Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    He very much was at the time.
    My mom told me that one of the popular sayings in our area (Virginia aka the state that had Lee-Jackson-King day until 2000) used to be “why didn’t they shoot four more of them so we could have gotten the week off”. The them is pretty obvious to anyone who is being intellectually honest.

He definitely was a controversial person. He wanted very much for minorities to start their own businesses and run them so they could get the "black" economy back. He was not being racist when he said this, as he realized they would have to partner with many white-owned businesses to get everything going.
    As Buck O'Neil said, when asked about life in the Black Leagues, "We had the best accommodations in most cities, they just happened to be owned by blacks". Blacks owned hotels, restaurants, clubs, bars, and most of the Black League teams were owned by blacks.
    I digress. MLK wanted people to "do for themselves" and believed in free enterprise. Lots of whites at that time (and one can argue this trend still continues today) felt that blacks were getting "uppity" when they wanted to start businesses. It has proven to be an incorrect feeling.
    Last edited by catman; 07-26-2021 at 01:28 AM.

https://projects.newsday.com/long-is...estate-agents/

https://projects.newsday.com/long-is...investigation/

Newsday’s black testers experienced disparate treatment at higher rates than did Hispanic (39 percent) and Asian testers (19 percent).
    In 11 cases, agents directed black testers to different neighborhoods than white testers in comparisons that showed evidence of steering.

In five instances, agents imposed conditions on black testers that amounted to the denial of equal service compared with conditions requested of white testers.

In three cases, agents either spoke about steering to the white tester but not the black tester or volunteered information about the ethnic makeup of communities only to white testers.

Altogether, agents provided white testers an average of 50 percent more listings than they gave to black counterparts – 39 compared with 26, including instances when agents provided no listings to one tester.
    If people think that is just going on in one part of NY, they're crazy. More evidence that systemic racism doesn't exist though
    Last edited by metswon69; 07-26-2021 at 04:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Idiots will get worked up about anything. You change the name of a baseball team or sing a song and they can’t shut up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always wonder if people like you have any traditional values at all. Do you have any sense of connection with where you are or what is going on around you??? Any civic pride??? (We know you have no national pride.)

Changing the name of a baseball team that has been around for over 100 years is just absurd since the name is totally non-offensive. And as far as I have heard, it doesn't bother real Indians. So the change is being made to satisfy some idiot professor who was able to convince equally idiot students that somehow "Indians"is offensive. Many cities are proud of being connected with their sports teams and derive a certain amount of civic pride from those teams. Bragging rights, fun conversations going back and forth with other cities etc. (Obviously, this is not something someone like you would understand.) Try changing the name of the Dallas Cowboys (hey, they fought the Indians, were cruel to animals with branding and rodeos.) How about the New York Yankees (everyone south of the Mason Dixon line could be offended by that name.)

Other than the Washington Redskins, I've yet to hear a sports name that could be considered offensive……except to people like you.

And as far as……sing a song and they can’t shut up. This says all anyone needs to know about you and how clueless you are.

Pay attention here……it's not the song that infuriates anyone. It's a fairly nice and peaceful song. Sing it, or anything,, all you want.

It is elevating this song or ANY SONG to a position of being equal to that of the American national anthem (that's The Star Spangled Banner in case you are unaware of it). This is (or should be) unacceptable to any American, black or white) who has any shred of pride in the country he or she lives in.

Hope this helps. I doubt it will but one can hope.

Big surprise.

How do you feel about Texas introducing a law that no longer requires teaching the KKK is bad or learning about MLK?
    No longer "requires" but, I believe that they can teach about it if they wish……and they probably will. So you can relax.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    https://projects.newsday.com/long-is...estate-agents/

https://projects.newsday.com/long-is...investigation/

If people think that is just going on in one part of NY, they're crazy. More evidence that systemic racism doesn't exist though
    If I had to guess……………

I would think that the realtor is doing what he or she can to make a sale as quickly as possible. One of the biggest complaints that a realtor will complain about is the amount of time that is wasted. Most people buying a house have little experience in doing so. The realtor has tons of experience. Any "steering" would be done consciously or sub-consciously using that experience to connect potential buyers with a deal that will go thru.

Another point……why does the realtor care where anyone buys a house unless that house is next door to the realtor himself??? Point is, he doesn't care.

Another point………it is just as easy for a buyer to look up a home on line as it is a realtor. How does a realtor refuse to show a house someone finds on line and wants to see it???

A few things the article(s) were not really clear about is how does a realtor answer certain questions………
    What are the schools like in XXX???
    What is the crime rate in XXX???
    What is the racial makeup in XXX???

These are questions that some buyers would flat out ask. How does a realtor answer blunt questions such as these.???

Does "steering" go on??? Yeah, probably. But I think it is more in the interest of expediting a sale than maintaining racial makeups. The realtor does not care who buys what. They're just interested in making the sale and doing so as smoothly as possible in as short a time as possible.

There is always more than one angle to a story,

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    I always wonder if people like you have any traditional values at all. Do you have any sense of connection with where you are or what is going on around you??? Any civic pride??? (We know you have no national pride.)

Changing the name of a baseball team that has been around for over 100 years is just absurd since the name is totally non-offensive. And as far as I have heard, it doesn't bother real Indians. So the change is being made to satisfy some idiot professor who was able to convince equally idiot students that somehow "Indians"is offensive. Many cities are proud of being connected with their sports teams and derive a certain amount of civic pride from those teams. Bragging rights, fun conversations going back and forth with other cities etc. (Obviously, this is not something someone like you would understand.) Try changing the name of the Dallas Cowboys (hey, they fought the Indians, were cruel to animals with branding and rodeos.) How about the New York Yankees (everyone south of the Mason Dixon line could be offended by that name.)

Other than the Washington Redskins, I've yet to hear a sports name that could be considered offensive……except to people like you.

And as far as……sing a song and they can’t shut up. This says all anyone needs to know about you and how clueless you are.

Pay attention here……it's not the song that infuriates anyone. It's a fairly nice and peaceful song. Sing it, or anything,, all you want.

It is elevating this song or ANY SONG to a position of being equal to that of the American national anthem (that's The Star Spangled Banner in case you are unaware of it). This is (or should be) unacceptable to any American, black or white) who has any shred of pride in the country he or she lives in.

Hope this helps. I doubt it will but one can hope.
    You have asked how many people from the Indian subcontinent, which is 9000+ miles from Cleveland whether it bothers them? It's just a friendly, tiny, small reminder that Native Americans are not Indians. Native Americans are people who have populated the continent of North America for about 20,000 years. Indians are people from the subcontinent of India that sits connected to the continent of Asia. The people in no way, shape, or form share a common ancestry, history, or genealogy...
    Let's get embedded tweets working again!

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...5#post33780085

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    He definitely was a controversial person. He wanted very much for minorities to start their own businesses and run them so they could get the "black" economy back. He was not being racist when he said this, as he realized they would have to partner with many white-owned businesses to get everything going.
    As Buck O'Neil said, when asked about life in the Black Leagues, "We had the best accommodations in most cities, they just happened to be owned by blacks". Blacks owned hotels, restaurants, clubs, bars, and most of the Black League teams were owned by blacks.
    I digress. MLK wanted people to "do for themselves" and believed in free enterprise. Lots of whites at that time (and one can argue this trend still continues today) felt that blacks were getting "uppity" when they wanted to start businesses. It has proven to be an incorrect feeling.
    I think people will remember King more, by a large margin historically, for fighting institutional racism that was a big problem for "people doing for themselves". Before his death, he was shifting to making sure those who are doing for themselves are paid better for their work.

His greatest speech "I Have a Dream" not "I Made the Big Bucks On My Own"

I hope to hell and back his life isn't dilute to some "Self-help" mantra that the republican talking heads are pushing. Not saying that is where you got this, but that is where I heard it decades ago.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    You have asked how many people from the Indian subcontinent, which is 9000+ miles from Cleveland whether it bothers them? It's just a friendly, tiny, small reminder that Native Americans are not Indians. Native Americans are people who have populated the continent of North America for about 20,000 years. Indians are people from the subcontinent of India that sits connected to the continent of Asia. The people in no way, shape, or form share a common ancestry, history, or genealogy...
    And my answer to that is………so what. Much ado about nothing.

And for the record…… a "Native American" is someone who was born here……like me.

MLK wasn't a conservative capitalist spewing the virtues of venture capitalism. He was for knocking down roadblocks that stop or degrade people's ability to do for themselves.

What a screwy slant on MLK civil rights movement soon to be known as the MLK pull yourself by your own bootstrap movement. The way you are talking, he would have been a contributor on "Bloomberg Report." I would be ticked, but republican talking heads have pushed that Christ is a conservative.

Any more historical revisions the republicans want to put in our school history books?
    Last edited by WES445; 07-26-2021 at 10:35 AM.
    There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    And my answer to that is………so what. Much ado about nothing.

And for the record…… a "Native American" is someone who was born here……like me.
    It is entirely relevant since the team name is Indians and you said it doesn't bother real Indians. Well the fact that you think real Indians are Native Americans is sort of the problem.

But is he now ... you know, when people are being taught about him?

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that right as they rail against critical race theory they try to rollback requirements to teach about these subjects.
    Yeah, and they are rolling back a requirement that doesn't exist yet. I wonder how many states have required lists like that already in place?

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that right as they rail against critical race theory they try to rollback requirements to teach about these subjects.
    Come on and get with the spirit of "Making America Great Again". I am sure Candace Owens can teach the virtues of Jim Crow to the youngsters. Our kids can learn about how slaves "enlisted" to fight for the Confederate and the state's rights to own them. Life was good then.

Wish I was in the land of "the old" Dixie.

Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    But is he now ... you know, when people are being taught about him?
    He isn't controversial but many of the ideas he stood for are 100% controversial. I mean hell if he and his ideas were so uncontroversial, then why don't we have the full protection of the Voting Right Act anymore? Just in the last 15 years it has gone from entirely uncontroversial in 2006 to unacceptable by one party today. It was reauthorized in 2006 by a vote of 98-0 in the Senate. Now we have one party that is taking advantage of it's weakening to pass the very kinds of laws that Dr. King and other activists fought against.

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast