Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Let's not get carried away with expectations, this isn't a team sport.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    This bill being passed is a good thing for incumbents. That's true. It doesn't mean they will all get re-elected but it will help them. And not just those that voted for it. Those who voted against it will benefit too. Both because their districts/states will get money but their bases for those who voted no are likely not ones that like bipartisan compromise and want a more "burn it down" type of governing, which their no votes symbolize.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

I think it actually has become more of a team sport (perhaps it always was, though I do not think so — at least not to the extent we experience it these days).

We root for our team as they play the game; we cheer when they score a run or two; whine and make excuses when they yield a touchdown; accuse the other team of cheating (or of lavishly buying three-pointers); high-fives all around when we score a goal. And so it goes.

Meanwhile, the owners (and now as often as not the players) make bank.

This deal advances the process in the Senate — I would not said that it “passes” — is like a good inning by a middle reliever, which could lead to a “hold” if the closer is able in next inning to shut down the opposition (a win, at least until the next game, but as we all know, it’s a long season).

And the more you win, the more others — fans and players — want to jump on the wagon.

Just can't break that attitude after decades of polarization, demonizing, what these two parties have done. From Newt's saying that blacks don't have American values to Hillary's deplorable people rant, they did their jobs well with the help of spin expert think tanks to the media, people are supporting these parties more out of hatred for the other, than any policy. These parties have abandoned their core beliefs decades ago, but yet people still support them.

You can see the effects this demonizing has caused, with people abandoning common sense for rhetoric. Expert advice for sound bites. Instead of facing reality, we deal in illusions and culture, that expensive political spinmasters provide.

I just can't see how this will end well if we can't get these bums out of offices.
    Last edited by WES445; 07-29-2021 at 12:20 PM.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    This bill being passed is a good thing for incumbents. That's true. It doesn't mean they will all get re-elected but it will help them. And not just those that voted for it. Those who voted against it will benefit too. Both because their districts/states will get money but their bases for those who voted no are likely not ones that like bipartisan compromise and want a more "burn it down" type of governing, which their no votes symbolize.
    You are thinking in terms of how this is good for the team. I am not a team player, there is still some major industrial size lifting to be done. Let's focus on that and how that plays out. The democrat, like the republicans, most energize part of their base are the ones most pissed off with the establishment politicians.

Will Rogers

Hillary's deplorable people rant,
    I get the point you're making, but also holy **** was she right.

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    I get the point you're making, but also holy **** was she right.
    and do you think those on the right didn't say That is what they think of us? and we watched their talking heads pick up that ball and beat the "Us vs Them" drums. Just like Newt saying that blacks didn't have american value kept blacks within the democrat party, I am sure the same reactions to deploarble kept some republicans ffrom voting for Hillary and might have driven them to Trump.

It's all theater to keep us divided along party lines then class.
    Last edited by WES445; 07-29-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Will Rogers

and do you think those on the right didn't say That is what they think of us? and we watched their talking heads pick up that ball and beat the "Us vs Them" drums.

It's all theater to keep us divided along party lines then class.
    I think we didn't storm the Capitol when we lost an election.

But I also think there's no right answer here. She says they're deplorable and it's political theater, someone else says they want to work with the other side and it's "how can you work with those people?"

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    I think we didn't storm the Capitol when we lost an election.

But I also think there's no right answer here. She says they're deplorable and it's political theater, someone else says they want to work with the other side and it's "how can you work with those people?"
    That isn't to say we didn't have craziness on the left. Statue tipping, as in tearing down civil war statutes, and what happened in Portland when leftists took over a block. All are civil disturbances. That the left hasn't reached the level of extreme as the right doesn't mean they won't in the future. We aren't there yet, but we got more radicalize. That massive woman marches the weekend after Trump won, energize AOC, Katie Holder, Deb Haaland, and few others to run and win political positions. You can mark the raise of progressive more to that than Bernie running in 2016. They got more radical than Bernie by 2020 to the point of some booing him for working with Biden. He and now AOC and the squad are getting pushback from their own base.

Well, of course, these two political sides can't work together, it isn't in their gamebook, that is our problem. They only come together for wars and ensuring the government works for the donor class at our expense. People keep and will always keep putting the same clowns, who are brought and paid, back in the office.

I won't shift the blame on the "deplorable" for our gridlock, I blame the real deplorables sitting in congress passing laws.
    Last edited by WES445; 07-29-2021 at 02:55 PM.

Will Rogers

You are thinking in terms of how this is good for the team. I am not a team player, there is still some major industrial size lifting to be done. Let's focus on that and how that plays out. The democrat, like the republicans, most energize part of their base are the ones most pissed off with the establishment politicians.
    I'm not saying that I think that's a good or bad thing. I'm just pointing out that it is beneficial to incumbents.

Yes, we must consider what benefit the incumbents.
    Last edited by WES445; 07-29-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Will Rogers

Yes, we must consider what benefit the incumbents.
    I can’t ascertain why dbroncslefty said it, but the PR benefit is surely on the minds of those incumbents themselves. They get the all-too-rare-these-days bipartisan bump (the cynic in me says “well orchestrated”).

But, have no fear; the whole thing could blow up in their faces soon enough (do we cut the red wire? or the blue? maybe the green?).

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I can’t ascertain why dbroncslefty said it, but the PR benefit is surely on the minds of those incumbents themselves. They get the all-too-rare-these-days bipartisan bump (the cynic in me says “well orchestrated”).

But, have no fear; the whole thing could blow up in their faces soon enough (do we cut the red wire? or the blue? maybe the green?).
    I said it because it's true. Again I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, just that it's a fact. I'm sort of confused where it is being said that I'm assigning a good or bad to the passage's impact on incumbents.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post

Oh, I am sure Pelosi will play this up as a great win, MSNBC and CNN will have her on after the bill is pass. But one can't think that this is going to move the needle until more things are done. I hope the DNC doesn't think this is a "Mission Accomplish" moment. This good cheer can easily evaporate fast with the next crisis, the results of lifting the eviction moratorium, how bad the water storage gets out west, or politics with not getting the "human" infrastructure bill pass.

That eviction thing got me twisted, many of these people lost jobs during the first wave of this pandemic. Their problem was kicked down the road by freezing evictions instead of covering the cost. Getting evicted during the fourth wave of outbreak cases doesn't sound like a good situation.
    Last edited by WES445; 07-29-2021 at 05:10 PM.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I said it because it's true. Again I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing, just that it's a fact. I'm sort of confused where it is being said that I'm assigning a good or bad to the passage's impact on incumbents.
    No need for you to be confused; I said absolutely nothing about your assigning good/bad to your statement (that’s on Wes). I said I don’t know your intent (for that matter, I can never really know it regardless of what you — or anyone — post).

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast