more could you want in a 2-3 type pitcher

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Gray was a stud before he got here and has been very good since leaving. Rothchild is to blame for Gray falling apart here not Cashman. I would still make that same trade 10 out of 10 times.

Gray was a complete pitcher, in his mid 20's that had alot of success before he got here. IMO, that was one of the better trades for a starting pitcher that Cashman has made in a long time. He didn't need to add a pitch, change anything and wasn't injury prone and controlled for 3yrs, what more could you want in a 2-3 type pitcher
    He also crumbled like a cheap tent with adversity in NY……it wasn’t all Rothschild. Some pitchers just can’t handle the pressures of NY…Oakland and Cincy don’t even compare to NY….You are lucky if you have one reporter buzzing by you in those towns…..In NY they scrutinize you on just a bad pitch……Gray was just another Ed Whitson….They were decent prior to coming to NY and then struggled mightily and then was traded and then pitched well again…..Poor Whitson after a crummy start would go out to his car and his tires were flat…..
    2. Gimme Shelter
    3. Miss You
    4. Angie
    6. Anybody seen my Baby
    7. Paint it Black
    8. Rock and a Hard Place

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    He also crumbled like a cheap tent with adversity in NY……it wasn’t all Rothschild. Some pitchers just can’t handle the pressures of NY…Oakland and Cincy don’t even compare to NY….You are lucky if you have one reporter buzzing by you in those towns…..In NY they scrutinize you on just a bad pitch……Gray was just another Ed Whitson….They were decent prior to coming to NY and then struggled mightily and then was traded and then pitched well again…..Poor Whitson after a crummy start would go out to his car and his tires were flat…..
    When you take a pitcher who has been really good till you got him, then try and completely change the way he has pitched his entire career, you don't think that was on Rothchild ? Sonny came here the majority of his pitches were FB, He threw a 4 seam, 2 seam, Cutter and Sinker and had a good Slider and descent Change Up. He had alot of success with that pitch mix, as soon as he got here they wanted him to up his SL % to about 40% and use the CU much more and get away from throwing all the FB variations

He might not have handled NY well, but losing his confidence in his pitches and trying to completely change the way you've pitched your entire career can't help.

Cashman got a very good pitcher, our anals and Rothchild screwed him up. I don't think it's a coincidence that when he got to Cincy, went back to his old pitch mix and was successful.

When you take a pitcher who has been really good till you got him, then try and completely change the way he has pitched his entire career, you don't think that was on Rothchild ? Sonny came here the majority of his pitches were FB, He threw a 4 seam, 2 seam, Cutter and Sinker and had a good Slider and descent Change Up. He had alot of success with that pitch mix, as soon as he got here they wanted him to up his SL % to about 40% and use the CU much more and get away from throwing all the FB variations

He might not have handled NY well, but losing his confidence in his pitches and trying to completely change the way you've pitched your entire career can't help.

Cashman got a very good pitcher, our anals and Rothchild screwed him up. I don't think it's a coincidence that when he got to Cincy, went back to his old pitch mix and was successful.
    I get what you are saying. But some personalities can’t handle the pressures of playing in NY when going through any kind of adversity ….it carries over, fans see it and will just continue to crush that individual. Kenny Rogers was the carbon copy of Sonny Gray with prior to NY, coming to NY, then getting traded from NY….when Rogers pitched in NY you could see the nervousness in him. He was worried about that one bad pitch….Torre was always on the footsteps ready to yank him on almost every start….Gray reminded me the same….and again, I know what you are saying with Rothschild but in the end the pitcher can shake off a catcher and he makes the final decision with his pitches.

I also feel you had a problem with Rothschild……then how come nobody else struggled as mightily as Sonny during Rothschild tenure?
    2. Gimme Shelter
    3. Miss You
    4. Angie
    6. Anybody seen my Baby
    7. Paint it Black
    8. Rock and a Hard Place

Sonny came over and gave up tons of HRs on his fastball. Between the juiced ball, the short porch in Yankee Stadium and the lack of confidence, it became a lethal combination. Rothschild tried to get him to pitch more change-ups, because his fastball became a gopher ball and that made matters even worse, because he had zero confidence in everything he threw. in the end, Sonny was just better off anywhere else.

Agree. My recollection as well. Why mess with success?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    With The Rays winning ways continuing and with a pretty much guaranteed sweep of Baltimore coming this weekend the Yankees will now need to sweep Oakland or lose ground with regards to the aspirations of winning the East because the O’s are not going to beat The Rays….The Yankees win 11 str8 and still can’t gain ground on Tampa….
    2. Gimme Shelter
    3. Miss You
    4. Angie
    6. Anybody seen my Baby
    7. Paint it Black
    8. Rock and a Hard Place

Quote Originally Posted by PJO34 View Post
    I hope Boone will give Chapman lower leverage and more consistent innings until he can actually finish an inning. I think Chapman pitches best when he goes two games on and one game off. When he sits around for a week waiting for a save situation, he can' throw heat and can't locate. Get him some lower leverage, more consistent innings and try get him right for the playoffs.

He had a 1-2-3 inning on Monday. It wasn't a save situation but it was a 1-2-3.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Agree. My recollection as well. Why mess with success?
    It doesn't make sense to overhaul any pitcher who is that good. Maybe if they were bad and needed to try something new but Gray was a borderline ace. That was a massive failure by the Yankees.

clearly it is mental with chapman.. the easiest pitch to throw a strike is the fastball.. yet chapman cannot get his fastball over for a strike so he loses confidence and throws slider after slider..i hear some people on sports radio say oh chapman sweats to much

maybe he cant get a grip on his fastball.. nonsense chapman has always been a profuse sweater..

biggest series of the year you have a chance to bury the a's as a threat for the first wild card spot..yanks cannot falter here and lose this series..

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast