Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2021 NBA Offseason Preview: New York Knicks

July 14th, 2021 at 11:50am CST by Luke Adams

No NBA team outperformed its preseason expectations more significantly in the 2020/21 season than the Knicks, who were projected by oddsmakers to be in the mix for the league’s worst record. Instead, New York, buoyed by a Julius Randle breakout year and the influence of new head coach Tom Thibodeau, claimed a top-four seed in the East by finishing with a 41-31 record.

The Knicks’ first-round series vs. Atlanta exposed some of the deficiencies that the team was able to mask during the regular season, and Thibodeau’s club made a quick postseason exit, losing to the Hawks in five games. But it was still a massively successful year for a franchise that hadn’t made the playoffs or even finished above .500 since 2013.

While some regression should perhaps be expected in 2021/22, the Knicks are well-positioned to avoid taking a step backward by adding reinforcements to their core group, which includes Randle and rising forward RJ Barrett. New York will have more cap space than any other NBA team and has extra first-round picks both this year and in the future, making the club a threat to be a player in free agency or on the trade market.

The Knicks are still a ways off from title contention, but for the first time in years, there are legitimate reasons to be optimistic about the team’s future.

The Knicks’ Offseason Plan:

Although the Knicks are in a good spot to add outside help to their roster, many of their most important decisions will be made on their own players.

Randle, for instance, was once considered a candidate to be waived before his full 2021/22 salary became guaranteed. That’s no longer a realistic outcome. Instead, the Knicks will have to decide whether to offer him an extension that could have a base value worth up to $106MM+ over four years (plus incentives) and Randle will have to decide whether to accept it.

If New York believes Randle’s improvements – particularly his three-point percentage – are sustainable, offering that extension certainly makes sense for the team. Of course, if Randle believes the same thing, he’d be justified in turning down such an offer in the hopes of securing a more lucrative contract as a free agent in 2022.

Randle’s future will in turn impact that of 2020 lottery pick Obi Toppin, who had an underwhelming rookie year, in large part because he wasn’t a great fit in lineups that featured Barrett and Randle. If the Knicks are committed to Randle long-term, Toppin could become a trade chip.

The Knicks also face an important decision on Mitchell Robinson, who has a non-guaranteed minimum salary for 2021/22. Typically, guaranteeing that salary and perhaps exploring a contract extension would be the obvious move for the club. But if Robinson reaches free agency in 2022, he’ll be an unrestricted free agent. If New York turns down his team option, he’d be a restricted free agent this summer, giving the team more control in locking him up going forward.

The Knicks will have to determine whether Robinson, who was limited to 31 games this season due to a right foot injury, is a crucial part of their future. If he is, they’ll have to figure out what the best approach is for making sure he’s around for the long haul.

Finally, the Knicks face decisions on several veteran free agents, including key role players like Derrick Rose, Alec Burks, Nerlens Noel, and Reggie Bullock. All of those vets could be in line for raises after strong seasons in New York, so the team will have to weigh which of its free agents are worth more substantial investments and which should be cut loose in search of a better bargain.

We haven’t even gotten yet to the upgrades the Knicks may pursue outside of the organization, but their options should be plentiful. In recent years, the organization has been unable to attract top free agents to New York due to the club’s poor play and questionable leadership. But the Knicks’ 2020/21 success and the stability that Thibodeau and president of basketball operations Leon Rose have brought to the franchise have helped boost the team’s appeal.

That doesn’t mean the Knicks will be able to go out and add Kawhi Leonard or Chris Paul, but it does mean that free agency could be a more viable path to adding an impact player than it has been in recent years. That’s especially true given New York’s financial flexibility — if the team wants to outbid rival suitors for a veteran free agent such as Kyle Lowry, Mike Conley, or Spencer Dinwiddie, it has the ability to do so.

That cap flexibility will also help grease the wheels for potential trades. For example, while I don’t view Collin Sexton as a perfect fit in New York, there are rumors that the team has been the most aggressive trade suitor for him so far. The Knicks’ financial flexibility could allow them to take on Kevin Love‘s oversized contract as part of a Sexton deal, or to comfortably negotiate a long-term extension for the high-scoring guard. Again, I’m not sure either of those moves is in New York’s best interest, but those are the kinds of possibilities that cap space helps create.

Of course, in their first year with substantial cap room available in 2020, Rose and the Knicks’ front office took a more conservative approach, prioritizing short-term, team-friendly deals for undervalued players like Burks and Noel.

It’s possible the team could go that route again if there are no favorable opportunities to take a bigger swing. But after the Knicks’ success in 2020/21, I imagine the front office will feel a little more pressure – including perhaps from Thibodeau – to add the types of players who can help the club take another step forward in ’21/22.

Salary Cap Situation
    Note: Our salary cap projections are based on a presumed 3% increase, which would result in a $112.4MM cap for 2021/22.

Guaranteed Salary

RJ Barrett ($8,623,920)
    Joakim Noah ($6,431,667) — Waived via stretch provision.
    Kevin Knox ($5,845,978)
    Obi Toppin ($5,105,160)
    Julius Randle ($4,000,000) — Partial guarantee. Non-guaranteed portion noted below. 1
    Immanuel Quickley ($2,210,640)
    Total: $32,217,365

Player Options

None
    Team Options

Mitchell Robinson ($1,802,057): Bird rights 2
    Total: $1,802,057

Non-Guaranteed Salary

Julius Randle ($17,780,000) 1
    Luca Vildoza ($3,325,000)
    Norvel Pelle ($1,701,593)
    Total: $22,806,593

Restricted Free Agents

Frank Ntilikina ($7,031,451 qualifying offer / $18,529,734 cap hold): Bird rights
    Total (cap holds): $18,529,734

Two-Way Free Agents

Jared Harper
    Theo Pinson
    Draft Picks

No. 19 overall pick ($2,770,560)
    No. 21 overall pick ($2,553,120)
    No. 32 overall pick (no cap hold)
    No. 58 overall pick (no cap hold)
    Total: $5,323,680

Extension-Eligible Players

Kevin Knox (rookie scale)
    Julius Randle (veteran)
    Mitchell Robinson (veteran)

Unrestricted Free Agents / Other Cap Holds

Derrick Rose ($9,987,804): Early Bird rights
    Alec Burks ($7,200,000): Non-Bird rights
    Elfrid Payton ($6,197,100): Early Bird rights
    Nerlens Noel ($6,000,000): Non-Bird rights
    Reggie Bullock ($5,460,000): Early Bird rights
    Taj Gibson ($1,669,178): Early Bird rights
    Total: $36,514,082

Offseason Cap Outlook

Locking in Randle’s salary would result in about $50MM in guaranteed salaries for five roster spots. From there, the Knicks could go a number of ways in filling out their roster.

If we assume the team picks up Robinson’s option and keeps its two first-round picks while waiving or renouncing everyone else, that’d result in nearly $52MM in cap space. Adding Rose’s cap hold would bring that cap room projection down to $42.5MM; adding Noel’s cap hold would reduce it to about $37.5MM, and so on. Trading one or both of their first-round picks could slightly increase the team’s space.

Essentially, even if the Knicks do want to try to bring back two or three of their free agents, they’ll be able to generate enough cap room for a maximum-salary contract or close to it. It’s a safe bet they’ll operate under the cap this offseason rather than over it.

Cap Exceptions Available

Room exception: $4,910,000 3

Footnotes

Randle’s salary becomes fully guaranteed after July 31.
    Robinson will be eligible for restricted free agency if his option is declined.
    This is a projected value.

Thanks Stilla. Can't wait to see our FO get started. This past season was one of the most fun seasons I've seen in a while. Now our off season has many roads that can be traveled down. Here's hoping that we take the correct road.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFanAlways View Post
    Thanks Stilla. Can't wait to see our FO get started. This past season was one of the most fun seasons I've seen in a while. Now our off season has many roads that can be traveled down. Here's hoping that we take the correct road.
    yes i don't think we've been set up like this in a long, long time, Knicks have so many options and if they come away doing nothing that will be a real set back imo.

Knicks need to get this kid, no doubt about it, if he is remotely available you go get him.

anyone remember that Net game, damn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InxjLPxUr6Y

Good read, Stilla…

I'm still on the fence with this pursuit of Collin Sexton. I think, the Knicks Front Office has not learned the lesson of the last 48 yrs in New York. What a player does with the basketball is not as important as what a player can do giving up the basketball. The team beats the individual.

The last time the Knicks won the Championship they had TWO elite playmaking guards in Clyde Frazier and Earl the Pearl Monroe. Clyde has said this repeatedly, "Earl sacrificed his personal numbers…" to win.

Now I don't expect that to happen in today's game. Everyone is here to eat. Having said that, the Knicks better prioritize a playmaking point guard over a scorer. Plenty of scorers who don't play defense.

Sure, Collin Sexton is a CAA client, so Leon Rose & World Wide Wes who have more connections to the stars than Dione Warwicke.

Link: https://kingjamesgospel.com/2021/05/...collin-sexton/

Opponents jeering the Cavs and telling them Sexton won't pass them the ball because he's a black hole. When the Cavs fell in a tailspin at some point last season that's when Kevin Love called a player's meeting about his tendency to jack up up shots.

The Cavs have the cap space to re-sign Sexton to a BIG contract if they want to. Question is, are they just teasing teams to see the offers or do they really want to get rid of him…much how Sacramento doesn't like Buddy Hield because he's a headcase?

We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    Knicks need to get this kid, no doubt about it, if he is remotely available you go get him.

anyone remember that Net game, damn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InxjLPxUr6Y
    IMHO He'd immediately become the most exciting player we've seen here in the Garden since Latrell. I hope this FO feels the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Detfink View Post
    Good read, Stilla…

I'm still on the fence with this pursuit of Collin Sexton. I think, the Knicks Front Office has not learned the lesson of the last 48 yrs in New York. What a player does with the basketball is not as important as what a player can do giving up the basketball. The team beats the individual.

The last time the Knicks won the Championship they had TWO elite playmaking guards in Clyde Frazier and Earl the Pearl Monroe. Clyde has said this repeatedly, "Earl sacrificed his personal numbers…" to win.

Now I don't expect that to happen in today's game. Everyone is here to eat. Having said that, the Knicks better prioritize a playmaking point guard over a scorer. Plenty of scorers who don't play defense.

Sure, Collin Sexton is a CAA client, so Leon Rose & World Wide Wes who have more connections to the stars than Dione Warwicke.

Link: https://kingjamesgospel.com/2021/05/...collin-sexton/

Opponents jeering the Cavs and telling them Sexton won't pass them the ball because he's a black hole. When the Cavs fell in a tailspin at some point last season that's when Kevin Love called a player's meeting about his tendency to jack up up shots.

The Cavs have the cap space to re-sign Sexton to a BIG contract if they want to. Question is, are they just teasing teams to see the offers or do they really want to get rid of him…much how Sacramento doesn't like Buddy Hield because he's a headcase?

We'll see.
    You’re talking about the supposed bad things about Sexton, and you then linked to an article that is pretty positive about him.

More I read, more I’m on board. Seems like a tough kid, a hard worker, focused on his game. That’s who I want on this team. Also seems like a Thibs guy, and a guy that will fit here
    Last edited by ShadyOne; 07-15-2021 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadyOne View Post
    You’re talking about the supposed bad things about Sexton, and you then linked to an article that is pretty positive about him.

More I read, more I’m on board. Seems like a tough kid, a hard worker, focused on his game. That’s who I want on this team. Also seems like a Thibs guy, and a guy that will fit here
    I agree. I was concerned about chemistry but he seems to be super intense and about ball. He just has a chip on his shoulder and he might be a dick. I can deal with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Glad to see we're going to pay Noah 6.5 mil....

Having said that this is where I trust the new regime to make good decisions. So far so good I'd say.

yes i don't think we've been set up like this in a long, long time, Knicks have so many options and if they come away doing nothing that will be a real set back imo.
    Doing nothing is not a setback, It's literally the definition of neutral and is preferable to making bad moves.

People want to see changes just for the sake of feeling like the team is trying to improve.

Every change should be weighed out on it's long term affects. I'm tired of short sided bad moves. A nothing is better than a negative or even a sideways move.

Quote Originally Posted by SK6 View Post
    Doing nothing is not a setback, It's literally the definition of neutral and is preferable to making bad moves.

People want to see changes just for the sake of feeling like the team is trying to improve.

Every change should be weighed out on it's long term affects. I'm tired of short sided bad moves. A nothing is better than a negative or even a sideways move.
    ok that is like captain obvious lol..... who is talking about bad moves but doing nothing, IMO we don't make the playoffs, so that is a set back, correct me if you disagree, but going from 4th seed and dropping by all definitions is a set back.

Let me add if we do nothing and don't make the playoffs, how is that lineup of FA's looking, I don't think it will be to long lets put it that way.

Knicks need to make a positive move or it will be a set back. No move is not good, they have assets and cap, and having that with some of the talent that is available and could be available is a major set back and not so good FO work.

Quote Originally Posted by Knick Danger View Post
    Glad to see we're going to pay Noah 6.5 mil....

Having said that this is where I trust the new regime to make good decisions. So far so good I'd say.
    Last year of us having to pay him.

The Knicks are BACK...part 2

ok that is like captain obvious lol..... who is talking about bad moves but doing nothing, IMO we don't make the playoffs, so that is a set back, correct me if you disagree, but going from 4th seed and dropping by all definitions is a set back.

Let me add if we do nothing and don't make the playoffs, how is that lineup of FA's looking, I don't think it will be to long lets put it that way.

Knicks need to make a positive move or it will be a set back. No move is not good, they have assets and cap, and having that with some of the talent that is available and could be available is a major set back and not so good FO work.
    To me the Knicks not making the playoffs is a setback.

This season's Knicks were not a legitimate 4th seed.
    They over achieved to get there. Injuries to better teams, covid, last season's playoff teams only getting 6 weeks of rest , no crowds, etc. all contributed to the Knicks getting a 4th seed. The Knicks as constructed are not better than the Heat, Celts, Hawks yet they were seeded higher for several reasons. Even the Wizards started playing better after a sloppy start by Westbrook and Beal.

Once you realize the Knicks are closer to a 7th or 8th seed then you are less likely to feel disappointed if they don't repeat being the 4th seed.

Knicks need to improve but I don't feel they need to make desperation moves. If a great deal comes along pull the trigger. If not just continue developing the youth and draft well. There is money to sign some good FA's but again only pull the trigger if it's a good deal. A good deal should be an easily tradeable asset.
    Last edited by SK6; 07-17-2021 at 06:45 PM.

They over achieved to get there. Injuries to better teams, covid, last season's playoff teams only getting 6 weeks of rest , no crowds, etc. all contributed to the Knicks getting a 4th seed. The Knicks as constructed are not better than the Heat, Celts, Hawks yet they were seeded higher for several reasons. Even the Wizards started playing better after a sloppy start by Westbrook and Beal.

Once you realize the Knicks are closer to a 7th or 8th seed then you are less likely to feel disappointed if they don't repeat being the 4th seed.

Knicks need to improve but I don't feel they need to make desperation moves. If a great deal comes along pull the trigger. If not just continue developing the youth and draft well. There is money to sign some good FA's but again only pull the trigger if it's a good deal. A good deal should be an easily tradeable asset.
    I agree with this but i'm not sure if we make no move and others do we make the playoffs.

We are not a 4th seed projected as is, you have to put Atlanta, and Miami ahead of us. Indy is better than us and has enough assets to improve, Wash came on like gang busters and of course there is Boston and we can't just throw Toronto out the door for one bad season.

What you don't add is what are bad moves and what is considered good moves?

Knicks won't make any desperation moves.

I get why people are worried about that, but those days are over. I said it when we got Rose and his boys on staff, we finally have real basketball people who know how to work the nba the right way, and more importantly, have the contacts and connections to make things happen behind the scenes.

They know who to talk to, and how to get the ball moving to do the things they want.

We haven't had that, ever.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast