Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Expansion Draft

The comments are...interesting lol! I agree though, this was done very well. I get the feeling Patrick was going to be exposed and lost if the Ellis trade doesn't happen. Kudos to Chuck for pulling off a beneficial trade that upgrades the roster and uses a lost cause that was going to be lost anyway to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    The comments are...interesting lol! I agree though, this was done very well. I get the feeling Patrick was going to be exposed and lost if the Ellis trade doesn't happen. Kudos to Chuck for pulling off a beneficial trade that upgrades the roster and uses a lost cause that was going to be lost anyway to get it done.
    Personally feel like Nolan was getting the last spot over NAK, but semantics.

Before I call it successful, I need to see if Fletcher stands pat, or uses this time to orchestrate another move prior to the end of the draft.

Like maybe tarasenko?

Quote Originally Posted by txravis12 View Post
    Personally feel like Nolan was getting the last spot over NAK, but semantics.

Before I call it successful, I need to see if Fletcher stands pat, or uses this time to orchestrate another move prior to the end of the draft.

Like maybe tarasenko?
    Expansion or NHL amateur draft? Rosters are frozen until after the expansion draft. Tarasenko was also not protected in the expansion draft and may be selected by the Kraken.

It's a fine strategy either way. If they free up cap space they can acquire someone else throughout the offseason. Via trade or FA. Lots of options. They did a good job. That said there's a ton of high cap space players available so I think the hopes of JVR or Voracek being picked are low. But maybe they grab Gostisbehere. It'll still open enough.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Would teams contact Seattle about taking someone like a Tarasenko or Landeskog for draft capital or prospects? For example: Seattle takes Tarasenko and turns around and trades him to us for a nice little haul of prospects and pick

Quote Originally Posted by SportsNutMike View Post
    Would teams contact Seattle about taking someone like a Tarasenko or Landeskog for draft capital or prospects? For example: Seattle takes Tarasenko and turns around and trades him to us for a nice little haul of prospects and pick
    Potentially? But the Kraken will likely have a roster capable of competing right away if they want. They need to sell tickets, and merch. And while the hype of a new team will carry a bit...someone like Tarasenko will continue to sell merch and tickets.

I doubt they would do that. They need a face.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Expansion or NHL amateur draft? Rosters are frozen until after the expansion draft. Tarasenko was also not protected in the expansion draft and may be selected by the Kraken.

It's a fine strategy either way. If they free up cap space they can acquire someone else throughout the offseason. Via trade or FA. Lots of options. They did a good job. That said there's a ton of high cap space players available so I think the hopes of JVR or Voracek being picked are low. But maybe they grab Gostisbehere. It'll still open enough.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but eatlle can currently negotiate with all teams.

Meaning for example Seattle could agree to select someone like tarasenko, to the trade him to the flyers for Jake and a pick.

This is just one option. I have to assume with hakstol behind the bench the flyers could have an advantage w hakstol having history with some of these players.

Potentially? But the Kraken will likely have a roster capable of competing right away if they want. They need to sell tickets, and merch. And while the hype of a new team will carry a bit...someone like Tarasenko will continue to sell merch and tickets.

I doubt they would do that. They need a face.

While they'll be looking to compete early, they also need to build a farm system. As of right now, they have nothing.

While they'll be looking to compete early, they also need to build a farm system. As of right now, they have nothing.
    Right. They do. But I think it's probably best to see what LV was able to do season 1 and expect Seattle to try to replicate their success. They have high draft picks, and getting a 28 year old star winger isn't getting a player you're worried about aging out. The Kraken can build a strong team that's not full of 35 year olds, and build the system slowly. They don't need to take a Tarasenko and then flip him right away.

The "maybe Seattle will take a player we like for us, then trade him to us for prospects!" sounds pretty pie in the sky and we should probably just refrain from thinking like that. It's not an impossible outcome, but it's highly unlikely. It feels the same as the "well maybe the Flyers will move up to the top-5" NHL amateur draft conversion that happens every year and never happens. Seattle needs a face. There's no better face/identity in that draft than Tarasenko (I suspect Montreal has a reason for letting Price be available and that he won't be taken. Fresh off a Cup birth, they can't lose Price for free).

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-18-2021 at 04:45 PM.

Right. They do. But I think it's probably best to see what LV was able to do season 1 and expect Seattle to try to replicate their success. They have high draft picks, and getting a 28 year old star winger isn't getting a player you're worried about aging out. The Kraken can build a strong team that's not full of 35 year olds, and build the system slowly. They don't need to take a Tarasenko and then flip him right away.

The "maybe Seattle will take a player we like for us, then trade him to us for prospects!" sounds pretty pie in the sky and we should probably just refrain from thinking like that. It's not an impossible outcome, but it's highly unlikely. It feels the same as the "well maybe the Flyers will move up to the top-5" NHL amateur draft conversion that happens every year and never happens. Seattle needs a face. There's no better face/identity in that draft than Tarasenko (I suspect Montreal has a reason for letting Price be available and that he won't be taken. Fresh off a Cup birth, they can't lose Price for free).

The Price contract is insane. Also think he's due an 11 million dollar bonus this summer. Hefty contract and instant payment for Seattle if they go that way. Especially with his NMC still being intact for all other moves.

I think my think with tarasenko from a Seattle stand point is his injury history and lack of term on the contract. The chance hes just not that guy anymore is good. On the other side, if he is that guy still, he's about to get a new deal and a raise. Will he even want to be here?

If I'm Seattle I'm looking to flip tarasenko for more sure things. Obviously that doesn't mean the flyers are going to get him, but it would theoretically give Fletcher a chance.

The Price contract is insane. Also think he's due an 11 million dollar bonus this summer. Hefty contract and instant payment for Seattle if they go that way. Especially with his NMC still being intact for all other moves.

I think my think with tarasenko from a Seattle stand point is his injury history and lack of term on the contract. The chance hes just not that guy anymore is good. On the other side, if he is that guy still, he's about to get a new deal and a raise. Will he even want to be here?

If I'm Seattle I'm looking to flip tarasenko for more sure things. Obviously that doesn't mean the flyers are going to get him, but it would theoretically give Fletcher a chance.
    I think you answered exactly why they won't do that, though. Every team knows the risks. Let's put it this way; if St. Louis believed there was a robust market to get things for Tarasenko they'd probably have kept him and traded him themselves. They're offering him for free and forgoing any return. I think they know.

If Seattle takes Tarasenko it's a gamble, but generally one that costs money only. If a team trades for him, it's money and asset capital. I don't think many teams are out there to give up many assets for all of the reason you explained. Seattle can take the gamble like no other team, and he gives them instantly a name that cannot be ignored on the back of a jersey for sales. It's why I doubt they move him.

I think you answered exactly why they won't do that, though. Every team knows the risks. Let's put it this way; if St. Louis believed there was a robust market to get things for Tarasenko they'd probably have kept him and traded him themselves. They're offering him for free and forgoing any return. I think they know.

If Seattle takes Tarasenko it's a gamble, but generally one that costs money only. If a team trades for him, it's money and asset capital. I don't think many teams are out there to give up many assets for all of the reason you explained. Seattle can take the gamble like no other team, and he gives them instantly a name that cannot be ignored on the back of a jersey for sales. It's why I doubt they move him.

Seattle could afford to gamble, and they just might. They could also afford to eat 50% and reduce the risk for another team while making tarasenko that much more valuable. Something the blues would have a real hard time doing

I think it's foolish to think Seattle is going to be able to compete like Vegas did right away. Vegas was able to build a serious amount of depth with all the side deals last time around and I don't see it playing out the same way. It's hard to build a contendinf team around most teams 11th best assets.

Not sure what thread to pop this in but according to Anthony SanFilippo, the Flyers are closing in on a three way deal with the St. Louis Blues and Seattle Kraken...

- The Kraken will select Vladimir Tarasenko from the St. Louis Blues in the expansion draft.
    - Seattle will then trade Tarasenko to the Flyers for Voracek and a draft pick. Im told its not the first rounder either. So, lets say a 2 or a 3.
    - The Kraken then select Robert Hgg from the Flyers in the expansion draft.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2021/0...o-do-list.html

ADD ON -- Jake for Vlad would save us 750k alone. Hagg adds another 1.6M. That would bring us up to around 11M cap space with only Sanheim to sign (probably around 2-3M AAV over a bridge), Frost's ~900k, and probably York's 900k....so around 6-7M in cap still...That's if we don't move Ghost, JVR, or anyone else....That said, VAST improvements seemingly being made if this comes through.
    Last edited by LLMunchie619; 07-19-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Not sure what thread to pop this in but according to Anthony SanFilippo, the Flyers are closing in on a three way deal with the St. Louis Blues and Seattle Kraken...

- The Kraken will select Vladimir Tarasenko from the St. Louis Blues in the expansion draft.
    - Seattle will then trade Tarasenko to the Flyers for Voracek and a draft pick. Im told its not the first rounder either. So, lets say a 2 or a 3.
    - The Kraken then select Robert Hgg from the Flyers in the expansion draft.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2021/0...o-do-list.html

ADD ON -- Jake for Vlad would save us 750k alone. Hagg adds another 1.6M. That would bring us up to around 11M cap space with only Sanheim to sign (probably around 2-3M AAV over a bridge), Frost's ~900k, and probably York's 900k....so around 6-7M in cap still...That's if we don't move Ghost, JVR, or anyone else....That said, VAST improvements seemingly being made if this comes through.
    Id be willing to sweeten the pot for Vlad too if Seattle would retain some cap.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast