Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    My goal would be to not have poor and rich teams. As long as you do they will make this about economics as a reason to not be competitive. Besides, as long as they can’t maximize their revenues by picking their market they shouldn’t have to choose revenues or competitiveness.
    The thing is that teams had an entry fee and I would assume a minimum amount of funding outside of the fee to get a team. The ownership of each team gets to choose where to play. No one is forcing someone to own a team or to play in a tiny market, right?
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    The thing is that teams had an entry fee and I would assume a minimum amount of funding outside of the fee to get a team. The ownership of each team gets to choose where to play. No one is forcing someone to own a team or to play in a tiny market, right?
    The owner doesn’t get to choose where to play. MLB chooses and has been forcing teams in smaller markets to help “grow” the game. If they got to choose I guarantee someone would have chosen Brooklyn or San Jose.

The owner doesn’t get to choose where to play. MLB chooses and has been forcing teams in smaller markets to help “grow” the game. If they got to choose I guarantee someone would have chosen Brooklyn or San Jose.
    No one says, here's a billion dollars, not tell me what to do. Not a one.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, crovash, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

No one says, here's a billion dollars, not tell me what to do. Not a one.
    ?

Best of luck.

?
    Sorry, should have been "now tell me what to do"

Sorry, should have been "now tell me what to do"
    That doesn’t make your point any clearer.

That doesn’t make your point any clearer.
    I'll try again.
    No owner is told where to put his team. Not a single one. MLB says we want a franchise in Kansas City and perspective ownership groups bid. MLB does not say we want a new team bid first, location after you pay.

I'll try again.
    No owner is told where to put his team. Not a single one. MLB says we want a franchise in Kansas City and perspective ownership groups bid. MLB does not say we want a new team bid first, location after you pay.
    Sure. But they don’t pick where they’re going. I agree they sign on to bad markets because that’s the only way they can get a team, doesn’t make the disparity any more of a problem.

I'm not sure what we're arguing here, but at the end of the day, there's not 30 markets in the US and Canada that are the size of LA and NY. There's always going to be market disparity. There's nothing you can actually do about that.

Location isn't the only factor in franchise valuation by any means, but some of the most popular US cities floated for MLB franchises are Vegas, Nashville and Charlotte. If we look at NFL franchise valuations, the Raiders are 16th, the Panthers are 24th and the Titans are 26th. That's not much different from the NBA where the Hornets left Charlotte for a period of time before getting an expansion team and Portland, another possible city for expansion, is middle to lower tier valuation for NBA franchises. In the NHL, Vegas is 17th in value, Nashville is 25 and Carolina is 27.

So even if owners had free reign to just up and move teams whenever they wanted, there's still going to be massive market disparity no matter what.

The problem is that all owners should be equal partners. Pool all the money and divide it by 30. Then market size means nothing and every team has the same financial resources to try to win with. It's really the only way to address this massive problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    The problem is that all owners should be equal partners. Pool all the money and divide it by 30. Then market size means nothing and every team has the same financial resources to try to win with. It's really the only way to address this massive problem.
    No way owners of big market teams vote for sharing all revenue equally. A floor isn't the worst idea though, especially considering the players association and agents are concerned where mid level FA salaries are going. In 2014, mid tier FA were averaging 11.8 million dollars a season. As of last year that was 6.2 million a season. A majority of the players are league minimum and lower/mid tier salaried guys. Obviously the owners conceding a floor would mean the players would have to concede something big as well but I understand why there are a significant portion of players and agents advocating for a floor.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-12-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I'm not sure what we're arguing here, but at the end of the day, there's not 30 markets in the US and Canada that are the size of LA and NY. There's always going to be market disparity. There's nothing you can actually do about that.

Location isn't the only factor in franchise valuation by any means, but some of the most popular US cities floated for MLB franchises are Vegas, Nashville and Charlotte. If we look at NFL franchise valuations, the Raiders are 16th, the Panthers are 24th and the Titans are 26th. That's not much different from the NBA where the Hornets left Charlotte for a period of time before getting an expansion team and Portland, another possible city for expansion, is middle to lower tier valuation for NBA franchises. In the NHL, Vegas is 17th in value, Nashville is 25 and Carolina is 27.

So even if owners had free reign to just up and move teams whenever they wanted, there's still going to be massive market disparity no matter what.
    Valuation of teams getting robust revenue sharing will have that baked into the value and can’t be compared to a baseball team in a small market without that revenue stream. As long as the Yankees and Dodgers have the revenue advantage it will not be an even playing field. Some teams have an inherent off field advantage and they should honestly be embarrassed they don’t win more often.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    No way owners of big market teams vote for sharing all revenue equally. A floor isn't the worst idea though, especially considering the players association and agents are concerned where mid level FA salaries are going. In 2014, mid tier FA were averaging 11.8 million dollars a season. As of last year that was 6.2 million a season. A majority of the players are league minimum and lower/mid tier salaried guys. Obviously the owners conceding a floor would mean the players would have to concede something big as well but I understand why there are a significant portion of players and agents advocating for a floor.
    Of course they won’t vote for a even playing field as long as they have the advantage. But let’s not pretend it’s even or be shocked that some teams feel an equal right to make money. As long as revenue are unequal than we should expect to see unequal payrolls and unequal win% over time.

Of course they won’t vote for a even playing field as long as they have the advantage. But let’s not pretend it’s even or be shocked that some teams feel an equal right to make money. As long as revenue are unequal than we should expect to see unequal payrolls and unequal win% over time.
    That's great that teams feel that way but they have no reasonable expectation to it. Yeah the commissioner works for all the owners but you and I both know the wants of the bigger market teams are most important. The Yankees made 677 million dollars in revenue in 2019 (the last year not affected by Covid) for example. Their opinion means a lot more than the Rays or the Pirates.

That's the reason why they're pushing for extra playoff spots. Baseball knows the regional nature of the game means they need to keep more teams in the playoff hunt so that fans remain interested.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-13-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast