Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Playoff predictions

Now were through the deadline and have made some huge trades to bring in help, do you guys think its enough to get us to the playoffs? if yes how far do you see us going. Give us your answer now and we'll see who's right on OCT 4

What kind of grades do you guys give Cashman for pulling off all these moves? how would you grade each trade

Looking at our schedule and then seeing how much the Jays, Rays and Suxs play each other, we really have a chance to make up alot of ground in a hurry.

While the cost hurt, some more than others, IMO were a much better team on both sides of the ball than we were 3 days ago.

I'm going to bank on at least 1 of Sevy or Kluber coming back and pitching to expectations and this lineup gelling enough to get us into the WC game. I also think we improved more than any other AL East team.

I would give Cashman a solid B for what he's done the last few days. He didn't deal any of the top, really special specs which leaves us with so many great options going forward. A couple of the specs he gave up could really bite us, but overall he did an amazing job of upgrading the team without giving up the best pieces we have.

He also did a very good job getting value for potential rule V guys this winter. There was zero chance we were going to be able to protect even most of those guys and most of the specs we traded were on that rule V list

Cessa and Wilson trade C-. Cessa was having a pretty good yr but Wilson was complete dead weight and getting rid of his salary for this yr and next is a plus. IMO this was a case of you have to give something descent to off set the bad contract in the deal. Cessa might sting a little now, but with all the arms we have coming, he'll be a distant memory by this time next yr

Gallo trade B+, i'm still not crazy about the fit in the lineup but he definitely makes us better on both sides of the ball and is under control next yr. Considering what we gave up, overall this was a pretty good deal. If the reliever we got back is any good, this could go up a half grade

Rizzo trade B-. I love everything about getting Rizzo, i've thought he'd be a great fit here for yrs. I love the fit for the lineup and especially the clubhouse. This trade made getting Gallo alot better because Rizzo is far more the type of hitter we needed. The reason i give it a B- is because of what we had to give up. Alcantara was the prospect, IMO that sucked to lose the most and we gave him up so they would pay the rest of the salary of a rental .

Heaney trade C. Heaney has always had really good stuff but just has never really put it together as a starter. It sounds like they plan to use him in a long relief role. If Blake could tweak a few things i could be a win but at this point it was just a trade to try and get something for 2 more rule V guys who were a ways down the depth chart

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Rizzo- B+. It sucks to lose Alcantara but Rizzo has the perfect bat for this lineup and he's great on D. It's a B+ because it's a rental and it cost an elite prospect. If he had a year or two left, I would give it an A

Gallo- C- Grading this trade on its own, I still dislike it. I know what he brings but he will be very annoying to watch him strike out every 3 times he steps in the box. Maybe he cuts those numbers and actually learns to hit. But until that happens, I don't like the trade at all

Heaney- F- WTF was this? You just throw a good spec to get a guy you hope to correct? Typical dumpster dive of cashman. I hope I am proven inaccurate in my assessment of him but I think this was DAF

Ignorance is bliss

Iím gonna agree with Day and Clown here. I like the Rizzo move because heís not an all or nothing guy at the plate,and I love his defense. I stated in the game post we havenít had a first baseman like this since Tex.
    Iím hoping that with the surrounding players Gallo relaxes and just tryís to be productive instead of hitting homerís every time heís up there. My fear is with Judge, Caveman, Gallo and Sanchez that itís like the guys in the gym wearing tank tops flexing their muscles for the chicks.
    In fairness to Judge although he does strike out a lot he does play good situational ball.
    I donít blame Cashman for these moves at all, because even though it seems Hal thinks he walks on water if he fails this year he and Boone have got to be on the chopping block. So if these moves do fail ,the minor leaguers that Cash traded? Well heís not gonna be around to see them anyway.
    The pitcher from the angels? Totally agree with Clown DAF, but to show you how naive I am it took me a few minutes to figure out what DAF meant.
    Do we make it? How far do we go? I stated in a previous post we just gotta get in! And if we beat the sux and the cheaters? Iíll be happy!!
    If we get a healthy Sevy back ,man that may be the biggest boost yet! That With the emergence of Cortes will really help to rest our bullpen, in years past by the time the playoffs come around their arms are falling off.
    Letís stay healthy healthy get Sevy and maybe even Kluber back and take our chances.
    But if we pitch we win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    Iím gonna agree with Day and Clown here. I like the Rizzo move because heís not an all or nothing guy at the plate,and I love his defense. I stated in the game post we havenít had a first baseman like this since Tex.
    Iím hoping that with the surrounding players Gallo relaxes and just tryís to be productive instead of hitting homerís every time heís up there. My fear is with Judge, Caveman, Gallo and Sanchez that itís like the guys in the gym wearing tank tops flexing their muscles for the chicks.
    In fairness to Judge although he does strike out a lot he does play good situational ball.
    I donít blame Cashman for these moves at all, because even though it seems Hal thinks he walks on water if he fails this year he and Boone have got to be on the chopping block. So if these moves do fail ,the minor leaguers that Cash traded? Well heís not gonna be around to see them anyway.
    The pitcher from the angels? Totally agree with Clown DAF, but to show you how naive I am it took me a few minutes to figure out what DAF meant.
    Do we make it? How far do we go? I stated in a previous post we just gotta get in! And if we beat the sux and the cheaters? Iíll be happy!!
    If we get a healthy Sevy back ,man that may be the biggest boost yet! That With the emergence of Cortes will really help to rest our bullpen, in years past by the time the playoffs come around their arms are falling off.
    Letís stay healthy healthy get Sevy and maybe even Kluber back and take our chances.
    But if we pitch we win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much agree with what's been said. I'd actually give the Rizzo deal at least an A-. Great fit for this team. I'll learn to live with Gallo. As far as Heaney...WTH? That's the best you could come up with? Not feeling good about that one.
    I still think they can grab that 2nd wildcard and win the one game playoff. And I think they could win one series after that. Then not so sure. One never knows.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post
    Pretty much agree with what's been said. I'd actually give the Rizzo deal at least an A-. Great fit for this team. I'll learn to live with Gallo. As far as Heaney...WTH? That's the best you could come up with? Not feeling good about that one.
    I still think they can grab that 2nd wildcard and win the one game playoff. And I think they could win one series after that. Then not so sure. One never knows.
    agreed,you just never know and I think if we stay healthy we can make some noise,,and seriously if we beat the sux or the cheaters that sure would give us some revenge,,and as the cab driver said to Elaine in Seinfeld "revenge is good"

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Rizzo- B+. It sucks to lose Alcantara but Rizzo has the perfect bat for this lineup and he's great on D. It's a B+ because it's a rental and it cost an elite prospect. If he had a year or two left, I would give it an A

Gallo- C- Grading this trade on its own, I still dislike it. I know what he brings but he will be very annoying to watch him strike out every 3 times he steps in the box. Maybe he cuts those numbers and actually learns to hit. But until that happens, I don't like the trade at all

Heaney- F- WTF was this? You just throw a good spec to get a guy you hope to correct? Typical dumpster dive of cashman. I hope I am proven inaccurate in my assessment of him but I think this was DAF
    I was told they like Heaney as a reliever, not a starter. They think his stuff with play up out of the BP. Heaney has always had a couple really good pitches but struggled get through lineups multiple times. If they can tweak 1 or 2 very little things, he could be very effective down the stretch.

I really didn't like trading Junk for him, Junk played HS ball about 30 minutes from me, but at best he was a 4th/5th starter going forward. Both the guys we gave up were rule V guys this winter and had very little chance of being protected

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I was told they like Heaney as a reliever, not a starter. They think his stuff with play up out of the BP. Heaney has always had a couple really good pitches but struggled get through lineups multiple times. If they can tweak 1 or 2 very little things, he could be very effective down the stretch.

I really didn't like trading Junk for him, Junk played HS ball about 30 minutes from me, but at best he was a 4th/5th starter going forward. Both the guys we gave up were rule V guys this winter and had very little chance of being protected
    Ahhh. That makes it a bit more palpable. So does your assessment about him going to the pen. If he can be a strong reliever? Awesome.

Ignorance is bliss

Ahhh. That makes it a bit more palpable. So does your assessment about him going to the pen. If he can be a strong reliever? Awesome.
    If those 2 weren't going to be rule V eligible this winter, they never would have traded them for an well below avg starter like Heaney

I was told they really like 2 of his pitches and think with a couple tweaks, he could be a Pomerez type reliever. I was told Blake has always like what he has seen of him and get his stats to match the stuff. If he could even be Pomerez lite , that would be a nice pickup for us.

Rizzo- A - He's LH, has a good eye (close to a 1:1 K/BB ratio) and 2 strike discipline...everything this lineup needed. Not only that, he's a good defender too! He is an UPGRADE over Voit at 1B. Nuff said.

Gallo- D - We already have so many all or nothing guys why need another? Heck Adam Frazier would've been better for the Yankees than Gallo, yes the guy who has a career .282 BA and doesn't have any particular skills that stands out lol. For the record, I never wanted Frazier but would take him over Gallo. Seriously, if you guys are frustrated with Stanton...now you get to see 2 Stanton's in the lineup! Yes he's GG caliber defensively in RF and can play CF...so what! Judge can do that too.

Someone once told me we don't need a LH bat just to add a LH bat...I'm sorry but that's all Gallo is to me. The only reason it's not an F he's a better alternative than Gardner or LaMarre. All this said, I hope he proves me wrong because I am a Yankee fan. I will gladly take grief from everyone if he helps the Yankees win the WS lol. Let's see what happens...

Heaney - C - everyone knows he has good stuff but crap stats. The good thing is he comes in with low expectations which means there's not that much pressure on him. I would like to see the Yankees try to turn him into an Andrew Miller type RP. I have hope for him.

The one good thing now that the deadline has past is the Sux failure to add SP. This will come back to bite them imo. Adding Schwarber was a luxury (their offense is already good) but they failed to add necessity in SP. I fully expect the Sux not to be able to pull away from the pack of 4 in the East which is gonna lead to a interesting September!

Quote Originally Posted by 808yankee View Post
    Rizzo- A - He's LH, has a good eye (close to a 1:1 K/BB ratio) and 2 strike discipline...everything this lineup needed. Not only that, he's a good defender too! He is an UPGRADE over Voit at 1B. Nuff said.

Gallo- D - We already have so many all or nothing guys why need another? Heck Adam Frazier would've been better for the Yankees than Gallo, yes the guy who has a career .282 BA and doesn't have any particular skills that stands out lol. For the record, I never wanted Frazier but would take him over Gallo. Seriously, if you guys are frustrated with Stanton...now you get to see 2 Stanton's in the lineup! Yes he's GG caliber defensively in RF and can play CF...so what! Judge can do that too.

Someone once told me we don't need a LH bat just to add a LH bat...I'm sorry but that's all Gallo is to me. The only reason it's not an F he's a better alternative than Gardner or LaMarre. All this said, I hope he proves me wrong because I am a Yankee fan. I will gladly take grief from everyone if he helps the Yankees win the WS lol. Let's see what happens...

Heaney - C - everyone knows he has good stuff but crap stats. The good thing is he comes in with low expectations which means there's not that much pressure on him. I would like to see the Yankees try to turn him into an Andrew Miller type RP. I have hope for him.

The one good thing now that the deadline has past is the Sux failure to add SP. This will come back to bite them imo. Adding Schwarber was a luxury (their offense is already good) but they failed to add necessity in SP. I fully expect the Sux not to be able to pull away from the pack of 4 in the East which is gonna lead to a interesting September!
    there is a possibility that Heaney get 1 or 2 spot start before Sevy get back. From what i understand they do want try Heaney in a BP role. They like the Sinker/ Slider combo and think it could play up out of the BP

If they hadn't gotten Rizzo i would have give the Gallo deal about a D also. From me I have to grade the deals based on each other or the Gallo deal was terrible.

The Yanks need to balance the lineup, add a contact/ low K guy, get more athletic and improve defensively. Rizzo checks 3 of those 4 boxes. Gallo does add balance to the lineup, gets on base a ton, is incredibly athletic, can play plus defense at 4 positions and has one of the better arms in baseball.

Another huge thing is Gallo has only grounded into 8 DP in his career, that will help us. He's a massive improvement over Gardy, Frazier, Andujar, LeMarre and all the rest of the crap we've been playing in LF all yr. You also have to take into account we didn't touch our top specs to get him and he is under control thru next yr.

I would have much preferred that they would have gotten a Frazier, J Ram or K Marte but those guys would have absolutely cost us multiple pieces from the top of our system.

What Cashman did at the deadline was upgrade the roster for this yr and next, without compromising our most talented specs. He really left us in a good position for this winter. Considering what we gave up and that he didn't touch any of our best specs to get these deals done and how much value he got back for rule V guys that we were going to lose this winter, I think Cashman did a solid job with what little money he had to work with

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    there is a possibility that Heaney get 1 or 2 spot start before Sevy get back. From what i understand they do want try Heaney in a BP role. They like the Sinker/ Slider combo and think it could play up out of the BP

If they hadn't gotten Rizzo i would have give the Gallo deal about a D also. From me I have to grade the deals based on each other or the Gallo deal was terrible.

The Yanks need to balance the lineup, add a contact/ low K guy, get more athletic and improve defensively. Rizzo checks 3 of those 4 boxes. Gallo does add balance to the lineup, gets on base a ton, is incredibly athletic, can play plus defense at 4 positions and has one of the better arms in baseball.

Another huge thing is Gallo has only grounded into 8 DP in his career, that will help us. He's a massive improvement over Gardy, Frazier, Andujar, LeMarre and all the rest of the crap we've been playing in LF all yr. You also have to take into account we didn't touch our top specs to get him and he is under control thru next yr.

I would have much preferred that they would have gotten a Frazier, J Ram or K Marte but those guys would have absolutely cost us multiple pieces from the top of our system.

What Cashman did at the deadline was upgrade the roster for this yr and next, without compromising our most talented specs. He really left us in a good position for this winter. Considering what we gave up and that he didn't touch any of our best specs to get these deals done and how much value he got back for rule V guys that we were going to lose this winter, I think Cashman did a solid job with what little money he had to work with

I really don't want to knock Gallo as a player, he is who is and there is plenty of value in that, he's a good ballplayer. But what he brings to the table is quite redundant. If we didn't have Stanton, I'd be all for Gallo. To truly unlock the potential of Judge, Sanchez and Stanton I feel we need to surround them with speed, contact hitting and of course some LH bats. I'm just tired of seeing these station to station guys getting stranded because the next guy up can't put the ball in play.

I also do agree with you that Cashman did a solid job getting what he did. But that does not excuse his failure in addressing these issues prior to this season starting. I mean c'mon getting schooled and eliminated by the Rays last year should be humiliating to a franchise like the Yankees, shortened season is no excuse.

Yes I know Hal handcuffed Cash this season with the salary cap but he gets paid a lot of money to make smart baseball decisions...so how in the world could he not see having all RH hitters, who are injury prone, strikeout way too much and can't hit worth a lick with RISP not a good idea? Especially with regular joe blow fans like myself and smarter ones like you Dayners can see they desperately need LH bats!?! Baseball like football is a copy cat league...once they figure you out, game over! You have to adjust/make changes....Cashman failed to adjust this lineup, he had Clint Frazier coming off a pretty good year heck he even made news with his defense, his value was up. He had Luke Voit the shortened season home run champ, market value up. Deivi Garcia value up. I'd think a good GM would've traded one or two of them for a LH bat or pitching!

Oh well, I went long with my rant lol....I guess Cashman's motto should be better late than never