Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pelicans to pursue Lowry, other salary moves planned

https://hoopswire.com/pelicans-linke...nt-kyle-lowry/

The Pelicans are expected to be among the teams that pursue veteran point guard and free-agent-to-be Kyle Lowry, according to Marc Stein of the New York Times.<a rel=

New Orleans is in the market for a point guard, Stein wrote, especially given the uncertain future of Lonzo Ball, a restricted free agent. Lowry is an unrestricted free agent.
    At the moment, the Pelicans don’t have the salary cap flexibility to land Lowry, but that could change. Per Shams Charania of The Athletic, they aren’t expected to match “a significant offer” for Ball. That obviously would open up space.

Or as Luke Adams of Hoops Rumors wrote, “New Orleans also could create some flexibility by letting one or both of their restricted free agents — Lonzo Ball and Josh Hart — walk, or by trading Eric Bledsoe and/or Steven Adams to reduce team salary.”

You beat me to it. I'll be interested to see what they do. I assume Lowry + another vet are their targets. If not they can try Conley or CP3 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    You beat me to it. I'll be interested to see what they do. I assume Lowry + another vet are their targets. If not they can try Conley or CP3 as well.
    Yea, I'm a bit curious of their plans. I think it's going to take a pick to move Bledsoe, and a pick to move Adams. I'm guessing trying for THJ, Danny Green and/or Fournier is their target.

Not that I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Yea, I'm a bit curious of their plans. I think it's going to take a pick to move Bledsoe, and a pick to move Adams. I'm guessing trying for THJ, Danny Green and/or Fournier is their target.

Not that I love it.
    They shouldn't have to attach picks to either guy, imo. $18M is pennies in today's NBA, especially with Bledsoe being an expiring (only $3.9M is guaranteed for the final season of his deal).

They shouldn't have to attach picks to either guy, imo. $18M is pennies in today's NBA, especially with Bledsoe being an expiring (only $3.9M is guaranteed for the final season of his deal).
    I don't think it's the money. It's that the teams with cap space this summer should have no interest in taking on either of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    I don't think it's the money. It's that the teams with cap space this summer should have no interest in taking on either of those guys.
    I don't think they should even be trying to move them into cap space. Adams is a good center in this league, at $17 million this season and $17 million next season, he can help a team. Just next to Zion is a wonky fit and staying on the Thunder who were trying to tank wasn't going to work either.

A team like the Hornets for example could probably take a look at Adams. Heck even the Raptors in the sign and trade for Lowry since they're desperate for help inside.

Bledsoe is a little bit harder to look at as a positive asset, since his play has fallen off a bit but he could fit on a team like the Cavs as a back-up PG if they are able to offload Sexton. Pels could take back the expiring of Prince and the non-guaranteed Dotson contract, then try to flip the true expiring of Prince for a productive piece. In the mean time they could let him play behind Ingram. Then just waive Dotson.

Adams makes like $25M+ last I checked.

Adams makes like $25M+ last I checked.
    He makes $17M next season and $17.92M the following. Very reasonable contract.

I think $25Mish was his OKC salary.

If Lowry goes to New Orleans and becomes a Pelican in a sign and trade, who do the Raptors get back in return? If I'm the Raptors, I ask for Lonzo Ball straight up

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    If Lowry goes to New Orleans and becomes a Pelican in a sign and trade, who do the Raptors get back in return? If I'm the Raptors, I ask for Lonzo Ball straight up
    We would much rather have Alexander-Walker

He makes $17M next season and $17.92M the following. Very reasonable contract.
    Weird back loaded contract.

Still not sure many teams with cap space want to do a trade into their space or a lopsided salary traded that's needed here to make the Lowry acquisition work.

Still not sure many teams with cap space want to do a trade into their space or a lopsided salary traded that's needed here to make the Lowry acquisition work.
    **Front loaded.

And they don't need to dump all $17mil. Their goal is to get under the cap enough to sign vet players.

If they let Ball, Hart walk; renounce James Johnson, Hernangomez, Nunnally. They can do a non-lopsided trade and gain cap space:
    1st and Adams to Detroit for Cory Joseph (non-guaranteed)
    2nd and Adams to Miami for Iggy (team option they can decline)
    1st and Adams to Portland for Nurkic (non guaranteed)
    2nd and Adams to Toronto for Hood and Baynes (both non guaranteed)

Those are some small other options of teams who's cap change wouldn't be much who either are over, can operate as over, or unlikely to add big salary players. Let's say they take the Toronto deal, Toronto gets a good defensive center, continues to operate a touch over the cap, and they clear $17mil in cap space. Do a similar trick with Bledsoe and they can clear up to $40mil in cap, which would give them space to sign Lowry and others without a S&T.

It's not back loaded, he signed a 2 year $35 million extension with the Pelicans.

But anyway, my point was Adams can still start in the NBA and is on a decent deal. He's not an albatross like Love, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    **Front loaded.

And they don't need to dump all $17mil. Their goal is to get under the cap enough to sign vet players.

If they let Ball, Hart walk; renounce James Johnson, Hernangomez, Nunnally. They can do a non-lopsided trade and gain cap space:
    1st and Adams to Detroit for Cory Joseph (non-guaranteed)
    2nd and Adams to Miami for Iggy (team option they can decline)
    1st and Adams to Portland for Nurkic (non guaranteed)
    2nd and Adams to Toronto for Hood and Baynes (both non guaranteed)

Those are some small other options of teams who's cap change wouldn't be much who either are over, can operate as over, or unlikely to add big salary players. Let's say they take the Toronto deal, Toronto gets a good defensive center, continues to operate a touch over the cap, and they clear $17mil in cap space. Do a similar trick with Bledsoe and they can clear up to $40mil in cap, which would give them space to sign Lowry and others without a S&T.
    Those other deals work but only way Iggy (and Dragic similarly) can be traded is if their options are picked up. Can't trade em then decline the option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast