Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MLB Draft

MLB Draft

The first day of the MLB draft is in the books with a couple of surprises. The first overall pick, Henry Davis, is an excellent player and the Pirates have a need at catcher, but not many people thought he would be taken there. Jack Leiter is a tremendous talent and is a very solid pick at #2. I, frankly, am surprised that Kumar Rocker was still available at #10 for the Mets, but I am not surprised that they took him. He is a great fit there, as he would be anywhere.
    https://www.mlb.com/news/2021-mlb-dr...plete-coverage
    Any other surprises to anyone?

The Sox got mayer at four with is amazing. The pirates really messed that up same with the tigers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mayer, along with Downs, could make the Sox infield really good for a very long time, especially if Devers and Dalbec can continue to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightbottle View Post
    The Sox got mayer at four with is amazing. The pirates really messed that up same with the tigers.

Both of them got a lot in the later rounds which makes the picks make a lot of sense

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

At first this would be the case but after what they did in the second round, this was a brilliant move.

They essentially got 4 first round talents instead of 2 if they would of drafted Mayer and paid him a lot more money than they would Davis.

Tigers also may have gotten the best arm in the draft in Jobe and then went on to draft Madden who was considered a mid round pick who could of gone as high as 10.

I get it that Mayer was a stud but these two teams in passing on him may have ended up with more upper echelon players drafted.

These two teams need a lot of players not just one guy and while I like Mayer is he a generational talent? Only time will tell.

Imo the Pirates, Tigers and Marlins did phenomenal in this draft.

Mets got lucky that the Angels suck *** at drafting and took whoever that was at 9 instead of Rocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    At first this would be the case but after what they did in the second round, this was a brilliant move.

They essentially got 4 first round talents instead of 2 if they would of drafted Mayer and paid him a lot more money than they would Davis.

Tigers also may have gotten the best arm in the draft in Jobe and then went on to draft Madden who was considered a mid round pick who could of gone as high as 10.

I get it that Mayer was a stud but these two teams in passing on him may have ended up with more upper echelon players drafted.

These two teams need a lot of players not just one guy and while I like Mayer is he a generational talent? Only time will tell.

Imo the Pirates, Tigers and Marlins did phenomenal in this draft.

Mets got lucky that the Angels suck *** at drafting and took whoever that was at 9 instead of Rocker.

I really don't know what the angels are doing. They don't sign pitchers and they had a blue chip fall in there laps and do t take it.. That GM should be fired

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

Reading the book Moneyball let me see how the draft works a bit differently. I'm not sure that drafting directly from computer-generated lists is the best way to go, but it does give you an idea who to go look at.
    Billy Beane drafts college players more than high schoolers. He lets colleges deal with the growing pains of 18-20 year olds. A cousin of a friend of mine was drafted out of high school by the Phillies a few years ago and has washed out in the minors. I think he made a mistake signing and would have been far better served going to college to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Reading the book Moneyball let me see how the draft works a bit differently. I'm not sure that drafting directly from computer-generated lists is the best way to go, but it does give you an idea who to go look at.
    Billy Beane drafts college players more than high schoolers. He lets colleges deal with the growing pains of 18-20 year olds. A cousin of a friend of mine was drafted out of high school by the Phillies a few years ago and has washed out in the minors. I think he made a mistake signing and would have been far better served going to college to develop.
    A lot more high school position players Pan put tough. Sucks for your bud. But least he got drafted

A lot more high school position players Pan put tough. Sucks for your bud. But least he got drafted

You are absolutely right. Some high schoolers do pan out. At least he'd have had an education paid for. He is a smart kid and is back in school on his own dime now. He's planning to go to law school.

Day 3 of the draft -- rounds 11-20, will start soon. Here is what Jonathan Mayo, of MLB.com, thinks about how it's going to go:
    https://www.mlb.com/news/draft-day-3...draft-coverage

How do you know that for sure?
    Eichel Tower

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    How do you know that for sure?
    Maybe not the tigers but the pirates sure did. Chosen a catcher number one isnít a good move. The likely hood he ends up being buster posey is like ten percent.

He doesn't need to become the best catcher in the game for that to be a very big win for this draft. They were able to land several in the "top 50" because of that move. Davis does have the profile of an above average hitter with good skills behind the plate who is very likely to make the Majors rather quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    He doesn't need to become the best catcher in the game for that to be a very big win for this draft. They were able to land several in the "top 50" because of that move. Davis does have the profile of an above average hitter with good skills behind the plate who is very likely to make the Majors rather quickly.
    Yah so was whatís his name the oís picked. Sorry that doesnít justify a number one pick.

Yah so was whatís his name the oís picked. Sorry that doesnít justify a number one pick.

The guy who's a top prospect, 23 years old with a 140 wRC+ in AA and expecting to make the Majors later this year? You think he was a bad pick? He's a 65 FV and every projection system has him as a league average bat if he debuted tomorrow. And he missed a whole year of development and has still hit the ground running.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast