Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 322
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,962
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    Geez you were only 9? I was about 18!!! Big difference in that team and this team,,that team was really good really good,I'm going over that roster in my head and there is not one not one player on this team that I would take over our team in 78
    Well Jeez. That team had LH hitters Chambliss, Nettles, Jackson, Rivers and don't forget Gamble and Bloomberg, who all loved the right field stands and you had scrappy RH hitters like Munson. Piniella, Randolph, who were all capable of hitting close to .300 and Dent who was clutch when it counted. You had Guidry's magical season with 25 wins and Figueroa gave you a second 20 game winner and LHs like Rudy May and a middle relief staff headed by Ramiro who kept the team in the games if you ever got behind and you had Gossage (Not sure if Lyle was his set up man).

    LH Power hitters and professional RH hitters for high average cannot be substituted with free swinging RH power hitters and LH hitters with low averages. It is the exact opposite of a winning formula in Yankees stadium. The same is true about pitching with a need for more LH starters.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cold Spring, NY
    Posts
    5,963
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Only mid July?

    I remember back in 1988 when the Yanks and A’s had the best record in MLB around May 30 and played a huge series at that time of the season...

    Well, we fell apart like always with some of those good 1980s teams that ran out of pitching.....


    Yes, it's mid July. And I don't know what 1988 has to do with anything.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cold Spring, NY
    Posts
    5,963
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    Geez you were only 9? I was about 18!!! Big difference in that team and this team,,that team was really good really good,I'm going over that roster in my head and there is not one not one player on this team that I would take over our team in 78

    Bunch of kids here. I was 31. LOL
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    40,226
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Clown you hit the nail on the head. They are "....poorly constructed with good players." Too many RHed bats and essentially no balance. They pose no difficulty for opposing managers/pitchers to navigate. Gardy, Odor and Wade from the left side don't exactly strike fear in the minds of opposing pitchers. Teams are supposed to tailor their roster to their home ballpark and the Yankees have done the opposite !!! The short porch in right field says "hello." I have less issue with the power redundancy than you, however I do have serious concern with the RH dominance. I just wish some of the power came from the left side.

    Several players ( Frazier, Torres, Andujar ) have regressed. The team as a whole K's far too often. Besides Judge and Stanton, on occasion, they get little production from the clean up spot. They may set an MLB record for leaving RISP!

    So is the roster flawed? I say yes and no. It is poorly constructed with very good players, some have regressed while others have not performed as expected. They need at least some power from the left side, RH dominant line up at Yankee stadium is surrendering a huge home field advantage.
    I should phrase things differently. I have no problem with power. I have a problem with power and poor contact. Power and an inability to hit to the situation (move the runner, put a ball in play rather than K, get a run in from third...). Power with a lack of athleticism and ability to run. Power changing the game to a station to station fiasco.
    Matsui had power and had the ability to put the ball in play.
    For ****s sake, even Giambi had a lower K rate than 2/3rds of this team and he would move a runner. He would at least try to hit against the shift.

    Yankees teams that won it all, had a balance. This team does not.



    Ignorance is bliss

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,390
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    Geez you were only 9? I was about 18!!! Big difference in that team and this team,,that team was really good really good,I'm going over that roster in my head and there is not one not one player on this team that I would take over our team in 78
    I will NEVER forget the Dent that Bucky left! Red Sox fans are still crying.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I should phrase things differently. I have no problem with power. I have a problem with power and poor contact. Power and an inability to hit to the situation (move the runner, put a ball in play rather than K, get a run in from third...). Power with a lack of athleticism and ability to run. Power changing the game to a station to station fiasco.
    Matsui had power and had the ability to put the ball in play.
    For ****s sake, even Giambi had a lower K rate than 2/3rds of this team and he would move a runner. He would at least try to hit against the shift.

    Yankees teams that won it all, had a balance. This team does not.
    I won't disagree. However I would suggest power and K's do tend to go hand in hand.

    The current team K% is unacceptable.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,511

    2021 Yanks buyers or sellers at the deadline

    Quote Originally Posted by YANKSGUY View Post
    Bunch of kids here. I was 31. LOL
    So then we’ve seen them win the World Series 7 X, correct? Or you probably even more right?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by runnermjr1296; 07-15-2021 at 12:20 PM.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I will NEVER forget the Dent that Bucky left! Red Sox fans are still crying.
    Doc we’re you aware that the Sox fans gave Bucky a middle name?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,390
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    Doc we’re you aware that the Sox fans gave Bucky a middle name?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah. I am reminded frequently. Best friend is a Sox fan! Bucky F'n Dent is still a thorn in the side of many Sox fans old enough to remember. That was a magical season. Guidry finished 25-3 with a 1.74 ERA, winning the Cy Young Award unanimously, but finished second to Jim Rice in the MVP voting. The '78 team finished with the best ERA in the American League. Ed Figueroa won 20 and posted a 2.99 ERA.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    40,226
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    Doc we’re you aware that the Sox fans gave Bucky a middle name?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Was it his second or third HR that year?



    Ignorance is bliss

  11. #71
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Was it his second or third HR that year?
    Not sure but I do know it was His most important


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    40,226
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    Not sure but I do know it was His most important


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was wayyyyy off. 150% off. He had 5.



    Ignorance is bliss

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    12,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I will feel sick if they trade for Gallo.
    108 ks in 356 PAs
    Just what this lineup needs
    other than being LHed, Gallo doesn't fit the needs of this club. He another high K slugger , who doesn't make enough contact or hit situationally.

    As much as i would hate to see us trade anyone of top 5-8 specs for anyone this season, i'd much rather the overpay for a guy like K Marte vs Gallo

    Gallo could probably hit 50 HRs next yr playing half his games in YS but he's not the guy we need IMO. Which is exactly why i expect the front office to make a trade like that

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,390
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    other than being LHed, Gallo doesn't fit the needs of this club. He another high K slugger , who doesn't make enough contact or hit situationally.

    As much as i would hate to see us trade anyone of top 5-8 specs for anyone this season, i'd much rather the overpay for a guy like K Marte vs Gallo

    Gallo could probably hit 50 HRs next yr playing half his games in YS but he's not the guy we need IMO. Which is exactly why i expect the front office to make a trade like that
    Given the choice I agree completely. Either will be costly in terms of prospects and dollars.

    Gallo is redundant as both you and clown have mentioned, no question. What he IS, is LHed power who plays multiple positions and is athletic. If Yankees plan on winning they need LHed power. It may not be Gallo, but it is a necessity imo. Gallo is a short term commitment, he is a FA next offseason. What is the cost of a rental?

    Personally I would hope they consider K Marte or even Benintendi. Marte would likely require a prospect haul that would certainly make most of us cringe.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    40,226
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Given the choice I agree completely. Either will be costly in terms of prospects and dollars.

    Gallo is redundant as both you and clown have mentioned, no question. What he IS, is LHed power who plays multiple positions and is athletic. If Yankees plan on winning they need LHed power. It may not be Gallo, but it is a necessity imo. Gallo is a short term commitment, he is a FA next offseason. What is the cost of a rental?

    Personally I would hope they consider K Marte or even Benintendi. Marte would likely require a prospect haul that would certainly make most of us cringe.
    If they moved Voit? Stuck Gallo at first? That would be fine. But only for a low cost and part of that cost is Voit.

    I would much rather have Marte or Benintendi.



    Ignorance is bliss

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •