Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2021 Trade Deadline

Not even sure if anyone comes around these parts anymore, but what do you all think we'll do at the deadline this year?

Barring a rash of major injuries, we'll most likely be buyers or at least a team who stands pat.

The offense seems like the obvious need on paper, but it's also a bit of a weird fit all around too. OF probably isn't a fit. Yeli and Avi have every day spots pretty locked in it seems. And given the money we're paying JBJ and Cain, I'd imagine we'll be hoping at least one of the two bounces back.

IF is kind of weird too. Wong has 2nd locked down. Adames seems to have short locked down. Urias has been playing pretty decent baseball lately, especially at the plate. So he seems to have a hold of 3B for now. I suppose we could upgrade at 3B and have urias be a super utility guy. 1st is weird. It's way to early to say hiura is back, but there's no where else to play him, so I'm not sure we are looking for an upgrade there. If hiura struggles over the next month, a 1B makes sense, but if he's even decent, I'm not sure we go with a 1B. Jace has been decent in the utility role lately. But I suppose a small move for a different utility IF and pinch hitter could happen if we think shaw is going to struggle.

The SP group is really good. Could possibly use another, but it's hard to see us make a big move for a SP without an injury to one of our big 3. Maybe an innings eater #4/5 type, but that's probably it.

RP is probably a target. Virtually every contender can use RP every year. The adames trade is a trade I'd make 10 times out of 10, but it has left our bullpen a bit thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Not even sure if anyone comes around these parts anymore, but what do you all think we'll do at the deadline this year?

Barring a rash of major injuries, we'll most likely be buyers or at least a team who stands pat.

The offense seems like the obvious need on paper, but it's also a bit of a weird fit all around too. OF probably isn't a fit. Yeli and Avi have every day spots pretty locked in it seems. And given the money we're paying JBJ and Cain, I'd imagine we'll be hoping at least one of the two bounces back.

IF is kind of weird too. Wong has 2nd locked down. Adames seems to have short locked down. Urias has been playing pretty decent baseball lately, especially at the plate. So he seems to have a hold of 3B for now. I suppose we could upgrade at 3B and have urias be a super utility guy. 1st is weird. It's way to early to say hiura is back, but there's no where else to play him, so I'm not sure we are looking for an upgrade there. If hiura struggles over the next month, a 1B makes sense, but if he's even decent, I'm not sure we go with a 1B. Jace has been decent in the utility role lately. But I suppose a small move for a different utility IF and pinch hitter could happen if we think shaw is going to struggle.

The SP group is really good. Could possibly use another, but it's hard to see us make a big move for a SP without an injury to one of our big 3. Maybe an innings eater #4/5 type, but that's probably it.

RP is probably a target. Virtually every contender can use RP every year. The adames trade is a trade I'd make 10 times out of 10, but it has left our bullpen a bit thinner.
    I just focused on the Bucks lol. I will come here a little bit now lol.

Right now I think the clear need is in the pen. Need a nasty lefty or high leverage lefty. Perdomo not trustworthy...not sure who is available in that regard. Hand? But not sure as far as 7th inning types. I think could use just another arm in the pen too. Maybe Rodriguez from PIT? Or Soria from ARZ again to MKE?

I think a 3B would be a good get or maybe just trade to get Aggy back at 1B...not sure Tellez, Vogelbach or broken Hiura can be put out there consistently. Not sure the market for 3B...Mancini could be an option because he can play 3B/1b...Donaldson if MIN pays for some of his contract?

They would have to eat a crazy amount of that contract. And possibly take back Jackie Bradley Jr or Cain as well. That deal is just so bad for Minn. Donaldson is a good player, but I'm not sure who's going to want to take back as a 35 year old dude who's owed $21 mill each of the next two seasons and has an $8 mill buyout of a $16 mill deal after that. Even if the NL adopts a DH, it's hard to see JD being a good enough hitter to warrant anything close to that.

The upside is if we did deal for him, even if Minn ate a bunch of money, I can't imagine it costs much from a prospect perspective. I could see someone like Ray, as almost a save face for Minn to say they got a former top 5 pick and then a lower level wild card or two.

Decent deadline. Sounds like we might have been in on some of the bigger names at least, especially with Stearns comments. It almost sounds like we tried to get in on Scherzer, which is interesting.

If we add Rowdy and Adames into our deadline haul, we did really well. But just looking at the last few days, we got some good players. And we didn't give up a ton. Hummel can hit but doesn't really have a position. The other dude in that deal is a wild card. He could bite us or he's a guy who may never get past A ball, so it's a worthy gamble. And Escobar fits. He's not perfect, but he deepens that lineup and when he's hot he can be a really good hitter.

The bullpen guys aren't the sexiest names and another high end guy would have made for a Royals-esque pen the year they won, but we have some really high end guys already and adding middle arms just adds depth to protect against struggles and injuries. And they didn't seem to cost an arm and a leg.

For a team that could potentially win now without a great farm, it was a very good trade season. And while rowdy and Adames cost some decent pen arms, we dipped into an area of strength to help the team and still havr basically all of our top guys in the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Decent deadline. Sounds like we might have been in on some of the bigger names at least, especially with Stearns comments. It almost sounds like we tried to get in on Scherzer, which is interesting.

If we add Rowdy and Adames into our deadline haul, we did really well. But just looking at the last few days, we got some good players. And we didn't give up a ton. Hummel can hit but doesn't really have a position. The other dude in that deal is a wild card. He could bite us or he's a guy who may never get past A ball, so it's a worthy gamble. And Escobar fits. He's not perfect, but he deepens that lineup and when he's hot he can be a really good hitter.

The bullpen guys aren't the sexiest names and another high end guy would have made for a Royals-esque pen the year they won, but we have some really high end guys already and adding middle arms just adds depth to protect against struggles and injuries. And they didn't seem to cost an arm and a leg.

For a team that could potentially win now without a great farm, it was a very good trade season. And while rowdy and Adames cost some decent pen arms, we dipped into an area of strength to help the team and still havr basically all of our top guys in the farm.
    Loved the move for Escobar as basically gave up nada for a middle of the order bat who is versatile defensively. Escobar/Adames acquisitions have been/will be massive. Probably gave up highest upside guy for Norris who arguably the most meh acquisition.