Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2021 Training Camp/Preseason Games thread

This thread can be used for any news/rumors/camp battles for this years Training camp

T/G Simon Stepaniak has decided to retire and was placed on the Reserve/Retired list.

New pick Myers is crushing it thus far at C. Thatís awesome.

we can also use this thread for the Preseason games. first one is this Saturday. Jordan Love is gonna have a huge spot light on him but, what other things are you guys looking forward to?

Was excited to see Love tonight but it looks like we have almost no other starters going tonight. So it might be a tough eval if Houston brings some starters.

looks like Love is starting to get comfortable.

run game isn't looking very good but, Love has settled in a bit, still rough but doing alright

Yea, line has been up and down. But love looks alright. Definitely looks better and like he has more upside than what we've previously had as backup qbs. I dont think we'd win a ton of games if Love would have had to start this year, but I'm encouraged so far.

Specials look as bad as ever.

Gimme Vernon Scott and Henry Black over Redmon allll day.

Also, josh Jackson looks like heís getting cut, however, Burks looked solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's my quick recap.

Good: I think Love actually looked pretty decent. Wasn't phenomanal, but he looks like he could be at least a serviceable NFL qb. Still has stuff to work on, but getting a few game sunder his belt could be great. Funchess and Taylor both looked pretty good in the WR6 battle. Kylin Hill showed some burst. Myers looked like he belongs. Ento made a nice play or two. Burks was solid, although most of his splash plays were designed plays. The backup safeties weren't bad and made some plays.

Bad: the OL was awful and if they keep playing that poorly, especially at OT, it's going to be hard to evaluate Love and the RBs in particular. The defense had very few guys who theoretically will play much, but that 4th edge rusher battle looks like a nothing burger. Those guys provided zero pass rush all night. Josh jackson punched his ticket out of town and I doubt anyone will even be interested in an underperforming player type swap for him at this point. Special teams are still awful.

If you were watching the GB local telecast of the game, I do think the announcers brought up a good point though. Houston and GB are in very different developmental points. Houston played some vets last night and are trying to change the culture. So winning and competing matter more to them than us. We definitely took it as a development opportunity for young guys. They played it more like a game with some coverage disguises, blitzes and playing more vets.

Wasnít able to watch last night, only able to listen, but I remember them talking about the Jordan Love fumble/strip sack and said itís been an issue all summer, anyone have any insight to that? Like is it something they should be able to fix with his mechanics? I know bad comparison (im sorry In advance) but I remember watching Tebow and his long wind up to throw and you kinda knew that would be an issue at the next level and was never fixed.

Also I seem to remember the announcers praising Josh Jackson at one point, talking about his college career and ability to break on the ball, was he r a really that bad last night? Prob just because they were both from Iowa but I thought I remember them comparing Jackson to Micah Hyde when drafted, Iíd hate to see that mistake being made again playing a guy at CB that skill set seemed to scream safety.

Micah Hyde was a willing and good tackler. That has not been the case with Jackson. Jackson has also never shown any flashes of really being good. Hyde was a pretty good nickel corner for us. He played the ball super well, but his only limit was his lack of athelticism. He had good instincts and you could see he's was a football player. Jackson has never shown any of that in the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by MFNkingAC View Post
    Wasnít able to watch last night, only able to listen, but I remember them talking about the Jordan Love fumble/strip sack and said itís been an issue all summer, anyone have any insight to that? Like is it something they should be able to fix with his mechanics? I know bad comparison (im sorry In advance) but I remember watching Tebow and his long wind up to throw and you kinda knew that would be an issue at the next level and was never fixed.

Also I seem to remember the announcers praising Josh Jackson at one point, talking about his college career and ability to break on the ball, was he r a really that bad last night? Prob just because they were both from Iowa but I thought I remember them comparing Jackson to Micah Hyde when drafted, Iíd hate to see that mistake being made again playing a guy at CB that skill set seemed to scream safety.
    Iím not sure what the actual numbers were, but it seemed there were about 7 balls caught with him in coverage for about a 100 yards.

It was brutal, and mostly all in the first half.

Quote Originally Posted by n8ghee View Post
    Iím not sure what the actual numbers were, but it seemed there were about 7 balls caught with him in coverage for about a 100 yards.

It was brutal, and mostly all in the first half.

I was doing a fantasy draft and listening, I just remember hearing them talk about one play in particular he must have jumped on a route and was either able to knock it away or force an incompletion by making the receiver drop the pass with contact. It was only one play, just talking about upside and showing flashes, but I do remember them mentioning the pass rush forcing the early pass. Iím not a fan of his, just curious, I think we kinda knew this is his last shot to show something, but I thought remember him being compared to Hyde coming out, again prob bc of being from Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by MFNkingAC View Post

The strip sack wasn't really on Love. The tackle got blown up and the defender got his hand on the ball while Love was starting his throwing motion.

Jackson was terrible. Saw a tweet that 60% of Tyrod Taylor's and Davis Mills' yardage came on throws thrown against Josh Jackson. He was giving up large chunks the entire night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast