Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

2021 Yanks buyers or sellers at the deadline

I figured i better get this started since i expect us to be very active one way or another at the deadline.

1st rumor, Its been widely reported that the Yanks have talked to the Twins about Berrios with Voit, Gil and Waldichuk being talked about as the return.

I absolutely hate that deal for us, Gil is in AAA and Waldichuk will be shortly and are probably 2 of our best 3 pitching specs. It wouldn't surprised me if either of both of our pitching specs ended up better than Berrios as soon as next yr.
    Last edited by dayners81; 07-06-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Berrios is the type of guy I would hope they go after. Anyone they trade for needs to be someone they can pencil in for the next few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Berrios is the type of guy I would hope they go after. Anyone they trade for needs to be someone they can pencil in for the next few seasons.
    I actually like Berrios and would happily structure a deal around Voit for him, but i wouldn't be willing to give up either Gil and especially not Waldichuk

Gil is already in AAA and is starting to put it together, at this point he has a fairly safe floor as an elite back or the BP or MOR starter with an ace upside and isn't that far away.

Waldichuk is a 23yr 6ft4-5 230lb LH starter, with easy 96-98 FB's and a good feel for 3 other pitches. Hes 2nd in the farm with ERA and K's and has performed very well in AA. If he continues to pitch this well in AA he's likely to see AAA this yr. Waldichuk is starting to get alot of attention national and has got some David Price Comps, mostly because he's LHed with elite velocity. Big Lhed starters, with elite velo and multiple pitches is a combo for an Ace IMO.

Next yr as it sits we'll have Cole and Sevy as our 1-2, to even dream about trading away either Gil or Waldichuk it would have to be for somebody who is under 30 and as good as Sevy healthy.

I think there is a good chance at least 1 of Gil or Waldichuk will be as good or better than Berrios with the next 2yrs

They want something like Voit, Devi/Schmidt , Junk and a lottery ticket we might have something to talk about but for Berrio , Gil and Waldi aren't available

For me Gil and Waldichuk are 2 of our best 3 pitching specs, from a very impressive collection that we have

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I actually like Berrios and would happily structure a deal around Voit for him, but i wouldn't be willing to give up either Gil and especially not Waldichuk

Gil is already in AAA and is starting to put it together, at this point he has a fairly safe floor as an elite back or the BP or MOR starter with an ace upside and isn't that far away.

Waldichuk is a 23yr 6ft4-5 230lb LH starter, with easy 96-98 FB's and a good feel for 3 other pitches. Hes 2nd in the farm with ERA and K's and has performed very well in AA. If he continues to pitch this well in AA he's likely to see AAA this yr. Waldichuk is starting to get alot of attention national and has got some David Price Comps, mostly because he's LHed with elite velocity. Big Lhed starters, with elite velo and multiple pitches is a combo for an Ace IMO.

Next yr as it sits we'll have Cole and Sevy as our 1-2, to even dream about trading away either Gil or Waldichuk it would have to be for somebody who is under 30 and as good as Sevy healthy.

I think there is a good chance at least 1 of Gil or Waldichuk will be as good or better than Berrios with the next 2yrs

They want something like Voit, Devi/Schmidt , Junk and a lottery ticket we might have something to talk about but for Berrio , Gil and Waldi aren't available

For me Gil and Waldichuk are 2 of our best 3 pitching specs, from a very impressive collection that we have
    I'm not sure Voit really has much value. I think he is more valuable to the Yankees than in a trade. I usually err on the side of trade prospects for proven guys. Waldichuk I would definitely trade. If you can get a legit excellent pitcher for a guy who has 10 good starts then you do it IMO. Gil is tougher for me. You have to pick and choose which guys are the ones you really want to keep around and which guys are trade bait. Sometimes a guy works out like Sevy but that is rare. Yanks probably regret not cashing in on Garcia/Schmidt now. We've also seen these lefties with velocity who cannot control the ball like Banuelos.

I get your point and can't disagree.

For me , Waldichuk is going to be special. Man-Ban could get his FB to that 94-97 range but was a smaller guy and threw with some pretty big effort to get that velo . His command was much better when he was in the 91-93 range.

Waldi is a big kid, that has very easy velo you don't see often from LHed starters. He has a feel for 3 off speed pitches that he controls well and we just haven't seen that kind of combo pitch of from a LHed starter in a while. IMO he's just not one you trade IMO

IMO you have several other guys with similar value i would trade first

I agree.

Voit increased his value last night with a 5 for 6 night. Maybe the Twins are scouting and will take less on the pitching front.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    That's a tough trade question. As Eagles said, he's the kind of guy you want for a trade like that.
    Except he's on'y got one more year of control. So it's really, only a year and a half rental and I don't think those two pitching specs are worth it.
    Also, if Gil has another 3 really good starts, he's about ready for the bigs. Even though last night's game wasn't great for him, he still went 5 and only gave up a run.
    I think it's a bad trade. I would not move my top 2 pitching specs for Berrios for a year and a half of his time.
    Last edited by Kinkotheclown; 07-07-2021 at 06:30 AM.

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    That's a tough trade question. As Eagles said, he's the kind of guy you want for a trade like that.
    Except he's on'y got one more year of control. So it's really, only a year and a half rental and I don't think those two pitching specs are worth it.
    Also, if Gil has another 3 really good starts, he's about ready for the bigs. Even though last night's game wasn't great for him, he still went 5 and only gave up a run.
    I think it's a bad trade. I would not move my top 2 pitching specs for Berrios for a year and a half of his time.
    Agreed.

Plus, we still don't know whether the arms of the pitching staff are going to fall off in the second half due to the large increase in innings from last year and how much we will need to do to replace them. Kluber is already down. Who knows with Tailon and German. Can we trust King much longer. We also are assuming that there won't be any fatigue on Cole or Montgomery. Hopefully, we have Severino coming back to pitch the rest of the season, but is Deivi an answer and I'd still want a couple of more pitchers who could be called up other than Nester and Nelson.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Agreed.

Plus, we still don't know whether the arms of the pitching staff are going to fall off in the second half due to the large increase in innings from last year and how much we will need to do to replace them. Kluber is already down. Who knows with Tailon and German. Can we trust King much longer. We also are assuming that there won't be any fatigue on Cole or Montgomery. Hopefully, we have Severino coming back to pitch the rest of the season, but is Deivi an answer and I'd still want a couple of more pitchers who could be called up other than Nester and Nelson.
    I don’t think Devi is an answer
    I think they need to look at the next in line
    Is Schmidt progressing at all? He could be another option. I really think they should bring up Gil after the break. Even if only for a spot start

Where were these names mentioned before? I saw stuff speculating that the Yankees like Berrios but never saw any prospects rumored.

Berrios is a solid arm that that would be an asset in any rotation. He's posted a 3.36 ERA over 17 starts with 106 K's over 101 IP and a 1.25 WHIP. Berríos is a two-time All-Star, winning 14 games twice. At just 27 his future is bright. Imo it would take more than Gil.
    Last edited by drt1010; 07-07-2021 at 03:12 PM.

I figured i better get this started since i expect us to be very active one way or another at the deadline.

1st rumor, Its been widely reported that the Yanks have talked to the Twins about Berrios with Voit, Gil and Waldichuk being talked about as the return.

I absolutely hate that deal for us, Gil is in AAA and Waldichuk will be shortly and are probably 2 of our best 3 pitching specs. It wouldn't surprised me if either of both of our pitching specs ended up better than Berrios as soon as next yr.
    For a 1.5 year rental? Lmao. I guess Berrios is better than giving away Roansy, Yajure, Maikol Escotto, and Canaan Smith for TJ, but i wouldn't go anywhere near that deal, especially considering that the following will be available as free agents next season

Carlos Rodon
    Lance Lynn
    Noah Syndergaard
    Max Scherzer

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Where were these names mentioned before? I saw stuff speculating that the Yankees like Berrios but never saw any prospects rumored.
    I believe it was first mentioned by Rosenthal a couple days ago, but those were the specs names that the Twins reportedly liked

I really don't think it's an outrageous ask on the Twins part but I just wouldn't give up Gil or Waldi for Berrios

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    For a 1.5 year rental? Lmao. I guess Berrios is better than giving away Roansy, Yajure, Maikol Escotto, and Canaan Smith for TJ, but i wouldn't go anywhere near that deal, especially considering that the following will be available as free agents next season

Carlos Rodon
    Lance Lynn
    Noah Syndergaard
    Max Scherze
    r
    True and it's only money.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast