Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Report: Kings interested in G Ben Simmons

Just scan through the teams that have been linked to a Simmons trade already: Cleveland, Indiana, Minnesota and Sacramento are known suitors. Toronto is also said to have expressed interest. More will emerge.
    https://marcstein.substack.com/p/fin...ade-talk-today

I am not a Ben Simmons fan. I don't see how we are going to do a package for him that will work for the Kings without giving up Fox. I would rather have Fox than Simmons. The only player I see us giving up for him is Hield and our 1st round pick. Not sure that will be enough for the Sixers.

This idea of moving Simmons to PF I don't think will work, his defensive skills are on the perimeter guarding other teams PG. I think it will be a whole different game guarding other teams PF.

If we do trade for Simmons be prepared as in the final year of his contract he will be making 40 mil while Hield will be making 18........

In summary Simmons for Hield and a 1st would likely get us into the playoffs, but I don't think this will be a good long term fit unless Simmons shows the desire to improve his game.

P.S. Reading a report that it would likely take Hield, Bagley, and 3 first round picks including this seasons to get Simmons.
    Last edited by Plague; 07-14-2021 at 03:07 PM.

I’m totally on board with Simmons. I think I would give up the three picks for Simmons. Fox, Hali, and Simmons is a really nice young core.

Just playing devils advocate here… but looking at this draft, it seems as though there are better guard options where we pick. If we are in love with a player like davion or giddy at our pick- would it make sense to trade fox for Simmons?

I view Simmons as more of a SF. Similar to lebron. Players like that are able to play other positions, but really offer more at SF. As a PG their ball handling and passing is average. At SF, they become elite in those categories. Similarly, as a PF, their size is ok. But at SF, they are above average.

Anyway… if you factor in potential draft picks. Would you rather have fox and or if the forwards? Or Simmons and one of the guards?

Been thinking about this.

I’d prefer Fox because I think it’s way easier to build a team around him than to build a team around Simmons. However, it is pretty close between them. I don’t think swapping Fox and Simmons would have a huge effect on our record. I would only be interested in Simmons if we could team him up with Fox.

No way am I trading Fox in a deal for Simmons. I think when the 2 of their careers are over Fox will be known as the better player.

I am not making my decision with the idea that I can pick a better guard at 9 and that player may turn out to be our next Marvin Bagley and the better of the 2 players now plays for the Sixers.
    Last edited by Plague; 07-17-2021 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    No way am I trading Fox in a deal for Simmons. I think when the 2 of their careers are over Fox will be known as the better player.

I am not making my decision with the idea that I can pick a better guard at 9 and that player may turn out to be our next Marvin Bagley and the better of the 2 players now plays for the Sixers.
    Fair enough.

But… does that mean that when you are up to draft and the best player on your board is davion or giddy do you pass on then since you have fox? Or do you draft the best player and find a way to play davion and fox together?

Kings are not in the position to draft based on need. You draft BPA always.

Quote Originally Posted by FarOutIos View Post
    Fair enough.

But… does that mean that when you are up to draft and the best player on your board is davion or giddy do you pass on then since you have fox? Or do you draft the best player and find a way to play davion and fox together?
    I agree with Sacgiants. You pick the best player and if it works out you have trade options. Who now thinks we should of taken Doncic or Trae over Bagley even though we already had Fox? In general when it comes to the NBA draft I am about BPA unless its a close decision. You can always make trades down the line. In this case if we take davion and he turns out as good as his brother then a guy like Hield becomes much more expendable.
    Last edited by Plague; 07-18-2021 at 06:16 PM.

I completely agree on drafting BPA no matter what. But… as you mentioned… who thinks we should have drafted doncic. Answer: almost everyone. But that was at the time we were drafting. I’d guess 95% of all fans wanted doncic. But we still picked based on need more than BPA. And that was obviously a big mistake. Unfortunately, this mistake is made often. I dont have faith that it won’t be made again.

Quote Originally Posted by FarOutIos View Post
    I completely agree on drafting BPA no matter what. But… as you mentioned… who thinks we should have drafted doncic. Answer: almost everyone. But that was at the time we were drafting. I’d guess 95% of all fans wanted doncic. But we still picked based on need more than BPA. And that was obviously a big mistake. Unfortunately, this mistake is made often. I dont have faith that it won’t be made again.
    On the plus side we have a different GM who so far looks to be doing a good job drafting. I do question the 2nd round picks, several 2nd round picks have already contributed to their teams. We actually drafted Kenyon Martin jr(traded him) and Xavier Tillman (traded him) and both early on look very good
    Last edited by Plague; 07-18-2021 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    On the plus side we have a different GM who so far looks to be doing a good job drafting. I do question the 2nd round picks, several 2nd round picks have already contributed to their teams. We actually drafted Kenyon Martin jr(traded him) and Xavier Tillman (traded him) and both early on look very good
    True. That something we’ve seen a few times over the years. My viewpoint is, when you aren’t a great team, play your second rounders. Play any young players. Don’t play vet role players. Many times, there’s at least one sleeper player who ends up breaking out. Or at least, they will produce good numbers on a bad team and maybe increase their trade value.

I think that the higher in the draft you are, you have to go BPA. Team needs should definitely factor in to our second rounder though.

I saw the kings are going after Lilliard. I would love to have Lilliard but hearing that the Blazers want something like 3 first round picks, 4 pick swaps and either Fox or Halliburton as a starting point. Seems a little crazy for the Kings as they won't likely be a contender swapping Lilliard for either Fox or Halliburton for Lilliard. Consider Lilliard has only taken the Blazers to the second round twice and never past the second round and the Blazers have had better teams than the Kings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast