Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 206
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    32,565
    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    Not asking Russ to do anything he hasnít already done for two months straight.

    And yeah Lebrons influence with 4 rings >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The ringless tandem of Harden/Pringles...lol...what? if they couldnít what makes me think Bron could...lol...
    You clearly missed my point about his small sample size of good play entirely. I wasn't using that as an example of why this can work; I'm using it to show how wildly inconsistent amd frustrating he is as a player. News flash: He's not going to be that guy for a full seaon. I don't need a crystal ball to look into that future to know the outcome either.

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    32,565
    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    Melo just shot better from 3 than Heild last year and heís gonna get a vet min. You wanna pay the current version of Melo 24 mill when yoo can him and others like him for the vet min? Or get a one of a kind player in Russ who has the ability to be great if he plays like he did for Houston in that 2 month stretch. Bron and AD will influence what and how he does things on the court way more than any guys ever. So if pringles and James can get him to do it for 2 months, I think Bron and AD and a winning culture can get him to do it for a year.
    I could take the same logic you just showed for Hield for Russ and say "Look at player X, who did A and B better than Russ while making a fraction of the money." It wouldn't be hard, because there are a ton of point guards out there who are better at many things than Westy at this point in his career who don't make $44 million. That's kind of my point. At least with Hield, they would have got a guy who actually fit their offense and made half as much money.

  3. 08-01-2021, 08:56 AM
    Reason
    Not needed

  4. 08-01-2021, 11:51 AM
    Reason
    Not needed

  5. #168
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,473
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    You clearly missed my point about his small sample size of good play entirely. I wasn't using that as an example of why this can work; I'm using it to show how wildly inconsistent amd frustrating he is as a player. News flash: He's not going to be that guy for a full seaon. I don't need a crystal ball to look into that future to know the outcome either.
    And Iím using your example for why it CAN work

  6. #169
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,473
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I could take the same logic you just showed for Hield for Russ and say "Look at player X, who did A and B better than Russ while making a fraction of the money." It wouldn't be hard, because there are a ton of point guards out there who are better at many things than Westy at this point in his career who don't make $44 million. That's kind of my point. At least with Hield, they would have got a guy who actually fit their offense and made half as much money.
    Who are these PGís. Who makes 3 mill and does what Russ does? Melo does exactly what Buddy does for the vet min. Who does the exact same thing Russ can do at letís say 5-6 mill to keep it the same ratio of money that Melo to Hield is?

  7. #170
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    9,556
    Add Jeff Green, Wayne Ellington, Dwight Howard, and JaVale McGee to the list of potential ring chasers. They aren't gonna have enough roster spots for all the rumored names lol

  8. 08-01-2021, 01:42 PM
    Reason
    Not needed

  9. #171
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    13,069
    This looks like it got off the rails...

    Originally I thought this was a bad fit for the Lakers. Still dont think it's great but there's a path to a decently successful team. I know AD hates playing the 5, but AD at the 5 and LeBron at the 4 with shooters at the 2 and 3 would make a pretty decent lineup. AD stretches the floor enough that you really only have Russ as a non shooter. LeBron obviously isn't known as an elite shooter, but hes pretty close to league average. It not like he's Ben Simmons out there.

    The bucks did a decent job of this at times too, but if you take one of LeBron or Russ our fairly early in the first and third and then bring the back when you take the other one out, you can stagger their minutes so one is almost always on the floor. LeBron played about 33 minutes a night and Russ played about 36. In the playoffs those numbers will probably go up, at least for Bron, but even if they're playing 38 a night each in the playoffs, if you stagger their minutes, they're only together for 25-30 minutes.

  10. #172
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    32,565
    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    And Iím using your example for why it CAN work
    Cool. It won't. I have 13 years to support my justification. You have a two-month sample size you didn't even know about until I mentioned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    Who are these PGís. Who makes 3 mill and does what Russ does? Melo does exactly what Buddy does for the vet min. Who does the exact same thing Russ can do at letís say 5-6 mill to keep it the same ratio of money that Melo to Hield is?
    Melo shoots a higher percentage on significantly lower volume. Nobody on the planet acutally thinks Melo is a better 3-point shooter than Hield.

    Also, I wouldn't want to get a poor man's Westbrook. I would want to get a point guard who does all the things the Lakers need their point guards to do. Rondo's a great example of a guy who stepped up two years ago and played huge for them on a lesser role.

    In terms of free agents this year, I'm looking at guys like Rose, Dragic, Payne and Patty Mills. You're not getting those guys for $5M necessarily, but you can get them for a fraction of what Westy costs, they'll be better at playing in the flow of their offense and you'll have way more money and assets left over for other quality players.

  11. #173
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,473
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Cool. It won't. I have 13 years to support my justification. You have a two-month sample size you didn't even know about until I mentioned it.

    Melo shoots a higher percentage on significantly lower volume. Nobody on the planet acutally thinks Melo is a better 3-point shooter than Hield.

    Also, I wouldn't want to get a poor man's Westbrook. I would want to get a point guard who does all the things the Lakers need their point guards to do. Rondo's a great example of a guy who stepped up two years ago and played huge for them on a lesser role.

    In terms of free agents this year, I'm looking at guys like Rose, Dragic, Payne and Patty Mills. You're not getting those guys for $5M necessarily, but you can get them for a fraction of what Westy costs, they'll be better at playing in the flow of their offense and you'll have way more money and assets left over for other quality players.
    I respect your opinion, but I disagree, time will tell

    And all things considered no matter how you look at it, Carmelo was the better player last year between he and Hield. You wonít find anyone that was better than Westy with that kind of price gap.

    And I did know about Westyís 2 month run. I actually posted something early to you telling you that I know you watch way more Houston b-ball than me but I remembered Russ and Harden figuring it out and balling super hard together and weíre IMO the 2nd best team in the west. Iíll find the post. Russ has had great years, this 2 month stretch wasnít the best b ball heís ever played.
    Last edited by IKnowHoops; 08-01-2021 at 03:08 PM.

  12. #174
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    9,556

  13. #175
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,473
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I hate this move for LA. Like ultimately they're not giving up a ton in the way of assets to get Westy, but his contract is horrid and he's a horrible fit next to Lebron.

    I watched him attempt to play off ball next to Harden two seasons ago, and it was a miserable failure. He completely killed their spacing to the point where Houston had to trade Capela and go ultimate small ball with Tucker at the 5. It should work better with AD at center, but they'll need excellent shooter at the other two spots. And even then, Westbrook is just a bad off-ball offensive player.

    The Lakers would have been better off making smaller deals and trying to add smaller pieces and role players that actually fit, similar to the team two years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    I know you watch a heck of a lot more Houston than me, but it seemed like by the middle of the season they figured it out and both Harden and Westy were straight balling hard next to each other...the Westy got hurt, and when he came back he was out for to long and was just rusty as hell. I really feel like they were the second best team in the west last year when both were healthy and in there groove.
    This was me responding to your post from way earlier in the thread that you either missed or chose not to respond to but itís me telling you about the 2 months you alluded to so you werenít telling me anything I wasnít aware of.

  14. #176
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Nice
    Posts
    35,005
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    #mediasystem

  15. 08-01-2021, 04:32 PM
    Reason
    Not needed

  16. 08-01-2021, 08:38 PM
    Reason
    Not needed

  17. 08-01-2021, 08:53 PM
    Reason
    Not needed

  18. 08-01-2021, 09:10 PM
    Reason
    Not needed

  19. 08-01-2021, 09:45 PM
    Reason
    Not needed

  20. 08-01-2021, 10:00 PM
    Reason
    Not needed

  21. 08-01-2021, 10:06 PM
    Reason
    Not needed

  22. 08-01-2021, 10:14 PM
    Reason
    Not needed

  23. #177
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    39,024
    What the hell happened here?

  24. #178
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    9,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Yes, and right now there isn't much of a roster and Westbrook hasn't played with LeBron and AD.
    1: Westbrook/Nunn/Monk/Ayayi
    2: Ellington/THT/Bazemore/Reaves
    3: LBJ/Ariza/McKinnie
    4: Brow/Melo
    5: Gasol/Dwight

  25. 08-03-2021, 06:08 PM
    Reason
    Not needed

  26. #179
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    30,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    What the hell happened here?
    Lmao

  27. #180
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    32,565
    Back on topic, taking a full look at what the Lakers have done this offseason, I actually think they're in pretty good shape, but the Westbrook trade is easily my least favorite part of it. I do think they added some quality role players, but I think they could have found a better No. 3 that better fit what they're going to want to do offensively.

    I was glancing through ESPN's trade grades a couple of days ago, and they gave the Lakers a D and the Wizards an A. I read through it, and I couldn't agree more with the very first paragraph breaking down the Lakers reasoning for the trade:

    This trade reminds me of a classic scene from the sitcom "Arrested Development" that has since become a meme: Psychiatrist Tobias Funke notes to his wife, Lindsay, that an open marriage has never worked for anyone he has counseled ... "but it might work for us."
    It didn't work for the Thunder, the Rockets or the Wizards, but for some reason LA and IKnowHoops thinks it's going to work for the Lakers. It won't. But maybe the rest of the Lakers offseason and the sheer talent of Lebron and Davis together can make up for that.


Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •