Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 155
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    66,028

    Cori Bush thoughts and defunding the Police/Private security

    I know nothing about Cori Bush (I donít think she is related to George) but Iíve seen this a couple times. Can someone explain why this is hypocritical? Privation of security seems in line with defunding the police and is normally the type of thing conservatives are for imo. Tell me what you think about this and Ms. Bush


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 08-08-2021 at 11:57 AM.
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    18,998
    I'm gonna say....not related to George. Reggie, maybe, but not George.



    I question privitization of jails and security because the safety of Americans and our justice system should not be a capitalist endeavor. Add money/profits into the mix and the result is nothing like most of us would want.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    104,404
    I get what youíre saying about privatization about security being in line with defund the police. But it violates one of the other principles that she and others have stood for, which is making things not just available to those who can afford it.

    Itís very undemocratic (small d). We should be focusing on proposing changes to our society that will make things better for all people. More money for body cams, an entirely non-police review of all officer shootings, additional money for non-police response units, and other things like that are possible proposals.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    66,028
    Did she turn down a publicly provided security detail to hire private security?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    46,135
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I'm gonna say....not related to George. Reggie, maybe, but not George.



    I question privitization of jails and security because the safety of Americans and our justice system should not be a capitalist endeavor. Add money/profits into the mix and the result is nothing like most of us would want.
    Agreed wholeheartedly. The moment you make something for profit it no longer becomes about what it is and immediately becomes about making the most money.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    25,319
    She wants to use tax payer dollars to fund her own security force while defunding it for regular people.
    She announced this in a very abrasive and juvenile manner that garnered extra attention.

    Personally I understand the problems with police and would like to see more privatized security, but that is not really her policy here and a majority of her criticizers see the police as a desired force to combat criminals.

    She is also a gun control zealot and has demonized other people for defending themselves and their property.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    66,028

    Cori Bush thoughts and defunding the Police/Private security

    Quote Originally Posted by cambovenzi View Post
    She wants to use tax payer dollars to fund her own security force while defunding it for regular people.
    She announced this in a very abrasive and juvenile manner that garnered extra attention.

    Personally I understand the problems with police and would like to see more privatized security, but that is not really her policy here and a majority of her criticizers see the police as a desired force to combat criminals.

    She is also a gun control zealot and has demonized other people for defending themselves and their property.
    So itís not hypocritical bc itís private. Itís hypocritical bc she is spending tax payer money on her own security when defunding the police would provide less security for regular citizens. Is that right? Iím not defending or attacking her or private security/prisons in general. I just didnít understand how it was ďhypocriticalĒ. If people are mad about bc itís stupid thatís ok too but itís just different then it being ďhypocriticalĒ and that was what I saw.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,011
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I know nothing about Cori Bush (I donít think she is related to George) but Iíve seen this a couple times. Can someone explain why this is hypocritical? Privation of security seems in line with defunding the police and is normally the type of thing conservatives are for imo. Tell me what you think about this and Ms. Bush


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While I fully agree with her that there is a need for legislators on both sides of the aisle to have adequate protection from harm given their high profile.
    What makes the stance hypocritical is the fact that many of the same people who insist that we should defund the police and redirect funding to social services are themselves spending large amounts of money on private security and giving additional funding to Capital Police who BTW are not bound by the same transparency laws as everyone else. (You can't make a FOIA request of Capital Police)

    However, the communities for which these people call for the defunding of police are often the poorest and are the least capable of hiring security.
    We see this all the time in poor countries, where the wealthy pay for private security for their neighborhoods and schools, businesses (that they work and shop at) while poor neighborhoods are deeply underserved and protected and fall into violence.

    In a sense, she and others like her are saying security for me, not for thee.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    8,011
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I'm gonna say....not related to George. Reggie, maybe, but not George.



    I question privitization of jails and security because the safety of Americans and our justice system should not be a capitalist endeavor. Add money/profits into the mix and the result is nothing like most of us would want.
    IDK Scandanavia has privatized prisons and does pretty well with it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    45,326
    Someday, I hope some of you are able to pass through St Louis. While you're here, you should head to the Central West End and see the neighborhood where the McCluskey's were oh so very fearful for their lives, and then you can laugh and laugh at how ridiculous they are.

    Then you can head to North St Louis, where Cori Bush is from, and see what those neighborhoods are like. Northwoods, Jennings, Wellston, Normandy, Pine Lawn.. none of these places are being helped by the St Louis police. Wellston is in the 5th percentile for safety - 95% of cities in the country are safer. The STL PD has an annual budget of $204 million, and North St Louis is a war zone.

    But god forbid we try something else, right?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    45,326
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    IDK Scandanavia has privatized prisons and does pretty well with it.
    Denmark, Norway, and Sweden all do?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    18,998
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    IDK Scandanavia has privatized prisons and does pretty well with it.
    and none of those countries have a democratic government or the same type of capitalistic economy
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    104,404
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Agreed wholeheartedly. The moment you make something for profit it no longer becomes about what it is and immediately becomes about making the most money.
    You can privatize something and it be run perfectly legitimately. But the problem is with prisons, there is absolutely no incentive for prisons to be run in a way that creates a path towards what happens after incarceration. There is a profit motive to create as many prisoners as possible. That leads the prisons to invest in politicians who will make more laws that lock more people up.

    Private prisons should be outlawed if it were up to me.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

    https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    18,998
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    You can privatize something and it be run perfectly legitimately. But the problem is with prisons, there is absolutely no incentive for prisons to be run in a way that creates a path towards what happens after incarceration. There is a profit motive to create as many prisoners as possible. That leads the prisons to invest in politicians who will make more laws that lock more people up.

    Private prisons should be outlawed if it were up to me.
    substitute private prisons with pharmaceuticals and we see some of what the problem could be.....difference being, there's no going away from the private sector with pharmaceuticals, there still is with prisons

    problem is, there's ways to do a lot of things perfectly legitimately that snowball out of control the more money there is involved......just another way so much of what we view as capitalism has become pure greed
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    8,599
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Someday, I hope some of you are able to pass through St Louis. While you're here, you should head to the Central West End and see the neighborhood where the McCluskey's were oh so very fearful for their lives, and then you can laugh and laugh at how ridiculous they are.

    Then you can head to North St Louis, where Cori Bush is from, and see what those neighborhoods are like. Northwoods, Jennings, Wellston, Normandy, Pine Lawn.. none of these places are being helped by the St Louis police. Wellston is in the 5th percentile for safety - 95% of cities in the country are safer. The STL PD has an annual budget of $204 million, and North St Louis is a war zone.

    But god forbid we try something else, right?
    Sounds like you need more funding for police, rather than less.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •