Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Giants 2021 Trade Deadline Targets, Speculation, and Rumors

Figured we should fire up a thread to discuss potential moves the Giants may make leading in to this year's trade deadline. Post any rumors or personal ideas here.

Giants Interested In Starling Marte

The Giants are a ďkeyĒ team to watch as the Marlins market center fielder Starling Marte in the coming weeks, reports Craig Mish of the Miami Herald. Miami and Marte recently halted extension talks, and Mish now adds that the team balked at guaranteeing the 32-year-old Marte a fourth year on the contract.

Giants center fielders, buoyed by Steven Duggarís recent hot streak, are hitting .262/.337/.420 on the season, but Duggarís .398 average on balls in play and 31.8 percent strikeout rate point to some likely regression on the horizon. Left field has actually been a bigger issue, as the Giants have put together a collective .219/.295/.394 batting line from that position. Those struggles have come in large part due to Alex Dickerson, who could stand to lose some playing time in the event of an acquisition of Marte or another outfielder.

Marte, a free agent at seasonís end, is earning $12.5MM this season and is still owed about $5MM of that sum through seasonís end ($4.37MM from the point of the deadline). Heís hitting .288/.389/.447 with a career-best 11.8 percent walk rate, seven homers and 19 stolen bases through 245 plate appearances so far in 2021. He missed about five weeks with a fractured rib earlier in the season but has looked healthy and productive since returning at the end of May.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/...e-marlins.html

Kimbrel.

Susan Slusser reporting Giants interested in LH SP Danny Duffy (KC)

I know Giants offense is already good, but what are the chances they get another power hitter? I saw an article about how they could get Aaron Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Fantomex View Post
    I know Giants offense is already good, but what are the chances they get another power hitter? I saw an article about how they could get Aaron Judge
    That was all speculation if I know the article you're referencing. But Judge won't happen. The likelihood of them getting a power hitter is slim, I'd say. I'm expecting more of a complimentary/platoon piece in the outfield than an everyday player.

With players coming off the IL, it doesnít seem like much will happen but you never can tell. But no big changes.

I was also just thinking, with everything they have possibly coming off the books, why not go big here?

Quote Originally Posted by WiGi1 View Post
    I was also just thinking, with everything they have possibly coming off the books, why not go big here?
    I think they wanted to keep assets and rebuild the farm system so going big would be limited to free agents to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think they wanted to keep assets and rebuild the farm system so going big would be limited to free agents to some extent.
    Considering how the team has performed and the age of the club, it may very well be worth taking a risk or two. I also agree as Iíve always felt that our prospects and farm are most important. But still, letís see what we can manage. The Pads and Frazier was interesting. He, Monte and Yaz in the outfield would have been good. They did give up a top prospect though.
    Last edited by WiGi1; 07-26-2021 at 11:39 PM.

With players coming off the IL, it doesnít seem like much will happen but you never can tell. But no big changes.
    Offensively you're right. But we're not getting much reinforcements pitching wise. Sanchez is back but he wasn't impressive. Moronta might be back soon, but he can't be relied on. I do think Giants can get by with their offense.

Ruf/Wade platoon in left, Duggar/Slater platoon in center, Yaz in right.
    Longoria, Crawford, La Stella/Solano platoon at 2b, Belt/Flores platoon at 1b.
    Posey/Casali.

This offense is good enough.

I think a SP and CL should be the priority. Again the Giants need to have a contigencny plan for finishing in 2nd/3rd. Okay we'll have Gausman in the WC game, but ideally we'd have a Co-ace to start game 1 of the DS.

Closer just makes so much sense cause it keeps McGee/Rogers in 7th/8th inning setup roles.

GDT for the Dodgers isnít up yet, wondering why Monte isnít higher in the batting order?

GDT for the Dodgers isnít up yet, wondering why Monte isnít higher in the batting order?
    You seen his numbers vs LHP?

Quote Originally Posted by sacgiants1213 View Post
    You seen his numbers vs LHP?
    Yes and your on point but the guy has been hot lately.

Yes and your on point but the guy has been hot lately.
    Hot vs RHP, so he deserves to be hit high vs RHP. But when you don't even have a hit vs LHP it's deserving to hit low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast