Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Baseball has a revenue parity problem more than a spending parity problem.

Should have both a floor and hard cap.

$100 min and $200 max for your 40 man.

Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    Baseball has a revenue parity problem more than a spending parity problem.
    I mean I think everyone acknowledges that, but you're not going to fix one without fixing the other. If big markets are forced to revenue share, you damn well better believe that they are going to want to make sure the teams they are giving money to are actually spending it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps18-19 Champ View Post

Way to far apart. If you're going to do a true cap, you need a min that's in the same ballpark. And you can do an NFL style thing where it's not a yearly min but a running 3 or 5 year min so if teams want to hit the reset button they can spend lower for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Way to far apart. If you're going to do a true cap, you need a min that's in the same ballpark. And you can do an NFL style thing where it's not a yearly min but a running 3 or 5 year min so if teams want to hit the reset button they can spend lower for a few years.
    I dont mind tighten it to say $150 mil. Was just an idea.

I just have never figured out why baseball would even consider a floor simply because salaries are too far gone to make it even feasible. According to Spottrac, the Orioles payroll this past year was $53,755,204, so roughly 47 million below a 100 million dollar floor. The Orioles were 52-110. So let's spend 47 million last year for the Orioles:

SS Didi Gregorius-- 2 years, 28 million (14 million per year)
    SP Jake Odorizzi-- 3 years, 23.5 million (7.8 million per year)
    SP Jose Quintana-- 1 year, 8 million
    CF Jackie Bradley Jr-- 2 years, 24 million (12 million per year)
    RP Kirby Yates-- 1 year 5.5 million

So right there is 47.3 million and here is what you got out of that:

Gregorius-- 14 HR, 53 RBI, .209 BA
    Odorizzi-- 6-7 with a 4.21 ERA
    Quintana-- 0-3 with a 6.42 ERA
    Bradley Jr-- 6 HR, 29 RBI, .163 BA
    Yates-- Nothing, ended up having Tommy John Surgery

Are the Orioles in any better shape with that extra 47 million payroll?
    Eichel Tower

I don't think there should be a floor or a cap. Having said that, pretending that nearly doubling a team's payroll isn't going to lead to an improved roster the vast majority of the time is beyond ridiculous. If you were looking for an honest conversation here, you might think about showing other examples than what are basically worst case scenarios.

A bit low for the 40-man roster. If you want a hard cap, make it about $275MM. I also like the idea of a floor, but as was pointed out, simply wasting money is never a good idea. If a team doesn't make the floor, they shouldn't get any revenue sharing, though.

A Floor is Coming?

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I just have never figured out why baseball would even consider a floor simply because salaries are too far gone to make it even feasible. According to Spottrac, the Orioles payroll this past year was $53,755,204, so roughly 47 million below a 100 million dollar floor. The Orioles were 52-110. So let's spend 47 million last year for the Orioles:

SS Didi Gregorius-- 2 years, 28 million (14 million per year)
    SP Jake Odorizzi-- 3 years, 23.5 million (7.8 million per year)
    SP Jose Quintana-- 1 year, 8 million
    CF Jackie Bradley Jr-- 2 years, 24 million (12 million per year)
    RP Kirby Yates-- 1 year 5.5 million

So right there is 47.3 million and here is what you got out of that:

Gregorius-- 14 HR, 53 RBI, .209 BA
    Odorizzi-- 6-7 with a 4.21 ERA
    Quintana-- 0-3 with a 6.42 ERA
    Bradley Jr-- 6 HR, 29 RBI, .163 BA
    Yates-- Nothing, ended up having Tommy John Surgery

Are the Orioles in any better shape with that extra 47 million payroll?
    The idea that this would be fixed in one offseason is silly. So your example doesn’t prove/disprove anything.

It’s be like adding a DH May 1st and if/when (most likely) the AL DH out produce the NL DH saying “see the DH doesn’t work for the entire league.” Well, no ****, the NL (low salary teams) need to adjust to the new rules and re-roster.

There would probably be a gradual climb to the required floor.

The reason I like the floor and potentially cap as well is, you’ll have more lower payroll teams keeping their studs over trading them away when they start getting expensive. I also think there should be reset years like they do with the tax. You can be under 2 years before you have to meet it.
    Last edited by koldjerky; 11-11-2021 at 09:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    The idea that this would be fixed in one offseason is silly. So your example doesn’t prove/disprove anything.

It’s be like adding a DH May 1st and if/when (most likely) the AL DH out produce the NL DH saying “see the DH doesn’t work for the entire league.” Well, no ****, the NL (low salary teams) need to adjust to the new rules and re-roster.

There would probably be a gradual climb to the required floor.

The reason I like the floor and potentially cap as well is, you’ll have more lower payroll teams keeping their studs over trading them away when they start getting expensive. I also think there should be reset years like they do with the tax. You can be under 2 years before you have to meet it.
    You finally saw the light
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    You finally saw the light
    Lol no.

You think the NL has an advantage with no DH. I disagree.

Regardless of what goes where the idea is any change is going to effect someone differently until it evens out.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Lol no.

You think the NL has an advantage with no DH. I disagree.

Regardless of what goes where the idea is any change is going to effect someone differently until it evens out.
    You just stated that it would take time for the NL teams to move money to put up a DH like the AL has already budgeted for. No?

Then right here you speak of evening out. You see the light. The imbalance needs to end. You agree, but for some reason don't understand.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

You just stated that it would take time for the NL teams to move money to put up a DH like the AL has already budgeted for. No?

Then right here you speak of evening out. You see the light. The imbalance needs to end. You agree, but for some reason don't understand.
    If the NL has to move things around to adjust how does that give them an advantage?

I know there’s imbalance and it needs to end I just don’t think it’s the NL who has the advantage.

Oh my. Keep clutching on to that delusional outlook of yours, Brett.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast