Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    Sure. But they donít pick where theyíre going. I agree they sign on to bad markets because thatís the only way they can get a team, doesnít make the disparity any more of a problem.
    The disparity gets corrected with floors and ceilings though
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    The disparity gets corrected with floors and ceilings though
    No it wonít. And floor and ceiling wonít turn the Pirates into the Yankees or Dodgers. Itíll just give the Yankees a discount and the Pirates more expensive average players. Even proponents of the floor/cap system talk about how great itíll be for the Yankees to dump over the hill expensive players with some prospects on the Pirates. All youíll do is make the Pirates cry more about how poor they are while the Yankees and Dodgers spend all their extra money they canít spend on salaries on team infrastructure, coaches and personnel that give them an advantage. Reward the rich and punish the poor.

Teams are going to act in their own interests and as long as those interests are different then their actions will be different. If you want 30 teams to try and win the WS every year then you need 30 teams with the same opportunity and the same rewards. Hereís X amount of money, go build the best baseball team you can. The top 12 teams will get to play in a lucrative post season with each successive series bringing in more money rewarding the best teams. Being successful brings in attendance, concessions, merchandise that all make you money. Everyone is working to win and make money.

No it wonít. And floor and ceiling wonít turn the Pirates into the Yankees or Dodgers. Itíll just give the Yankees a discount and the Pirates more expensive average players. Even proponents of the floor/cap system talk about how great itíll be for the Yankees to dump over the hill expensive players with some prospects on the Pirates. All youíll do is make the Pirates cry more about how poor they are while the Yankees and Dodgers spend all their extra money they canít spend on salaries on team infrastructure, coaches and personnel that give them an advantage. Reward the rich and punish the poor.

Teams are going to act in their own interests and as long as those interests are different then their actions will be different. If you want 30 teams to try and win the WS every year then you need 30 teams with the same opportunity and the same rewards. Hereís X amount of money, go build the best baseball team you can. The top 12 teams will get to play in a lucrative post season with each successive series bringing in more money rewarding the best teams. Being successful brings in attendance, concessions, merchandise that all make you money. Everyone is working to win and make money.
    It works in the NFL.

It's not to make the Dodgers out of everyone, it's to move closer to parity and the ceiling floor does just that.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

It works in the NFL.

It's not to make the Dodgers out of everyone, it's to move closer to parity and the ceiling floor does just that.
    But in the NFL, you have a salary cap; can't really compare NFL to MLB.
    Eichel Tower

What I have believed all along. I was just looking at Sportac and right now, the Pirates payroll is 34.45 million. Let's say we added Max Scherzer and Corey Seager at their contracts with the Mets and Rangers respectively, adding 75.8 million in payroll to their team, bringing them to nearly 110 million; Does anyone really believe the Pirates are any closer to playoff contention than they would be if they just sat back and did nothing? They might win a few more games sure, but they aren't a playoff team, not even close.
    Eichel Tower

It works in the NFL.

The NFL has equal revenue streams. Thatís what works.

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    What I have believed all along. I was just looking at Sportac and right now, the Pirates payroll is 34.45 million. Let's say we added Max Scherzer and Corey Seager at their contracts with the Mets and Rangers respectively, adding 75.8 million in payroll to their team, bringing them to nearly 110 million; Does anyone really believe the Pirates are any closer to playoff contention than they would be if they just sat back and did nothing? They might win a few more games sure, but they aren't a playoff team, not even close.
    You keep repeating the same thing.

Thereís being smart with your money and then thereís throwing it away.

Why would the pirates, as they stand, throw money at the two highest players paid in FA?

Better way to allocate the money.

Plus, as been said; itís not a simple one offseason fix so, again, you regurgitated this point is futile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

But in the NFL, you have a salary cap; can't really compare NFL to MLB.
    You can if you are trying to put that ceiling floor like the NFL has, right?

In the NL Central? Maybe.

The NFL has equal revenue streams. Thatís what works.
    They have it but not quite the same as the NFL, I agree.

This article is good:
    http://www.captainsblog.info/2020/03...ng-work/25425/

They have it but not quite the same as the NFL, I agree.

This article is good:
    http://www.captainsblog.info/2020/03...ng-work/25425/
    Some isnít enough and it isnít designed in a way to encourage teams to be good. TV should be 100% shared except playoffs. Playoff TV money should be shared by teams competing in each given round. Gates should be 70/30 home/visiting team and a teams should keep all concession and merchandise revenue.

Every team is an MLB franchise that is part of the MLB brand. They should all start with the same baseline revenue that allows them to field a competitive team. All the extra revenue should be tied to being successful to incentivize teams to win not just for obvious joy of winning but also for maximizing their profit.

Some isnít enough and it isnít designed in a way to encourage teams to be good. TV should be 100% shared except playoffs. Playoff TV money should be shared by teams competing in each given round. Gates should be 70/30 home/visiting team and a teams should keep all concession and merchandise revenue.

Every team is an MLB franchise that is part of the MLB brand. They should all start with the same baseline revenue that allows them to field a competitive team. All the extra revenue should be tied to being successful to incentivize teams to win not just for obvious joy of winning but also for maximizing their profit.
    I am not opposing at all improving it. It does make it better than just a floor.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011