Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Where does that say he wants all Americans to be vaccinated irrespective of circumstance? I think he's well aware that some people can't be vaccinated due to being medically immunocompromised or the fact that the vaccine is still not approved for children.

The message has been anyone who is 12 and older and can get vaccinated should be.
    I agree, that's basically what he's been saying, since day 1. That he wants all Americans to get vaccinated. I don't think he's telling people who can't get the vax to do it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    This is what you have?
    His exact words...yeah. That's what I have.

Also, I can't find any information that shows the majority of those hospitalized are young. I was going through the CDC website, could you point me in the right direcection.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    His exact words...yeah. That's what I have.

Also, I can't find any information that shows the majority of those hospitalized are young. I was going through the CDC website, could you point me in the right direcection.
    Nationally, adults under 50 now account for the most hospitalized COVID-19 patients in the country — about 35% of all hospital admissions. Those age 50 to 64 account for the second-highest number of hospitalizations, or about 31%. Meanwhile, hospitalizations among adults over 65 have fallen significantly.
    Hospitals are seeing fewer Covid-19 patients but increasingly the ones who do land in the hospital are 50 or younger, according to national data.
    But unlike previous surges, it now is younger and middle-aged adults — not their parents and grandparents — who are taking up many of Michigan’s hospital beds. A 37-year-old woman on a ventilator after giving birth. A 41-year-old father. A 55-year-old autoworker who has been sick for weeks.
    Wednesday's numbers from the state database show 85 people were hospitalized due to the coronavirus. Of that total, a combined 58% percent make up people between the ages of 18 and 39.
    I know about this because we've been getting reports about it happening both here in St. Louis and in Springfield for weeks now:

The delta variant and the number of unvaccinated young people have also been concerns for health officials in St. Louis County, Missouri.

Two weeks ago, "there were 89 patients admitted to ICU beds for Covid-related conditions across the St. Louis metro area," Dr. Faisal Khan, director of the county's Public Health Department, said on MSNBC. "Each of those individuals was unvaccinated, and they were from the relatively younger age group between 18 to 50."
    There's a bunch of local reports like this, from Montana and Kansas and Iowa and Wisconsin and Colorado.

"The thing we may have to accept is that red states really like this pandemic and want to keep it.”" - @LOLGOP

I know about this because we've been getting reports about it happening both here in St. Louis and in Springfield for weeks now:

There's a bunch of local reports like this, from Montana and Kansas and Iowa and Wisconsin and Colorado.
    Thank you for the info on the hospitalizations my guess is the people being hospitalized are on the older side of that under 50 category, and this is in large part due to the fact that the oldest population is the most vax'd (which is good)

The vaccination policy has been to get the most vulnerable ones first. The oldsters fall in line first. I remember they caught some people dressing up as old people to get the vaccination ahead of their schelude group.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by WES445 View Post
    The vaccination policy has been to get the most vulnerable ones first. The oldsters fall in line first. I remember they caught some people dressing up as old people to get the vaccination ahead of their schelude group.
    Oh ****, I never heard about that. LoL. Some people are going to be sketchy no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    Oh ****, I never heard about that. LoL. Some people are going to be sketchy no matter what.
    It got crazy, people going to hard-hit Indian reservations for shots. Doctors going beyond the targeted vaccinations group and vaccinating family and friends.

Some good stuff happens to like giving out soon-to-be outdated vaccination to anybody walking into their clinic.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

This is the more dormant period of the virus as well. Wait till the fall when flu and cold season are back. You're going to see even more upticks in hospitalizations and deaths if we refuse to cross a certain threshold in terms of vaccinations. People don't seem to understand that some of these variants (like Delta) are more contagious and that only 1/8th or 1/9th of the American population has presumably had the coronavirus (assuming you take into account undocumented cases). There's a lot of room for this to spread which always made that ******** about herd immunity highly unlikely.

Same with the groups of people who said we shouldn't care about the virus now that the vaccine exists. Clearly this virus will continue to spread and do considerable damage (both from a human toll and economically) if people refuse to be vaccinated. Just to put it into perspective, on this same day a month ago, we had 15,000 reported cases. Today there was 62 thousand reported cases.
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-21-2021 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I think he has a point that there is too much misinformation being spread on social media and something should probably be done about it. Do you?
    Social media is not a place where "news" is spread. It is a place for rumors, conspiracy theories and inuendo. I use my social media accounts to keep up with family and friends, my hobbies, to find out what concerts and events are going to happen around my area and to post a daily blog. Occasionally, if I see a story that is interesting, I will try to find it through more traditional news sources (Mostly foreign sources like BBC).
    Personally, I think that more people should realize that social media is not the place to be their primary source of news.

And now the Lambda variant is here, too.

"The thing we may have to accept is that red states really like this pandemic and want to keep it.”" - @LOLGOP

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Social media is not a place where "news" is spread. It is a place for rumors, conspiracy theories and inuendo. I use my social media accounts to keep up with family and friends, my hobbies, to find out what concerts and events are going to happen around my area and to post a daily blog. Occasionally, if I see a story that is interesting, I will try to find it through more traditional news sources (Mostly foreign sources like BBC).
    Personally, I think that more people should realize that social media is not the place to be their primary source of news.
    Whether or not you use it that way, and whether or not you think people need to realize how it should be used, that's not the reality of the way people use it, which is the problem.

My daughter runs an ICU in a large hospital in Kansas City that is where the Covid patients usually ended up during the surge and those beds are currently empty. My county in Iowa has not had a positive test in over 2 weeks and the surrounding counties are also very low -- none out of the lowest category.

Whether or not you use it that way, and whether or not you think people need to realize how it should be used, that's not the reality of the way people use it, which is the problem.
    Time for a coherent message from the government, which we have not had since the pandemic started. Biden has not done any better than Trump in that way, and Trump was abysmal.

It shouldn't be but people do use Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, etc as places where they get their news. A lot of that comes from distrust of mainstream news media. That's just an unfortunate reality of people having access to information that may or may not be true. Political parties run with fearmongering all the time and a lot of those conspiracy theories related to that fearmongering come from social media. How many times have you heard that Democrats are coming door to door for your bibles and guns?

My daughter runs an ICU in a large hospital in Kansas City that is where the Covid patients usually ended up during the surge and those beds are currently empty. My county in Iowa has not had a positive test in over 2 weeks and the surrounding counties are also very low -- none out of the lowest category.
    Meanwhile in Springfield they're opening a third COVID ICU unit, and cases are up in Kansas City as well as here in STL.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast