Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 99 1231151 ... LastLast

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread

Ok Knicks fans it's that time of the summer where Knicks fans are usually praying for the lottery player who is supposed to be the next big thing but this year after a very good season we are in position to draft either multiple role players are trade up in a deep draft and get that jewel of the draft in the late lottery.

Knicks currently have picks #19, #21, #32 and #58

Rumors have been confirmed through Shams that the Knicks are trying to trade up and get a late lottery player.

My favorites to move up for are players like Mitchell, Giddey or Barnes. They all fill positions of need.

If the Knicks decide not to move up and keep all 4 of their draft picks I think that ...

#19 Murphy III
    #21 Butler or Cooper
    #32 Tre Mann
    #58 Garza

Those are all good draft picks but no way Thibs plays half of those players so why not trade up for maybe the closet thing to Luka Doncic in Josh Giddey or a furious defender at point guard who also shoots the lights out from 3 in D. Mitchell.

Draft is this Thursday so let's talk about...

I say at #19 the Knicks take Cooper 19th overall and with the 21st pick y'all take Cam Thomas 21st overall

People want to trade up for Giddey?
    Why?
    The only guys outside of the top 6 worth trading up for is Bouknight and maybe Mitchell though that's a questionable decision as well.
    Giddey's high upside is Simmons not Luka. Giddey doesn't have that shooting prowess like Luka does and also lacks Simmons' athleticism.
    Everyone else including Giddey have too many question marks to sacrifice a chance at another player possibly working out.
    Last edited by SK6; 07-26-2021 at 03:40 PM.

19 Murphy, Duarte or Kispert if they fall. Likely Kai Jones if the others are drafted before, Kai Jones 21 Tre Mann Hyland or Butler 32 Wieskamp or Grimes.
    Last edited by flimflamman; 07-26-2021 at 06:05 PM.

Fascinated with who Memphis will pick at #10. Since JaMorant the Grizz have drafted well.

I wonder if the Knicks plan on trading up

19 Butler
    21 Jackson
    32 Cooper
    58 Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    I wonder if the Knicks plan on trading up
    Anything is on the table tbh...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    Fascinated with who Memphis will pick at #10. Since JaMorant the Grizz have drafted well.
    you have now said this twice and i've scratched my head both times lol

Ja Morant at number 2 hard to get that wrong, no? It was a three player draft so to speak, and if they picked RJ they still get it right.

After Morant? You do know they had the 40th pick and chose Robert Woodard who played in all of 13 games for a total of 45 min all garbage time?

Since Morant they drafted well?

Official 2021 NBA draft thread...

Time to go on record. I’m going to with 3 categories: my safe picks, my swing high upside picks, projects

Safe picks: McBride: intense defense. The one guy you can give a Marcus Smart comparison too. Also a good shooter and excellent mid range scorer. Not great finisher, a little short, and might not be a lead ball handler. I think the biggest criticism is that he isn’t a good enough play maker. I think we should be building a play maker by committee team anyway. He fits, high characterIQ, and some game

Duerte: he 6’6 and really shoots it. CnS, off movement, some pull up and mid range. He’s older and knows who he is as a player. I think he can step in and give some free agent type value on his rookie deal. Not a top level athlete and isn’t going to get to the hoop a lot but seems very safe.

Kia Jones: explosive, super active big that and defend on perimeter some, defends the rim, and has some ball skills. If you want to replace Noel and maintain last year’s identity while adding a little bit of offense at the 5 I think this is the guy. Like Noel he doesn’t have great hands but I can’t see him not being a good back up 5. He also definitely big and strong enough to be a 5

I’m on record. Those are my safe picks I’d be happy with. Will go on record with my other picks later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ewing; 07-27-2021 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

My Big Swing high upside players:

Cooper: A short thin PG whose jump shooting numbers were really bad in college. The Knicks have had a lot of players that were missing a jump shot. I think this one is a little different. Cooper is the best passer in the draft. I like guys like McBride. I think he is high IQ and a good player. Cooper see and makes plays he never will. I think that elite skill can take him far if he can shoot a little. He did shoot well from the line and despite being rail thin and not a great leaper he is very good finisher b/c of his touch. He makes all kinds of flip shots, wrong footed hooks, etc. I think that means he has a soft touch and I think guys with a soft touch that can make free throws can become OK shooters with out great mechanics. As much as people talk about "true PGs" most teams don't have one. Cooper is one. I think it worth taking a swing and hoping he can shoot.

Cam Thomas: He makes shots no one else in our range can make. He is a flat scorer. His shot selection, defense, and decision making have been widely criticized. Talent and potential are clear. If Thibs and Randle's professionalism can rub off on him he could be a steal.

Projects:

I don't like projects.

Usman: 6'8 center who is the "best defensive prospect in the draft". I got a bad feeling just writing that

Trey Murphy: We've been linked to Murphy a lot and he is well liked. With his size, athletic ability, and shot it seems like he should have been able to make a bigger impact at the college. If he isn't utilizing his tools now I don't have confidence he will use them later. I copied his strengths/section NBAdraft.net He can shoot and that is the most translatable skill and he has good NBA measurements so I won't be upset with the pick but he is one of two guys that I can say I would prefer we pass on.

NBA Comparison: Robert Covington/James Jones
    Strengths: Bigtime shooter with prototypical size and athleticism for an NBA combo forward at 6’9 and with a 7′ foot wingspan … Excellent size, and has added intrigue in today’s NBA with the versatility to play as a small ball four … Shooting is his most intriguing asset … Showed a lot of improvement at the free throw line during his three years in college (72.5% as a freshman, 82.4% as a sophomore, 92.7% as a junior) …. While he isn’t a volume scorer at this point, he is very efficient at knocking down the shots he does take … Career 40% 3 point shooter, including two years over 42% from deep … Sets his feet well on catch and shoot opportunities, allowing him to get his shot off quickly and on balance … Doesn’t turn the ball over a lot (although this is partially because he doesn’t look to create a lot) … Is comfortable playing a role and creating space for those around him … Late bloomer … Seems to have untapped athleticism that he doesn’t utilize on a regular basis … Very smooth athlete with the ability to explode and make plays in the open floor … Despite being just 205 lbs, has an excellent frame with broad shoulders and should be able to add 15-20 lbs over time without losing any mobility …

Weaknesses: Needs to gain more confidence in his abilities and become a more aggressive athlete … Does not rebound the ball particularly well despite his size advantage … Could use more aggressiveness and assertiveness to become more effective … At times, doesn’t appear to understand what he’s capable of … Does not track the ball well off the rim, resulting in poor positioning for rebounds … Not a big assist guy, doesn’t create many looks for himself or his teammates … Many times doesn’t even look at the rim on the catch, missing opportunities to take an open shot … Often tries to drive laterally, but doesn’t have the handles or quickness for that to be effective for him … Drives looking primarily to pass, particularly to perimeter players spotting up … Should look to play with more energy at all times … Gets pushed around by smaller players on a regular basis … Doesn’t always cut with the urgency needed to get open … Tends to give too much room defensively on the perimeter … Despite giving space, is still prone to getting beat off the bounce by opposing wings because he gets too high of a center of gravity … May need to refine his mechanics to speed up his release on his jumpshot, as he sort of brings the ball down beside his head prior to shooting … Can work on becoming a more vocal leader … Perimeter skills are a work in progress. Can stand to improve as a ball handler and passer …

I appreciate your takes Mr. Ewing. I like the idea (if we stay at 19 and 21) of one "safe" pick and one "big swing." Say a Duarte or a Jones with a Cooper or Thomas. Honestly, I really don't know diddley -- picking outside the lottery for the first time in a while opens the field up quite a bit. But the one thing I really want for the Knicks is a "true' point guard. Last year I wanted Halliburton. Is it Cooper this year? Or do we get him elsewhere...or not at all...again....

Gonna trust the FO!

Quote Originally Posted by Knick Danger View Post
    I appreciate your takes Mr. Ewing. I like the idea (if we stay at 19 and 21) of one "safe" pick and one "big swing." Say a Duarte or a Jones with a Cooper or Thomas. Honestly, I really don't know diddley -- picking outside the lottery for the first time in a while opens the field up quite a bit. But the one thing I really want for the Knicks is a "true' point guard. Last year I wanted Halliburton. Is it Cooper this year? Or do we get him elsewhere...or not at all...again....

Gonna trust the FO!
    Certainly. I am no expert. I just think it’s fun to look the guys up before the draft and then “going on record”. Cooper is definitely a point guard. I actually don’t think he can play off ball like Hali. I think his biggest strength is distributing and running a show

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Certainly. I am no expert. I just think it’s fun to look the guys up before the draft and then “going on record”. Cooper is definitely a point guard. I actually don’t think he can play off ball like Hali. I think his biggest strength is distributing and running a show

How much better would we be if we had a guy who could do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Knick Danger View Post
    How much better would we be if we had a guy who could do that?
    Definitely. However, on the flip side, he’s a bad shooter. We have seen first hand how that goes. That’s a problem on the pro level. I guess it all depends how confident you are in the shot developing

Page 1 of 99 1231151 ... LastLast