Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agency

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    LMAO- watch the warriors sign oubre with the midlevel
    Naw heís gonna walk somewhere else and chase a ring now that the money has dried up but he likely feels done with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I don't think the MLE gets used.

That Lakers team is a mess. Nunn does sting a bit. I do wonder how much PT he'll get with that team.

Nunn signing there also means Schroder may be screwed which I don't mind.
    Watch it be used on Iggy

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    Naw heís gonna walk somewhere else and chase a ring now that the money has dried up but he likely feels done with us.
    its ironic, his best chance to get paid anywhere near what he was seeking appears to have been a sign and trade....

I don't think the MLE gets used.

That Lakers team is a mess. Nunn does sting a bit. I do wonder how much PT he'll get with that team.

Nunn signing there also means Schroder may be screwed which I don't mind.
    it appears that lacob is becomong a little bit more like cohan in his old days.

after watching the warriors try and fight their way into the playoffs playing bazemore and JTA 25-30 minutes a night the last month of the season..... it really makes you think they should be going out of their way to sign NBA quality depth for their bench..... as much of it as possible just in case a few injuries come up.

Im wondering now if they missed out on Batum because they offered him a vets minimum and not the MLE

its ironic, his best chance to get paid anywhere near what he was seeking appears to have been a sign and trade....
    Didnít we offer him like 15 mill and he wanted 20

I dont think the warriors made him any offer.... it would actually shock me if they did.

Yep

it appears that lacob is becomong a little bit more like cohan in his old days.

after watching the warriors try and fight their way into the playoffs playing bazemore and JTA 25-30 minutes a night the last month of the season..... it really makes you think they should be going out of their way to sign NBA quality depth for their bench..... as much of it as possible just in case a few injuries come up.

Im wondering now if they missed out on Batum because they offered him a vets minimum and not the MLE
    I don't know how people get to these takes.

The tax bill this year is $200M on top of the top payroll in the NBA that at the moment is $97M OVER the cap. This is not Cohan kind of behavior.

Batum resurrected his career in LA, his family moved to LA, LA could match the money the Warriors offered. Batum gets a LOT more PT in LA. I didn't think he was coming to the Warriors, I just thought of the SF options out there he was the best/most likely one out there.

I didn't really think the Warriors had a shot at Porter or Bjelica either.

The Lakers are the Lakers, they are a different animal because they are the Lakers. They are the number one team in fanbase in the world. They are in LA where NBA players can make the most money away from the court. They have LeBron. And something that does not get much talk is that the Lakers had a mostly empty roster, which means that every player they talk to they can say they have a chance to start and to be big minute players. Players want to play. Players think that they will be great and when they show out on the Lakers they will get to go elsewhere for good money.

Meanwhile the Warriors have 4 of their starting spots locked up, and a bunch of investment in depth. Free agents look at the Warriors and see that there just are not that minutes to be had, and that there is built in competition for EVERY minute.

People complain about the Warriors not signing players but generally don't talk about specific players they could/should have signed that actually signed for less money than the Warriors had available.

My dream players of TJ, Batum, and Olynyk went for like $80M+ ... I knew it was a long shot to get any one of them at the full TPMLE (the most the Warriors can offer) but instead TJ was WILDLY over paid and Olynyk was just overpaid.

Another point some fans don't seem to get is that the Warriors can't FORCE other teams/players to make/take deals. They can make offers and they can try to convince people to take it, but there is this perception that teams/players turning them down is somehow the Warriors fault. Players/Teams are out for what's best for themselves the vast majority of the time and that is not always going to be what the Warriors offer.

The speculation was that the Warriors might value him around $14M but his agent said he wanted 4 years $80M at a minimum.

No idea what will happen with him or Schroder now. Interestingly both have very "outsider" agents so they don't have the "insider" connections to get their clients deals by leveraging other relationships the way the big agents do.

I don't know how people get to these takes.

The tax bill this year is $200M on top of the top payroll in the NBA that at the moment is $97M OVER the cap. This is not Cohan kind of behavior.

Batum resurrected his career in LA, his family moved to LA, LA could match the money the Warriors offered. Batum gets a LOT more PT in LA. I didn't think he was coming to the Warriors, I just thought of the SF options out there he was the best/most likely one out there.

I didn't really think the Warriors had a shot at Porter or Bjelica either.

The Lakers are the Lakers, they are a different animal because they are the Lakers. They are the number one team in fanbase in the world. They are in LA where NBA players can make the most money away from the court. They have LeBron. And something that does not get much talk is that the Lakers had a mostly empty roster, which means that every player they talk to they can say they have a chance to start and to be big minute players. Players want to play. Players think that they will be great and when they show out on the Lakers they will get to go elsewhere for good money.

Meanwhile the Warriors have 4 of their starting spots locked up, and a bunch of investment in depth. Free agents look at the Warriors and see that there just are not that minutes to be had, and that there is built in competition for EVERY minute.

People complain about the Warriors not signing players but generally don't talk about specific players they could/should have signed that actually signed for less money than the Warriors had available.

My dream players of TJ, Batum, and Olynyk went for like $80M+ ... I knew it was a long shot to get any one of them at the full TPMLE (the most the Warriors can offer) but instead TJ was WILDLY over paid and Olynyk was just overpaid.

Another point some fans don't seem to get is that the Warriors can't FORCE other teams/players to make/take deals. They can make offers and they can try to convince people to take it, but there is this perception that teams/players turning them down is somehow the Warriors fault. Players/Teams are out for what's best for themselves the vast majority of the time and that is not always going to be what the Warriors offer.
    1) If you thought Porter and Bjelca were outside the warriors range.... what free agents were you expecting them to pick up? Just guys off the summer league roster? JTA, Michael Moulder type pick ups?

I mean you were talking about TJ and Kelly Olynick over the last 2-3 weeks as if they were realistic targets.

2) I have absolutely mentioned specific names. Batum, Kendrick Nunn, Rudy gay, Patty Mills etc. Lol this thread is full of specific names. You cant sit there and give a half *** excuse for each name- then turn around and say people arnet specifically naming anybody.

3) It isnt the warriors fault. by that logic- there isnt such thing as a good GM right. its all just pure luck. If you can credit a front office for being able to attract talent.... then yes you can critique a front office for repeatedly falling short in free agency. Im not saying its always going to be a perfectly even playing field but that doesnt mean there should be an absence of any accountability. when they dont even look to use their mid level exception 2 yrs in a row when a bunch of quality players go at the mid level exception.....questions need to come up.

1) If you thought Porter and Bjelca were outside the warriors range.... what free agents were you expecting them to pick up? Just guys off the summer league roster? JTA, Michael Moulder type pick ups?

I mean you were talking about TJ and Kelly Olynick over the last 2-3 weeks as if they were realistic targets.

2) I have absolutely mentioned specific names. Batum, Kendrick Nunn, Rudy gay, Patty Mills etc. Lol this thread is full of specific names. You cant sit there and give a half *** excuse for each name- then turn around and say people arnet specifically naming anybody.

3) It isnt the warriors fault. by that logic- there isnt such thing as a good GM right. its all just pure luck. If you can credit a front office for being able to attract talent.... then yes you can critique a front office for repeatedly falling short in free agency. Im not saying its always going to be a perfectly even playing field but that doesnt mean there should be an absence of any accountability. when they dont even look to use their mid level exception 2 yrs in a row when a bunch of quality players go at the mid level exception.....questions need to come up.
    TJ and Batum were the "dream" I thought both were possible and I said that Batum just came down to Batum's choice since the Warriors and Clippers could offer the same money. Supposedly Batum wanted to play for Kerr so that was a draw, but it was always just going to be his choice. TJ I was shocked how much money he got.

Batum was offered the money and chose to go elsewhere. Nunn I would have liked but he got the TPMLE from the Lakers where he can get more PT and the Warriors have the disadvantage of having cut him. Gay signed for more than the Warriors could offer, and he would be joining the deepest position on the Warriors. Patty Mills I didn't want. In most of those cases I think the Warriors lost out by having a better option or by the free agent choosing a bigger chance to contribute, those are not things under the Warriors control.

Good GMs build the roster by making the choices available to them. The Warriors had the majority of their roster in place and very little money to offer. All Myers can do is coordinate a sales job to convince players to take less money to play as part of a team on a 1 year deal. Most players want more money, more playing time, and longer contracts. The fact that the 2 guys signed had offers for more from other teams shows he was doing his job. You are assuming the Warriors didn't offer their TPMLE with no evidence ... all we have is media reports that the Warriors were in on Mills and Batum and those players chose destinations where they can play bigger roles. The fact that the Warriors roster was strong enough to scare them away is a credit to Myers work. Myers turned KD leaving for nothing into Wiggins and Kuminga, THAT is good GM work.

I have no issue with the questions, but when the answers are evident the blame game that follows makes no sense. People saying things like "Myers didn't sign TJ, fire him" are just not paying attention. The reality is more like "Jesus, TJ got paid WHAT? Well, nothing Myers can do about that".

Did you see any trades talked about that made the Warriors better overall that the Warriors didn't take? I didn't. I heard media speculation that the Warriors had to go all-in to win now and other teams trying to take advantage of that by jacking up their prices to the Warriors. I also say Klay working out and being happy with the team. I saw Draymond cheering the draft selections while the media said he demanded no more rookies. I saw Curry saying he never wanted to play anywhere else and re-upping to stay a Warrior.

As for using the TPMLE or not ... Myers has said that they have no problem paying for talent that makes sense on the quality added to the team and the list of players WORTH the TPMLE (and HUGE tax bill) and WILLING to take it and WILLING to choose the Warriors was a very short list.

That the Warriors are willingly paying more money than any team in the history of the NBA has ever paid by a huge margin should be enough for you to throw out that "cheap" argument entirely. The fact that they added to that bill by re-upping Steph to the largest contract in NBA history is further proof.

If the Warriors S&T Oubre for Ingles will it erase all of your concerns? It's possible, but not likely.

Do you think the Lakers GM has done a good job? He didn't "get" LeBron, or AD, or Westbrook ... LeBron chose the Lakers and AD chose LeBron. They then overpaid for Westbrook and Gasol (after having overpaid for several other players over the last 2 years). Then, with an empty roster they loaded up on a bunch of marginal players who want to play with LeBron and want to play in LA. Look at that roster ... does it look good? To me it looks like a disfunctional team. It may work because LeBron so dominates the way a game is played, but it's OLD and has a bunch of players who have always played with the ball in their hands and they only get 1 ball. Even with the advantages the Lakers have I think Myers did a MUCH better GMing job this year.

warriors havent added a single true center or anybody to their back court at all. I am hopeful that Moses Moody will be a little bit better.... or atleast he will be a good rotation piece faster than a lot have expected. I am not sold on Jordan Poole as a point guard....... I almost feel better with Nico trying to work his way into the rotation.

BTW- Knicks just picked up Kemba walker off the buy out market... another guy the warriors could have added to their back court depth.

warriors havent added a single true center or anybody to their back court at all. I am hopeful that Moses Moody will be a little bit better.... or atleast he will be a good rotation piece faster than a lot have expected. I am not sold on Jordan Poole as a point guard....... I almost feel better with Nico trying to work his way into the rotation.

BTW- Knicks just picked up Kemba walker off the buy out market... another guy the warriors could have added to their back court depth.
    In veterans? Yes, that's true. I don't really want to add someone just to add them, but I'd like them to add Neto and Chriss. That said, a back court rotation of Curry, Klay, Poole, Wiggins, Moody, GP2, and Nico is not bad. I just want someone else who can create back there.

At center, the Warriors want players who can switch on to guards, and in Bjelica they added a guy who played 70% of his minutes at 5 who can shoot and play well next to Green. And Wiseman is a true center. That said, I like Chriss because of his activity and his shot has been looking a LOT better since he spent a full year shooting with a broken leg.

I hope they do something, but them not having done anything yet doesn't mean they don't have something set up. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Chriss has agreed but they are waiting to see what else comes up.

There are also buyouts coming in the next couple weeks and I don't want the Warriors to be excluded from acting on them.

Lee I would guess is the last cut if they find a vet they like better.

Trades can't happen yet by rule so there may well be other moves in place.

The main point is that it's too early to conclude anything since it's still happening.

Would Jeff Teague be a target worth considering to give us 15-20 minutes a game

Would Jeff Teague be a target worth considering to give us 15-20 minutes a game
    He's been on 4 teams in 2 years ... I don't think he's got much left.

It would be interesting to pick up Dennis Schroder

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast