Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Sluggo my analogy is fine. Also, he's the one who made it. Firefighters respond to fire to put them out. Cops respond to crimes to solve them but rarely actually prevent crime. This is well documented. If Captain Antifa shows up at FNK's house in Canada, he's toast. It doesn't matter if there are 2 cops per 100,000 people there or 2,000. This isn't the Minority Report. If someone has a road rage meltdown and pulls a gun on me, it doesn't matter.

If you want fewer houses to catch on fire you do things like distribute smoke detectors, make housing codes, regulations, use better materials, etc. There are all sorts of things we can do to reduce how often houses catch on fire, and that is independent of the number of firefighters. Firefighters who show up AFTER the fire has started.

Just like cops show up AFTER the crime has started.

If you care about reducing crime you should show some interest in addressing the underlying things that cause crime. The right has no real solution to fixing income inequality, criminal justice reform, ending the war on drugs, gun control...literally just about anything and everything that might reduce crime.
    bold, not really true. a visible police presence can help deter crime.

crime is a choice, criminals are responsible for their choices/decisions. many people in similar situations don't make the choose of crime.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome

Sluggo my analogy is fine. Also, he's the one who made it. Firefighters respond to fire to put them out. Cops respond to crimes to solve them but rarely actually prevent crime. This is well documented. If Captain Antifa shows up at FNK's house in Canada, he's toast. It doesn't matter if there are 2 cops per 100,000 people there or 2,000. This isn't the Minority Report. If someone has a road rage meltdown and pulls a gun on me, it doesn't matter.

If you want fewer houses to catch on fire you do things like distribute smoke detectors, make housing codes, regulations, use better materials, etc. There are all sorts of things we can do to reduce how often houses catch on fire, and that is independent of the number of firefighters. Firefighters who show up AFTER the fire has started.

Just like cops show up AFTER the crime has started.

If you care about reducing crime you should show some interest in addressing the underlying things that cause crime. The right has no real solution to fixing income inequality, criminal justice reform, ending the war on drugs, gun control...literally just about anything and everything that might reduce crime.
    Bold 2……You have yo be kidding with this. You see a radio car on the highway, do you check your speed??? Everyone does. In NYC………if the police are near the turnstiles, the turnstile jumping disappears.

Get real here.

Bold 2……Which is what I said. Fires are caused by carelessness or accidents.. Tripling the number of firefighters would have no effect (although it may get the put out faster). Tripling the number of police (not really feasible but it) would have a huge effect in crime prevention.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Bold 2……You have yo be kidding with this. You see a radio car on the highway, do you check your speed??? Everyone does. In NYC………if the police are near the turnstiles, the turnstile jumping disappears.

Get real here.

Bold 2……Which is what I said. Fires are caused by carelessness or accidents.. Tripling the number of firefighters would have no effect (although it may get the put out faster). Tripling the number of police (not really feasible but it) would have a huge effect in crime prevention.
    Would you like to direct me towards the evidence that suggests that FNK is right? Since he won't. Maybe you can?
    HELLO

Would you like to direct me towards the evidence that suggests that FNK is right? Since he won't. Maybe you can?
    Right about what???

Why not comment on what I said……

Get real here.

The thing is, there are a lot of people/studies that say adding more cops does reduce violence. There are also plenty that suggest otherwise. I asked initially because I think the arguments are debatable and would've loved to get into it. Then I realized you weren't interested in that and just kept asking. But it's out there. You can make your argument better.

Sluggo, how many sexual assaults do you think cops prevent each year? How many outstanding sexual assault/rape cases are stuck in backlog?

The answer to the first question is going to be some variation of "not a lot". The second answer will be "way too many". You can pump all the money you want into militaristic police, but unless you are serious about fixing the underlying problems and truly reforming how we police, crimes here to stay. It's insane to me that neither of you will budge off of your belief that all that needs to be done is MORE COPS.
    HELLO

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011