Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Humor and Religion.

I think it was Robert Frost who wrote something to the effect of “Forgive O Lord my little jokes on Thee, and I will forgive Thy great big joke on on me.”

I hope there is room for some humor here, addressing both the religious and unreligious.

I like Wiley Miller’s cartoon renderings.

One of my favorites is more about how poorly most musicians are paid than it is religion, but here it is:
    3 guys standing in line at the Pearly Gates and Peter decides to ask each what their annual income was.
    "$250,000" said the first. "What did you do?" asked Peter. I was a doctor.
    "$200,000" said the second, "I was a lawyer."
    "$30,000" said the third. "What instrument did you play?" asked Peter.

My all time favorite, at least 'at the gates of heaven' joke, tho...(and there's variations of this, too)

A man is standing on his front porch as flood waters are rising. A man in a 4-wheel drive comes by and offers him a ride to safety. "No thanks, the Lord said He would take care of me, so I'll stay here." The waters rise even further and the man is looking out his 2nd floor window when a man in a boat comes by and offers him a ride to safety. "No thanks, the Lord said He would take care of me, so I'll stay here." Now the waters rise so high the man climbs onto his roof. A helicopter flys by and offers him a ride to safety, and again the man says, "No thanks, the Lord said He would take care of me."

The man drowned and is standing at the gate shaking his head when Peter asks him what was the matter. The man says, "I was always taught that when I most needed the Lord, He would be there to help me." Peter says, "Well gee, we sent you a 4-wheel drive, a boat and a helicopter!"
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

A young girl comes home from a date looking rather sad.
    Her mother asks her what’s wrong.
    She says, “Bill proposed to me an hour ago.”
    Her mother asks, “Why are you so sad then?”
    The girl replies, “Because he also told me he was an atheist. Mom, he doesn’t even believe there’s a hell.”
    Her mother says, “Marry him anyway. Between the two of us, we’ll show him how wrong he is.”