Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

21-22 Starting 5

Considering next season it begs the question of who gets in y'alls starting 5

Logically wit a healthy Siakam the starting 5 easily is:

PG- VanVleet (1)
    SG- Trent Jr (2)
    SF- Anunoby (3)
    PF- Siakam (4)
    C- Birch (5)

With an injured Siakam out of the lineup, then your 21-22 starting 5 easily becomes:

PG- VanVleet (1)
    SG- Trent Jr (2)
    SF- Barnes (4th overall pick/rookie) (3)
    PF- Anunoby (moves over to the 4 spot)
    C- Birch (5)

This is assuming Siakam is out to start the year and Dragic is on the roster. I think Nurse will rely on his veterans and have the young players earn their starting role. Dragic's value needs to be lifted or sustained. We'll also need some leadership running the offense without Kyle. Boucher can start beside his Montreal buddy. He had a breakout season last year and is a 7 million dollar expiring contract. This is a big year for him.

Dragic
    FVV
    Anunoby
    Boucher
    Birch

Bench:

Flynn
    Trent
    Yuta/Wainright/Champagnie/Dekker/Bonga (whoever earns it, but I think Yuta is the favourite).
    Barnes
    Achiuwa

Not a bad starting 5 or 2nd unit

Well according to Nurse the PG pecking order is:

FVV/Dragic/Flynn/Banton

And he doesnt see FVV and Dragic together right now. The real question is, do they start GTJ or use him as their 6th man off the bench to provide bench scoring. I kinda like our line up with him as our backup SG coming off the bench with Dragic and Boucher. That trio should provide quite the offensive punch in the middle parts of the game. Then toss in Yuta and Precious for the little things and you have:

FVV/Dragic
    OG/GTJ
    Barnes/Yuta
    Siakam/Boucher
    Birch/Achiuwa

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post

FVV/Dragic/Flynn/Banton

And he doesnt see FVV and Dragic together right now. The real question is, do they start GTJ or use him as their 6th man off the bench to provide bench scoring. I kinda like our line up with him as our backup SG coming off the bench with Dragic and Boucher. That trio should provide quite the offensive punch in the middle parts of the game. Then toss in Yuta and Precious for the little things and you have:

FVV/Dragic
    OG/GTJ
    Barnes/Yuta
    Siakam/Boucher
    Birch/Achiuwa
    Nurse doesn’t see FVV and Dragic on the court together? I wonder if that applies to Dragic and Flynn out there together too.

FVV/Dragic/Flynn/Banton

FVV/Dragic
    OG/GTJ
    Barnes/Yuta
    Siakam/Boucher
    Birch/Achiuwa
    prob the line up considering how often McCaw started and he was ***. Barnes has a similar skillset but he's better so yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if Precious beats Birch for the start later in the season. I wonder if he'll start GTJ or Barnes while Siakam is out.

Instead a starting lineup y'all can roll with especially after Summer League and since Siakam is out (injury)

PG- Fred VanVleet (1)
    SG- Gary Trent Jr (2)
    SF- Scottie Barnes (3)
    PF- OG Anunoby (4)
    C- Precious Achiuwa (5)

Bench

PG- Malachi Flynn (1)
    SG- Goran Dragic (2)
    SF- Yuta Watanabe (3; he would get slotted over to small forward)

PF- Chris Boucher (4)
    C- Khem Birch (5)

Reserves

- Freddie Gillespie
    - Dalano Banton
    - Champagnie
    - Wainwright

It's crazy that a guy who has never really been more than a 4th option offensively in the NBA is going to be our primary scorer to begin the year. They really need OG, FVV and GTJ all to score 20+ ppg for at least first month or two. None of them excel at getting to the basket and finishing in traffic, so hopefully they can get hot from 3 with all the early home games.

FVV/Dragic/Flynn/Banton

FVV/Dragic
    OG/GTJ
    Barnes/Yuta
    Siakam/Boucher
    Birch/Achiuwa
    I had never thought deeply about GTjr off the bench, but if he can proved Lou Williams type offence off the bench he could add a ton of value.

It's crazy that a guy who has never really been more than a 4th option offensively in the NBA is going to be our primary scorer to begin the year. They really need OG, FVV and GTJ all to score 20+ ppg for at least first month or two. None of them excel at getting to the basket and finishing in traffic, so hopefully they can get hot from 3 with all the early home games.
    Which one you referring to? We have a bunch of those lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Which one you referring to? We have a bunch of those lmao.
    OG. He's the one everyone seems to be saying is going to be the new "#1 option". Not the "new leader" in FVV. Not GTJ...(the guy they traded for to replace our former top scorer in Powell). Everyone says its going to be OG after the summer he put in.

I mean I hope he succeeds of course, I just don't think we can count on it. When everyone else's top defender is on him and defenses are focused on him its going to be a lot different than anything he has ever seen. Siakam had a solid handle when they gave him the #1 role , but not the jumper to create a lot of his own shots.

I think it will be another ball movement orientated offense like every other non Kawhi year. I don't think he leads the team in FGA's by much, but he will be among the top to start for sure.

I mean it's all relative. We're a middle of the pack team and that's where the expectations should be. Doesn't really make sense to me to be comparing ourselves with teams loaded with talent. The teams with a clear cut no.1 option are all competing more or less. Ofc OG isn't going to be Kawhi but baby steps.

And Powell wasn't doing anything special. He didn't create at all, he was a play finisher which is exactly what Trent is. Only reason Portland traded for him was because they thought he could create on his own and looked how that turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by ecart View Post
    I mean it's all relative. We're a middle of the pack team and that's where the expectations should be. Doesn't really make sense to me to be comparing ourselves with teams loaded with talent. The teams with a clear cut no.1 option are all competing more or less. Ofc OG isn't going to be Kawhi but baby steps.

And Powell wasn't doing anything special. He didn't create at all, he was a play finisher which is exactly what Trent is. Only reason Portland traded for him was because they thought he could create on his own and looked how that turned out.
    I don't think you are right at all about Powell. One, Portland acquired him to finish plays created by Dame 💵. ..He proved himself to be a knock down shooter from all over the floor.

Two, finishing is exactly what every team needs. Powell was scoring a super efficient 20+ ppg from all over the floor as a starter without the ball constantly in his hands. He fits into any offense, he just isn't an iso scoring #1 option. He's a really good 2nd or 3rd option though since he doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time to get buckets. I don't think GTJ is on the same level as Powell as a scorer. He's not as athletic above the rim or the same outside shooter.

The problem in Portland is they effectively acquired Powell to play SF by pairing him with their 2 guards. He was ok at that here too, but was excellent at starting SG once he got the chance. Once CJ is traded (...which is just an assumption on my part...) I think Powell will have a big season in Portland playing off Dame.

The question for team now is just how committed are they to this "positionless" basketball plan? They can't do that AND keep FVV as their leader. ...or GTJ as a main piece. On top of Dragic, we could see both of them moved at the deadline to cut the cord and fully commit to this experiment.

We have seen it in short spurts with some other players, but they are almost ready to ditch dipping their pinky toe into the baby pool and jump all the way in to the deep end.

I don't think you are right at all about Powell. One, Portland acquired him to finish plays created by Dame 💵. ..He proved himself to be a knock down shooter from all over the floor.

Two, finishing is exactly what every team needs. Powell was scoring a super efficient 20+ ppg from all over the floor as a starter without the ball constantly in his hands. He fits into any offense, he just isn't an iso scoring #1 option. He's a really good 2nd or 3rd option though since he doesn't need the ball in his hands all the time to get buckets. I don't think GTJ is on the same level as Powell as a scorer. He's not as athletic above the rim or the same outside shooter.

The problem in Portland is they effectively acquired Powell to play SF by pairing him with their 2 guards. He was ok at that here too, but was excellent at starting SG once he got the chance. Once CJ is traded (...which is just an assumption on my part...) I think Powell will have a big season in Portland playing off Dame.

The question for team now is just how committed are they to this "positionless" basketball plan? They can't do that AND keep FVV as their leader. ...or GTJ as a main piece. On top of Dragic, we could see both of them moved at the deadline to cut the cord and fully commit to this experiment.

We have seen it in short spurts with some other players, but they are almost ready to ditch dipping their pinky toe into the baby pool and jump all the way in to the deep end.
    1. No, Olshey thought he could be more dynamic. They didn't want a play finisher.

2. Finishing is not what every team needs. There's an overabundance of play finishers in this league. The same cannot be said of players who are able to call their number at an efficient rate. There's a reason why the moniker "system player" exists. For every play initiator there's probably a dozen play finishers. I hope you realize you're just listing off what Powell is capable of and failing to differentiate him from a play finisher. If anything, you're basically describing a play finisher.

3. He struggled in Portland because they lack a structured environment. You're severely overrating the difficulty of Powell's possessions. If Powell was as good as you think he is, we would have gotten more from him. He was almost traded for Malik Monk before lamelo went down. There's no reason why Nurse can't turn to other players to plug that hole. Sure Gary wouldn't be involved in actions turning the corner, but there's no reason why Nurse can't create interesting actions down the middle with Gary, Scottie and OG. And we have already been given a snippet of these actions already in pre-season.

4. Nah they love Fred. They think he's the best nail defender in the league. I mean I'm not high on Fred but positionless basketball doesn't mean a forward at every position. It literally just means you're not conforming to league positional norms.
    Last edited by ecart; 10-18-2021 at 10:03 PM.