Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    OK, question for anyone: defend our military budget. Why does the DOD need to be the largest employer in the world? Who is going to invade us? When's the last time a country attacked us on our soil? Just take a stab at justifying it.

OK. Thank you for your submission!

Now, assuming you've gotten through that without face-planting, tell me why you wouldn't be OK with taking say...33% of our defense budget and making a spending that money and taking those jobs and putting it to work somewhere else. A worthwhile jobs program. No new money is spent. No jobs are lost. Just an equal transfer of funding and jobs from the military to something like...the Green New Deal. Something that demands a lot of jobs, costs a lot of money, but would actually help out the average American.

Walk me through why the status quo now, and all the money we pour into the military to lose forever wars and kill hundreds of thousands of civilians is better than literally doing anything else with that tremendous amount of financial power.

And ask yourself why Biden and Co. just keep adding more and more to our defense budget, and why you continue to support a Democratic party that has shown no true aversion to American imperialism nor a willingness to be serious about combatting climate change.
    I appreciate your trying to cover substantive things, but I have given all that up a long time ago. Sorry for such a crap response.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    I think the increasing monopolization of industry is a huge problem, the lack of our ability of this country to manufacture things (as we saw during the pandemic) forever wars, the biggest thing to ME personally and something in which I recently went before the city of Boise to argue (unsuccessfully) is affordable housing. I think the opioid crisis is one of the biggest problems. The number of Opioid deaths during the pandemic skyrocketed, and erased all the positive gains we had see the previous years.

I think ahead of any other problem the lack of housing and homelessness it causes are the single biggest issues facing the country. But unfortunately I don't think it's something the federal govt can solve.
    What sorts of policies do you support to help curb the issues of homeless/affordable housing and opioid addiction?

Because I definitely agree with you on these two things.
    HELLO

Quote Originally Posted by brett05 View Post
    We've been needing viable third parties for decades now. The problem is almost all of them think it starts with the Presidency. It has to start with local governments and work it's way up to the top. I really believe it's the only way to break the two party system we have now.
    Are there reforms you'd like to see to help with this problem? Or how do we get there?

Because I agree. I don't think the reason that we have problems is because we only have two parties, but by and large, I don't think either party is truly working for any of us.
    HELLO

Are there reforms you'd like to see to help with this problem? Or how do we get there?

Because I agree. I don't think the reason that we have problems is because we only have two parties, but by and large, I don't think either party is truly working for any of us.
    I think Sluggo1 has mentioned it before, money needs to get out of politics. I would say no outside money (meaning if you can't vote for the candidate you can't give money to the candidate. I would also place a very small and tight cap on donations on those that can vote. Say $100 a person to a candidate.
    My Ignore List: bklynny67, nastynice, OhSoSlick, spliff(TONE), zmaster52

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pandemic-...120032997.html

This is an interesting article. Apparently the share of Americans in poverty has dropped to it's lowest level ever due in large part to covid benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/pandemic-...120032997.html

This is an interesting article. Apparently the share of Americans in poverty has dropped to it's lowest level ever due in large part to covid benefits.
    Who would've thought that giving money directly to those who need it most would actually help people out?

Honestly, one of the best acts of legislation we've seen in some time. It didn't go nearly as far as it did. Both administrations did much less than they could. I was often critical of a lot of things...But a lot of people were lifted out of poverty and that's massive. Absolutely huge. Few things matter more politically than stuff like this.

I've been thinking about this a lot the past few days. I really wish more politicians were taking this and running with it. The payments were popular. The payments helped.

In a better world, more Democrats would be willing to give money directly to impoverished families rather than use their poverty as a cudgel to make them serve capitalists. We saw a rare instance where that happened, and it worked.

Actual policy! Thanks for sharing!
    HELLO

I think Sluggo1 has mentioned it before, money needs to get out of politics. I would say no outside money (meaning if you can't vote for the candidate you can't give money to the candidate. I would also place a very small and tight cap on donations on those that can vote. Say $100 a person to a candidate.
    I mean I know you guys think you're superior beings, but you should really look at Canada's political financing rules.

As of 2017, the maximum yearly contribution limit is $1550 to a given federal political party, $1550 to a given party's riding associations, $1550 to a given party's leadership candidates, and $1550 for each independent candidate. The total tax credit for all contributions is capped at $650, representing a subsidy of 42%.
    Election Expenses Act (1974)
    The Election Expenses Act of 1974 introduced limits on election expenses for candidates and political parties, along with public funding in the form of partial reimbursements of expenses and tax credits for contributions.

As of January 1, 2004, the scope of legislation was enlarged to include electoral district associations, nomination contestants, and leadership contestants, and stricter limits on contributions were introduced.[24]

At the same time, a new source of public funding was introduced in the form of the per-vote subsidy paid to registered parties. Until the ultimate discontinuation of the subsidy in 2015, every registered federal political party received an annual, inflation-indexed subsidy of $1.53-$2.04 per vote received in the preceding election.

In 2006, in an Ontario Court of Justice ruling, several small federal parties successfully challenged restrictions that limited expense reimbursements to parties receiving at least 2% of all valid votes cast in the preceding general election, or at least 5% of the valid votes cast in the electoral districts in which it had a candidate. Judge P. Theodore Matlow ruled that the law made it difficult for members of small parties to "play a meaningful role in the electoral process." The successful parties were reimbursed retroactively for the funds that had been withheld from them.

However, the removal of this restriction opened the government to criticism for its funding of controversial small parties including the Marijuana Party of Canada, Communist Party of Canada, and Christian Heritage Party of Canada, who had participated in the suit along with the less-controversial Green Party of Canada, Progressive Canadian Party of Canada and Canadian Action Party.

As of January 1, 2007, corporations and trade unions were barred from making political contributions.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...cing_in_Canada

It's not just politics though, you need to somehow get it out of the media. The media is just perpetuating this stuff. They're just pandering to their base by sticking them in these perpetual cycles of outrage that distorts reality so that their ratings stay high and they pull more money. I don't even know what you can compare it to because we've never seen anything like it before. And that's before even talking about the plague of social media.
    Last edited by statquo; 07-30-2021 at 04:44 PM.

The Lost Boys of PSD

What sorts of policies do you support to help curb the issues of homeless/affordable housing and opioid addiction?

Because I definitely agree with you on these two things.
    So there are two kinds of homelessness, there is long-term homelessness caused by disabilities and addiction, and there is more short-term homelessness that's caused by affordability.

The short-term one and the problem of Americans spending to much on housing is caused by a lack of supply. The solution is to ****ing build and builds high. I would change the laws to incentivize the construction of large high rise apt/condos.
    In the meantime, in coastal cities, I would buy and repurpose old cruise ships, for low-income housing, this isn't a long-term solution, and it's extremely radical, but we need to get people off the ****ing streets.

I would also put forward a LAT tax on total property worth more than say 10-15 million. Because we have a real problem with hedge funds buying up available housing stock for cash money and making it hard to buy if your a regular person. Though I would make apt/condo's not applicable for this tax, because you need large amounts of capital to build high rise apt.

I would also be open to the idea of govt subsidized building of condo's/apt for poorer Americans, and letting those American's buy equity and eventually own the apt if they stay and rent there long enough, kind of a lease to own, as a way to solve long term income disparities.

For the opioid epidemic, I would look at alternatives therapies like mushrooms and such to help people rewire their brains.

The high rise model was used in Chicago to it's detriment. They were the projects and was a festering place of crime. They have since been demolished. It was noble, but it failed.

Who would've thought that giving money directly to those who need it most would actually help people out?

Honestly, one of the best acts of legislation we've seen in some time. It didn't go nearly as far as it did. Both administrations did much less than they could. I was often critical of a lot of things...But a lot of people were lifted out of poverty and that's massive. Absolutely huge. Few things matter more politically than stuff like this.

I've been thinking about this a lot the past few days. I really wish more politicians were taking this and running with it. The payments were popular. The payments helped.

In a better world, more Democrats would be willing to give money directly to impoverished families rather than use their poverty as a cudgel to make them serve capitalists. We saw a rare instance where that happened, and it worked.

Actual policy! Thanks for sharing!
    I agree with this, both parties and Trump, followed later by Biden who basically just piggybacked off that program, did a good job cutting checks, I give them all credit for it. That said they could have gone farther.

So here in Idaho we're using a more Scandinavian model for prison release, I guess we've really expanded work release programs and help and **** that convicts get.

I guess it's like a ladder program where you first take some classes and if you do well you move up, then they help you get a job on the outside making outside wages, while you are still behind bars, then as your set for release they help you find a place etc etc.

The high rise model was used in Chicago to it's detriment. They were the projects and was a festering place of crime. They have since been demolished. It was noble, but it failed.
    Because it didn't solve the underlying problems that created that festering. They just knocked down some buildings and say "We did something". There is nothing noble about sweeping the dirt somewhere else.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    So here in Idaho we're using a more Scandinavian model for prison release, I guess we've really expanded work release programs and help and **** that convicts get.

I guess it's like a ladder program where you first take some classes and if you do well you move up, then they help you get a job on the outside making outside wages, while you are still behind bars, then as your set for release they help you find a place etc etc.
    That is a program that I can back. It is more about rehabilitation than letting them rot in a cell and come back out with a bad attitude and new criminal skills learn in prison.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    Because it didn't solve the underlying problems that created that festering. They just knocked down some buildings and say "We did something". There is nothing noble about sweeping the dirt somewhere else.
    The demolishing wasn't noble. The attempt at resolving the issue was. SMH

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    I mean I know you guys think you're superior beings, but you should really look at Canada's political financing rules.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federa...cing_in_Canada

It's not just politics though, you need to somehow get it out of the media. The media is just perpetuating this stuff. They're just pandering to their base by sticking them in these perpetual cycles of outrage that distorts reality so that their ratings stay high and they pull more money. I don't even know what you can compare it to because we've never seen anything like it before. And that's before even talking about the plague of social media.
    It's often called propaganda, but that's not quite right. Propaganda is usually done at the behest of the state i.e. CCTV but this is done willingly without force for political parties. And it's done for profit.
    The difference though is people in countries like Russia and China KNOW they're being lied to, there are millions of people that INSIST that their news source is based on reality and fact.
    Social Media takes this and cranks it up to 11 by letting people engage directly with it, and creating echo chambers.

IDK if your familiar with Matt Taibi, but he has a great book called Hate Inc. That explains how this all happened.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast