Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 169 1231151101 ... LastLast

Pulling out of Afghanistan

Now that it's looking like the troops will be pulled out around August, the reality is setting in.

The Taliban has become more and more aggressive. And it's looking like an inevitability that pulling out will result in them once again taking over the region (estimates are within 6 months).

At the end of the day I'm a bit torn. On one hand I feel like the war in Afghanistan has been labeled as something similar to Iraq, and it just plainly isn't. On the other hand, we don't have enough troops to actually eradicate the Taliban and secure the country. So not pulling up could mean decades of occupation.

But I can't ignore the reality of the situation. If the Taliban takes over you're likely going to be seeing mass murder, and destruction, and a return to an even further right ideology, that gives women almost no rights in the country. You also run the risk of Afghanistan turning back into a terrorist state.

I think at the end of the day, I kind of just feel like American politicians have made their own bed, and the feeling amongst the people is due to their own wrong doings and dishonesty when dealing with the region. But it saddens me to have us walk away and let people get slaughtered and persecuted by a group of people with awful beliefs and a terrible history of holding back progress.

So what do you think about the situation as it unfolds?

Quote Originally Posted by MRSpock View Post
    Now that it's looking like the troops will be pulled out around August, the reality is setting in.

The Taliban has become more and more aggressive. And it's looking like an inevitability that pulling out will result in them once again taking over the region (estimates are within 6 months).

At the end of the day I'm a bit torn. On one hand I feel like the war in Afghanistan has been labeled as something similar to Iraq, and it just plainly isn't. On the other hand, we don't have enough troops to actually eradicate the Taliban and secure the country. So not pulling up could mean decades of occupation.

But I can't ignore the reality of the situation. If the Taliban takes over you're likely going to be seeing mass murder, and destruction, and a return to an even further right ideology, that gives women almost no rights in the country. You also run the risk of Afghanistan turning back into a terrorist state.

I think at the end of the day, I kind of just feel like American politicians have made their own bed, and the feeling amongst the people is due to their own wrong doings and dishonesty when dealing with the region. But it saddens me to have us walk away and let people get slaughtered and persecuted by a group of people with awful beliefs and a terrible history of holding back progress.

That damn right ideology.
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

As opposed to now where there is nothing but rainbows and unicorns?

Here's my answer to the Afghanistan war: get the **** out of there, repeal the AUMF, and let them do what they want to do.

It's simply not our problem.
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Exactly!!

Itís not the US problem how these people want to live.

You canít stay there forever and for the most part the people of that area want to be left alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sad reality is there no point where we could exit where the Taliban wouldnít almost immediately return to power.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Exactly!!

You canít stay there forever and for the most part the people of that area want to be left alone.

No amount of US intervention is going to fix their problems. The trillions weíve wasted on these wars could have been used for so many other and more productive things.

All they done is bread more hate against the US because we have gone in and done terrible things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncsinmo View Post
    That damn right ideology.
    You realize in Afghanistan even you would probably be considered left wing.

Not entirely sure, for all I know you could be against women voting/running for office/driving/going to college.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Exactly!!

Well it actually was a problem for us. And other countries as well. As it was a safe haven for terrorist organizations.

This should have happened years ago, and it should have happened in May which was the date Trump set, but the Biden admin didn't want to *give Trump this win* so they pushed the date back so it could have more *symbolism* by having it on 9/11 which means they wasted more money and imperiled the lives of troops for 5 extra months for...symbolism?

My biggest fear is either the deep state and MIC roll Biden and gets him to stay, or they just go back in 6 months from now to *stop Taliban atrocities*

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    This should have happened years ago, and it should have happened in May which was the date Trump set, but the Biden admin didn't want to *give Trump this win* so they pushed the date back so it could have more *symbolism* by having it on 9/11 which means they wasted more money and imperiled the lives of troops for 5 extra months for...symbolism?
    Why would Trump get credit for the win for setting a deadline rather than Biden for actually doing it.

Gid the victim complex of you Trumpers is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaban2.0 View Post
    My biggest fear is either the deep state and MIC roll Biden and gets him to stay, or they just go back in 6 months from now to *stop Taliban atrocities*
    Queue the xfiles music.

Trump couldnt pull out of stormy daniels let alone afghanistan.
    Last edited by MRSpock; 07-06-2021 at 05:30 AM.

The fact that anyone thinks weíre going to pull out of Afghanistan at all is a big humorous. We arenít going anywhere. Itís like Lucy and the football. Thereís always going to be another reason why we have to stay.

Why would Trump get credit for the win for setting a deadline rather than Biden for actually doing it.

Gid the victim complex of you Trumpers is insane.
    Well, no, he actually negotiated and set the date. Had he won we would be out already.
    Biden hasn't ACTUALLY done anything other than just push the date back. I hope he follows through, but he hasn't done it yet.

Page 1 of 169 1231151101 ... LastLast