Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 75 of 75

Thread: Sevy

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    25,323
    Yeah, I'll stay away from the guy who has a 5 career ERA. But I know people on this forum love small sample sizes so it makes sense they love Cortes.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    38,101
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Yeah, I'll stay away from the guy who has a 5 career ERA. But I know people on this forum love small sample sizes so it makes sense they love Cortes.
    Severino has had one excellent season, one good season, and hasn't pitched in 3 years. I'm sorry for not being excited about him.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    25,323
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Severino has had one excellent season, one good season, and hasn't pitched in 3 years. I'm sorry for not being excited about him.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    Those seasons were when he was 23 and 24. Usually people get excited over ace like performances from someone that young. Maybe it is just me though.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    38,101
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Those seasons were when he was 23 and 24. Usually people get excited over ace like performances from someone that young. Maybe it is just me though.
    I WAS excited in 2017. That was 4 years ago though.

    Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    12,910
    @BrendanKutyNJ

    1h
    Luis Severino has been cleared to start his throwing program again, Boone says.

    Corey Kluber will start for the Yankees on Monday.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    8,287
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Yeah, I'll stay away from the guy who has a 5 career ERA. But I know people on this forum love small sample sizes so it makes sense they love Cortes.
    I'd definitely stay away from the guy who has a pension for the yips when pitching in the post season.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    25,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I'd definitely stay away from the guy who has a pension for the yips when pitching in the post season.
    Like I said plenty of times, I guess Sale, CC, Price, etc should have never gotten another playoff start after their small sample size to begin their postseason career.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    40,758
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Yeah, I'll stay away from the guy who has a 5 career ERA. But I know people on this forum love small sample sizes so it makes sense they love Cortes.
    It's a bit hypocritical to talk about the small sample size of Cortes being a reason to avoid using him but Sevy's small sample size in the playoffs, shouldn't matter.

    I also have to disagree with the comment that people on the forum love small sample sizes.
    It is a crappy way to attempt to diminish an argument but it is also unfounded, as most of the time posters discuss that concept, they comment about knowing it is a small sample size. Therefore they are aware that things could change quickly and dramatically.

    I stated clearly. I would choose Cortes over Sevy this year. I stated that I think Cortes has a hot hand and I choose to go with the hot hand over the guy who's been injured for two years.

    I think it is extremely short sighted and flat out odd, that you would rather have a guy who hasn't pitched all year or last year, come in and take a rotation spot from a guy who has pitched extremely well and deserves a chance to pitch.

    I stated regarding Velasquez (another guy I am guessing falls into the small sample size) that I believe, right now, the team is a better team with him at SS. I believe he is a significant defensive upgrade over Torres. I think he is better on the bases than Torres. Torres's bat is not good enough to outweigh those aspects. Torres has also not been very good this year. Torres has a much better OBP, about 80 points. better but his other numbers are almost identical to Velasquez.
    Velasquez also brings a much needed energy and drive. Torres lacks both of those things.

    So the small sample size of Velasquez is clearly, as is the small sample size for Nestor. But that sample size is good enough that I believe that right now, they should be the guys that are on the field over Sevy and Torres.

    I don't care what their stats say. I don't care what Torres's career numbers are vs Velasquez. Not right now. I think it is irrelevant. Sometimes the proven commodity, is not the better one.
    I think you let the guy rolling, roll. Until he doesn't.

    Or do you think that Torres and Sevy (this year's version) make the team that much better than Cortes and Velasquez?



    Ignorance is bliss

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    40,758
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Like I said plenty of times, I guess Sale, CC, Price, etc should have never gotten another playoff start after their small sample size to begin their postseason career.
    And like I just said, you don't believe a guy should be given a chance because of a small sample size.
    You make fun of posters for using a small sample size to form their idea of a player. But then you use small sample size as a basis for your argument?

    Which is it? We should look at or we should not look at small sample sizes?
    Or like most of the posters here, when looking at small sample size, it should be considered that those samples could change for the worse or the better, very quickly?



    Ignorance is bliss

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    It's a bit hypocritical to talk about the small sample size of Cortes being a reason to avoid using him but Sevy's small sample size in the playoffs, shouldn't matter.

    I also have to disagree with the comment that people on the forum love small sample sizes.
    It is a crappy way to attempt to diminish an argument but it is also unfounded, as most of the time posters discuss that concept, they comment about knowing it is a small sample size. Therefore they are aware that things could change quickly and dramatically.

    I stated clearly. I would choose Cortes over Sevy this year. I stated that I think Cortes has a hot hand and I choose to go with the hot hand over the guy who's been injured for two years.

    I think it is extremely short sighted and flat out odd, that you would rather have a guy who hasn't pitched all year or last year, come in and take a rotation spot from a guy who has pitched extremely well and deserves a chance to pitch.

    I stated regarding Velasquez (another guy I am guessing falls into the small sample size) that I believe, right now, the team is a better team with him at SS. I believe he is a significant defensive upgrade over Torres. I think he is better on the bases than Torres. Torres's bat is not good enough to outweigh those aspects. Torres has also not been very good this year. Torres has a much better OBP, about 80 points. better but his other numbers are almost identical to Velasquez.
    Velasquez also brings a much needed energy and drive. Torres lacks both of those things.

    So the small sample size of Velasquez is clearly, as is the small sample size for Nestor. But that sample size is good enough that I believe that right now, they should be the guys that are on the field over Sevy and Torres.

    I don't care what their stats say. I don't care what Torres's career numbers are vs Velasquez. Not right now. I think it is irrelevant. Sometimes the proven commodity, is not the better one.
    I think you let the guy rolling, roll. Until he doesn't.

    Or do you think that Torres and Sevy (this year's version) make the team that much better than Cortes and Velasquez?
    The good news is that rosters expand to 28 on September 1st. That means that Gil and Velasquez can both be in the majors without taking an extra roster spot, when Torres returns and we can sort out the playoff roster at a later date. Gil has started three games, but isn't even on the 26 man roster. His first 2 games were as a COVID replacement and his third start as the 27th man for a Double header.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    40,758
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    The good news is that rosters expand to 28 on September 1st. That means that Gil and Velasquez can both be in the majors without taking an extra roster spot, when Torres returns and we can sort out the playoff roster at a later date. Gil has started three games, but isn't even on the 26 man roster. His first 2 games were as a COVID replacement and his third start as the 27th man for a Double header.
    It's kind of crazy how that COVID protocol ended up working in the Yankees favor regarding Gil.



    Ignorance is bliss

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    25,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    It's a bit hypocritical to talk about the small sample size of Cortes being a reason to avoid using him but Sevy's small sample size in the playoffs, shouldn't matter.

    I also have to disagree with the comment that people on the forum love small sample sizes.
    It is a crappy way to attempt to diminish an argument but it is also unfounded, as most of the time posters discuss that concept, they comment about knowing it is a small sample size. Therefore they are aware that things could change quickly and dramatically.

    I stated clearly. I would choose Cortes over Sevy this year. I stated that I think Cortes has a hot hand and I choose to go with the hot hand over the guy who's been injured for two years.

    I think it is extremely short sighted and flat out odd, that you would rather have a guy who hasn't pitched all year or last year, come in and take a rotation spot from a guy who has pitched extremely well and deserves a chance to pitch.

    I stated regarding Velasquez (another guy I am guessing falls into the small sample size) that I believe, right now, the team is a better team with him at SS. I believe he is a significant defensive upgrade over Torres. I think he is better on the bases than Torres. Torres's bat is not good enough to outweigh those aspects. Torres has also not been very good this year. Torres has a much better OBP, about 80 points. better but his other numbers are almost identical to Velasquez.
    Velasquez also brings a much needed energy and drive. Torres lacks both of those things.

    So the small sample size of Velasquez is clearly, as is the small sample size for Nestor. But that sample size is good enough that I believe that right now, they should be the guys that are on the field over Sevy and Torres.

    I don't care what their stats say. I don't care what Torres's career numbers are vs Velasquez. Not right now. I think it is irrelevant. Sometimes the proven commodity, is not the better one.
    I think you let the guy rolling, roll. Until he doesn't.

    Or do you think that Torres and Sevy (this year's version) make the team that much better than Cortes and Velasquez?
    I don't think you are following me here. I am staying consistent saying I'm not going all in on small sample sizes. Severino has a small sample size of being bad in the playoffs but a large sample size of being great. With Cortes it is the opposite, he has a small sample size of being good and a larger sample size of being bad. In both cases, I lean towards the larger sample size. Just because one sample size has a positive meaning and one has a negative meaning does not mean I am changing my argue to favor certain players. It is not just the stats and sample sizes either. Severino has fantastic stuff while Cortes relies on gimmicks. Cortes has a low margin for error.

    Also, my hypothetical was not Severino right this moment vs Cortes. I was saying if Severino was healthy and pitching close to his previous form then he would absolutely start over Cortes.

    But yes, people overreact on this forum all the time to small sample sizes. It is all about what have you done for me lately. People wanted to give Rizzo 5 years and 80 million because of his first two games lol. People acted like Severino was garbage even before injuries because of less than a handful of playoff starts. People claimed Tauchman was a star OFer. People claimed Frazier was better than Stanton and should take his job because of a shortened season. It happens every week on here.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    25,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    And like I just said, you don't believe a guy should be given a chance because of a small sample size.
    You make fun of posters for using a small sample size to form their idea of a player. But then you use small sample size as a basis for your argument?

    Which is it? We should look at or we should not look at small sample sizes?
    Or like most of the posters here, when looking at small sample size, it should be considered that those samples could change for the worse or the better, very quickly?
    I never used small sample size to form my argument. Read my post above. I am staying consistent on the same size issue. I never even said Cortes doesn't deserve a chance, but I wouldn't trust his small sample size to continue. Just like I wouldn't expect Severino's small sample size in the playoffs to continue either.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    40,758
    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    I don't think you are following me here. I am staying consistent saying I'm not going all in on small sample sizes. Severino has a small sample size of being bad in the playoffs but a large sample size of being great. With Cortes it is the opposite, he has a small sample size of being good and a larger sample size of being bad. In both cases, I lean towards the larger sample size. Just because one sample size has a positive meaning and one has a negative meaning does not mean I am changing my argue to favor certain players. It is not just the stats and sample sizes either. Severino has fantastic stuff while Cortes relies on gimmicks. Cortes has a low margin for error.

    Also, my hypothetical was not Severino right this moment vs Cortes. I was saying if Severino was healthy and pitching close to his previous form then he would absolutely start over Cortes.

    But yes, people overreact on this forum all the time to small sample sizes. It is all about what have you done for me lately. People wanted to give Rizzo 5 years and 80 million because of his first two games lol. People acted like Severino was garbage even before injuries because of less than a handful of playoff starts. People claimed Tauchman was a star OFer. People claimed Frazier was better than Stanton and should take his job because of a shortened season. It happens every week on here.
    I think we can agree to disagree about consistency of argument. Sevy has a small sample size in the playoffs. You feel that small sample size should beset aside and he be given his chance. I see that as dismissing that small sample and going with your gut. The sample size is the center of the argument.


    Ok
    I agree with everything else. I agree that that small sample size of playoffs should absolutely be set aside if he is back to what he was in previous years. I agree that I would give him the nod over Cortes if he had proven he was back to form, meaning 5-6 starts of 6 plus innings, 2-3 run pitching.

    But, if Sevy starts throwing and ramps it up in time to pitch in a game or two? No way is he in my rotation for the playoffs. I absolutely go with Cortes, provided he is still pitching well. Sevy goes to the pen.

    Both pitchers healthy and having typical seasons? Sevy. Sexy coming back from injury in time to log 12 innings as a starter? Cortes

    I also agree that Cortes may not continue to live up to what he's done. He could easily fall off the cliff. But until he does, I roll with him.

    I love Rizzo. No way do I sign him long term. If he lights it up the rest of the way and in the playoffs, I offer a 2 year deal with a club option but that talk of 8 for 80 was premature.



    Ignorance is bliss

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    40,758
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    @BrendanKutyNJ

    1h
    Luis Severino has been cleared to start his throwing program again, Boone says.

    Corey Kluber will start for the Yankees on Monday.
    I think that is a weird move. He hasn't been good in his rehab. They shouldn't rush him back just to get him back.



    Ignorance is bliss

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •