Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2021 Off-season Thread

Alright, letís have a reset. Iím guessing the Rockets are just going to develop guys and obtain assets when they can and are still years away from getting back on track.

They have the #2 pick in the draft and might be able to trade Eric Gordon for something, even if itís just cap relief and opening up playing time for the youngins.

Wall ainít going anywhere and Iíd trade Wood if the price was right. Iíve thought (not that Iíd want to help them) but something along the lines of Wood and Gordon for Wiggins, #7 and either #14 or Wiseman. Wood is either going to sink or swim in the next few years and if he swims, heíll be getting paid right around the time the Rockets will be taking off with the youngins and getting out of the Wall contract. Bad timing; might want to sell high on him before a bad team continues to take him down.

Other issues abound, of course, and Iíd love to hear some chatter back in this forum.

Also, Matt Bullard is moving to an office role and is out as an announcer. I liked Bull and hopefully the next guy wonít be terrible.

I also would love to see more discussion back in the team forum again! I'll jump in with a few thoughts:

Wall and Gordon
    They need to be gone as soon as they reasonably can without moving assets to get rid of them. In Gordon's case, he's got about $38 million guaranteed left over two years, which really isn't that bad. I wouldn't call him an amazing asset by any means, but I think there's a chance a team would be willing to trade for him and provide something of value in return, even if it's just a pick swap, a (very) late 1st or a 2nd.

For Wall, he's either going to be here all season, or there's going to be a buyout. If he would agree to give back $10M-$20M, I could see Tilman agreeing to a buyout. If not, he's staying a Rocket for the foreseeable future. Nobody's trading for $90M+ over two years; he's not worth it, and frankly, just not a very good NBA player when he is on the floor. My hope is that he either gets bought out or accepts a decreased role on a team that is going to be very young the next few seasons and needs to develop young talent.

The rest of the "core"
    First off, no one is untouchable. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if none of the current "core" guys are on the roster in 3-5 years. I love Tate and Wood, but they're going to be 26 next season while most of the Rockets young guys are going to be 20-22; not sure they're on the same timeline. If you had to keep one, I hope it's Tate; I love his game. Wood is amazing, but he might be gone in two years and he can't seem to stay healthy.

KPJ seems to be very polarizing among Rockets fans. Some see him as a star; some see him as a problem off the court with no future in Houston. I'm somewhere in the middle. I think he's got a long way to go before I can trust him as a true building block for this franchise. He showed flashes last season; the kid has legitimate skills. But he was also wildly inconsistent, doesn't have a reliable 3-point shot yet and has been a terrible defender; and that's before you factor in off-court concerns. I truly hope he pans out, but I need to see some maturity from him on and off the court next season. A legitimate 3-point shot would help, too.

Of the rest, KJ Martin seems like he has real potential as a core piece on this team moving forward. He really showed some unexpected scoring potential those last few weeks of the season. He's got the athleticism and defensive skills to be a real contributor on the wing, even if it's as more of a role player. I'm also glad Houston re-signed Khyri Thomas; I really liked what I saw of his two-way game in a small sample size. I'd love to see Armoni Brooks re-signed as well.

The No. 2 pick
    You can't go wrong with Mobley or Green, but I lean slightly toward Green. Mobley has an all-around skillset and elite defensive potential that's attractive. But his offensive game is still pretty raw, and if I have to pick between a defensive big or an elite scoring guard with sky-high superstar potential, give me the scoring guard. I see Green being a 25/5/5 guy in a few years and Mobley more as a 18/9/4/2 guy ala Al Horford at his peak.

If it's Mobley on draft night, though, I definitely won't be sulking. Both of those kids are insanely talented, and I think they're going to get an All-Star caliber player down the line either way if they develop them the right way and put the right pieces around them.

Picks 23 and 24
    There are a few guys I like here, and I don't have any real strategy. I do think they should go BPA, but the Mobley/Green decision should affect what they do here slightly. You only have so many minutes for young bigs or young guards. Although, I wouldn't mind stashing one or both of them in the G-League for a year or two if it's needed.

I also wouldn't be opposed to trading up with these picks. It's a deep draft, and there's going to be a lot of talent in the 20s, but there are guys who will go in that 10-15 range who would be top 5 players in a weaker draft. I'm big on Kai Jones and Jalen Johnson, especially if Houston takes Green at No. 2. If one of those guys slips into that 13-17 range and you can package these picks and/or other assets move up to get a guy you love, go for it.

The broadcast booth
    Watching Worrell's last broadcast was definitely a sad moment and a good justification for watching a full Rockets game for the first time in a while. Little did we know it was Bullard's last as well. I didn't love how Bull was pushed from the booth, but at least they did him a solid and gave him a gig with the team.

In terms of their replacements, I really don't have anyone in mind. I would love for them to mirror what the Astros have done, though. Kalas and Blum is one of the best duos in all of professional sports, IMO. Maybe get a likeable professional broadcast type and pair him/her with a former player who can bring some intelligence and humor to the game.

As much as I loved and will miss the Worrell/Bullard team and thought Bull should have been treated better, their team has been below average for years now. It was probably time for some new blood. I just hope they don't blow it. It'd be nice to watch Rockets games and not cringe while hearing the hometown announcers.

Love it. Plus, is Craig Ackerman coming back for play by play for every game or is he being relegated back to radio only? I assume Clyde is long gone (whew) so I have no idea what theyíll do. The only rumor I heard was one of the 90ís guysÖ.Vernon Maxwell, I think?

And I just donít see Fertitta paying Wall to go away unless he gives back A LOT of money, which I donít see happening.

Lastly, Tad Brown just followed Morey to Philadelphia to be the new Sixers CEO (and the NJ Devils). Man, they couldnít run out of that Fertitta dumpster fire fast enough. They all wanted to take a break but those breaks sure didnít last longÖÖ.

ďWhen the Rockets were sold to Tillman Fertitta, part of the agreement included guaranteed five-year extensions for GM Daryl Morey, CEO Tad Brown, and others, which had to be paid out even if those execs joined other teams before the deals expired, writes Jonathan Feigen of The Houston Chronicle. This could have helped incentivize higher-ups to step down and pursue new opportunities, Feigen notes. This report comes on the heels of Brown being named CEO of the Sixers and New Jersey Devils.ď

Lol. Between this, the $2 Billionish and the CP3 handshake, Fertitta walked into a screw job. He got played.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Love it. Plus, is Craig Ackerman coming back for play by play for every game or is he being relegated back to radio only? I assume Clyde is long gone (whew) so I have no idea what theyíll do. The only rumor I heard was one of the 90ís guysÖ.Vernon Maxwell, I think?
    Mad Max would be super fun, and would also be a complete disaster. Dude curses like a sailor and would absolutely verbally obliterate the Jazz anytime Houston would have to play Utah. I think there's a lot of former players who would make sense, but I can't realistically see Maxwell getting the gig. Now, could he come on and occasionally provide occasional commentary like Bagwell has done in recent years for the Stros? That would be amazing!

And I just donít see Fertitta paying Wall to go away unless he gives back A LOT of money, which I donít see happening.
    Maybe, but I also think we've seen it with other stars on massive deals like Blake Griffin in the last year. If Tilman can save money and someone can convince him that it will be better for the development of the young players and on the on-court product, maybe they can convince him to do a buyout at some point this year. If not for a buyout, John Wall isn't going anywhere until at least next summer at the very earliest, and more than likely later than that.

Lastly, Tad Brown just followed Morey to Philadelphia to be the new Sixers CEO (and the NJ Devils). Man, they couldnít run out of that Fertitta dumpster fire fast enough. They all wanted to take a break but those breaks sure didnít last longÖÖ.
    Yeah, the Tad Brown news really hurt. Unlike Morey's exit, I really thought Tad was just leaving to legitimately retire. This shows you just how much some of the front office guys and personnel with the franchise hated working with the Fertittas.

Alperen Sengun been looking pretty good. Can you guys see him starting at C and Wood at PF.

Before seeing him play, I had a Bol Bol trade in mind. I think the guy can be a better player if he got more minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by c.c. View Post
    Alperen Sengun been looking pretty good. Can you guys see him starting at C and Wood at PF.

Before seeing him play, I had a Bol Bol trade in mind. I think the guy can be a better player if he got more minutes.
    I think eventually thatíll be the plan. Now, I bet theyíll let Wood and Theis take the majority of minutes and let the youngins learn and get some good backup minutes. Really excited for the season. Canít wait.

John Wall is the odd man out

Quote Originally Posted by c.c. View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    I think eventually thatíll be the plan. Now, I bet theyíll let Wood and Theis take the majority of minutes and let the youngins learn and get some good backup minutes. Really excited for the season. Canít wait.
    I don't expect Sengun will be in the starting lineup for Game 1. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if he spent some time in the G-League this season. But I would hope he works his way into the lineup as the clear third big over time and eventually into the starting five by season's end.

I think the elephant in the room with this Rockets' front court is what happens to Wood if Sengun reaches his potential? I do think the two guys could play next to each other offensively, but I think they'd be atrocious on defense. If Sengun reaches his potential, I just think Wood will inevitably get traded before the end of his contract.

I'm jumping the gun a bit here. Wood was a legitimate All-Star caliber player at times this season and Sengun hasn't played a minute of an NBA game yet. But I see Sengun's potential, and I think it's essentially a better version of Wood who can pass and play better defense despite being almost seven years younger. Sengun fits the timeline of the young core. Wood doesn't.

If I'm Stone, I'm paying super close attention to Sengun's development while quietly taking phone calls on Wood leading up to the trade deadline this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    John Wall is the odd man out
    I wish this were true, but sadly I think Wall is going to play a lot of minutes this season. I just don't see a team out there dumb enough to trade for his contract or the Rockets being willing to attache draft picks to get rid of him. The best bet for Wall to be gone is a buyout, but $92M+ is a hard pill to swallow for nothing in return. Maybe a buyout happens midseason, but I wouldn't bank on it at this point.

I'm hoping Wall gets enough rest though that Porter and Green get plenty of time to develop together as the team's starting back court. Given Wall's injury history, I'm thinking he plays maybe 45-55 games this season, and there's a lot of rest worked in. I'd prefer to see him come off the bench, but that doesn't seem realistic at this point either.