Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What do the Cubs do for the Trade Deadline?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy, buy, buy! Get help and win another division crown

0 0%
  • Sell, sell, sell! Firesale and get prospects to build the 2023 or 2024 Cubs

10 100.00%
Page 4 of 209 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    delete

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    The Detroit Tigers are on the same path as the Phillies right now. Full tanks don't work right now in this landscape. Sure, just because "it didn't work for others" doesn't necessarily work for us, but you can flip this around "It worked for the Cubs so it might work for us!" said both the Phillies and the Tigers. And "It worked last time!" said the 2025 Cubs...

I'm not sure they need to "pick a lane". Frankly...I think picking the lane of "tear it down and rebuild" is asking for a disaster. Instead, the Cubs should likely do something more two-pronged. Rebuild the MLB roster for 2022 by spending, keep the prospects, spend in IFA every chance you get, and continue to put resources into drafting and scouting.
    Correct me if iím wrong, and iím not arguing here, just talking ó but i feel like the tigers did what iím HOPING the cubs donít do right now. They let guys walk that wouldíve gotten good returns & then they traded guys too late. They had assets and blew it.

But what iím really excited about is that we have WAY better chips than theo did when he came in here. Thereís some hot races going on right now, thereís a huge post covid excitement built in there as well! I think thereís the potential to get some HUGE returns if hoyer goes for it.

Bryant and Kimbrel for Spencer Howard and Alec Bohm? Something along those lines? The Phillies' bullpen is abysmal, and based on last night's broadcast, they are a bit down on Bohm. The Phillies would be going all in on 2021, but with Wheeler and Nola, perhaps they could. Bryant and Harper re-united for a stretch run? I am spit-balling.
    Romans 12:21

Quote Originally Posted by dannynoonan View Post
    Correct me if iím wrong, and iím not arguing here, just talking ó but i feel like the tigers did what iím HOPING the cubs donít do right now. They let guys walk that wouldíve gotten good returns & then they traded guys too late. They had assets and blew it.

But what iím really excited about is that we have WAY better chips than theo did when he came in here. Thereís some hot races going on right now, thereís a huge post covid excitement built in there as well! I think thereís the potential to get some HUGE returns if hoyer goes for it.
    The Tigers started sucking in 2016. They traded Castellanos and Martinez for garbage returns, traded Verlander, Victor Martinez was not traded but he was 37, the return was never going be kept.

The Tigers didn't do that.

I'm also sorry to warn you this; but if you expect some huge returns this deadline you are almost assuredly unlikely to get them. While I think Kimbrel will return a nice prospect, I doubt any other single player they're realistically going to trade (Hendricks or Contreras would perhaps return more, but I don't think they'll be moved) returns anyone in the top-100. Deadline deals for big prospects are a thing in the past. The best player the Tigers received for Martinez was the same Alcantara they DFA'd and we demoted to AAA. The other two prospects they got are hugely awful. Martinez was easily the best bat available. And this is not an isolated incident. The Cubs got Castellanos for basically free, Machado barely got a top-100 prospect and he had more value than Bryant. Not being a jerk, but really think; when is the last time a rental hitter brought back an impressive return? Rental hitters don't return much right now and that's what the Cubs have in spades. The Cubs just aren't going to get monster returns. It will almost all be very young players in the very low levels. Players with upside but so much time to marinate that there's little knowledge of how they'll develop. Lotto tickets.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-06-2021 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyD3 View Post
    Bryant and Kimbrel for Spencer Howard and Alec Bohm? Something along those lines? The Phillies' bullpen is abysmal, and based on last night's broadcast, they are a bit down on Bohm. The Phillies would be going all in on 2021, but with Wheeler and Nola, perhaps they could. Bryant and Harper re-united for a stretch run? I am spit-balling.
    Yeah, that's not happening. The Phillies would laugh the Cubs off the phone. Kimbrel alone doesn't have the power to pull Howard. Bryant certainly can't pull Bohm. No matter if Bohm is struggling or now, he's a very attractive long term asset. Bryant is a rental player. Rentals don't get returns.

You're probably looking at something like Mick Abel + another decent prospect for Kimbrel, as he's the only prospect the Cubs should be really looking for from the Phillies. But he's 19 and their first round pick from last year. He's a player the Cubs skipped on last year, as well. I'm not sure it's the deal they'd take...I'm not sure the Phillies have the want to make that trade, either.

It was stated today that the Astros and the A's are the teams most likely to get Kimbrel (For whatever reason). If we're looking at the A's, I'd guess Nick Allen, and maybe a high lotto ticket like...Buelvas or Pineda.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-06-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Yeah, that's not happening. The Phillies would laugh the Cubs off the phone. Kimbrel alone doesn't have the power to pull Howard. Bryant certainly can't pull Bohm. No matter if Bohm is struggling or now, he's a very attractive long term asset. Bryant is a rental player. Rentals don't get returns.
    Howard has lost a little of his luster, to the point that they have discussed his future as a pen arm. Buy low for a year and a half of Kimbrel? The Bryant rental for Bohm is admittedly a longshot, but how much pull does Harper have to get his friend there? I am throwing out conversation items, that is all. On another note, how is everyone feeling about wanting Arietta instead of Darvish when the Cubs were shopping? What in the world was Jed thinking when he signed Jake this offseason? Why were we not in on Rodon and Walker? That is the path that the Cubs usually take. How different might this season look if Jed would have gone with pedigree instead of old memories?

Howard has lost a little of his luster, to the point that they have discussed his future as a pen arm. Buy low for a year and a half of Kimbrel? The Bryant rental for Bohm is admittedly a longshot, but how much pull does Harper have to get his friend there? I am throwing out conversation items, that is all. On another note, how is everyone feeling about wanting Arietta instead of Darvish when the Cubs were shopping? What in the world was Jed thinking when he signed Jake this offseason? Why were we not in on Rodon and Walker? That is the path that the Cubs usually take. How different might this season look if Jed would have gone with pedigree instead of old memories?
    There's just no way that's happening. Howard's still a top-50 prospect with great stuff. The Phillies are shipping that off for a Kimbrel in this season. Harper doesn't have any pull; he's not the GM. He's signed for 13 years. The Phillies will do what they want. I know you're being optimistic. Which is always fun, no harm. But I think you're well off, too.

I think a more realistic trade would be with Oakland. They were mentioned as a team to watch there, and I think Nick Allen and some sort of IFA lotto ticket under 20 with big upside like Pineda or Buelvas makes sense. The Cubs have targeted these types; Allen has strong bat to ball and is a wonderful defensive player. He's showing some increased power recently (.140 ISO last two showings). I think he's a potential 3+ fWAR player, and if he can find 10 home runs in the MLB, he could be Whit Merrifield-y. Add a lotto ticket with big upside, maybe a third piece (flawed but somewhat interesting older prospect).

There's just no way that's happening. Howard's still a top-50 prospect with great stuff. The Phillies are shipping that off for a Kimbrel in this season. Harper doesn't have any pull; he's not the GM. He's signed for 13 years. The Phillies will do what they want. I know you're being optimistic. Which is always fun, no harm. But I think you're well off, too.

I think a more realistic trade would be with Oakland. They were mentioned as a team to watch there, and I think Nick Allen and some sort of IFA lotto ticket under 20 with big upside like Pineda or Buelvas makes sense. The Cubs have targeted these types; Allen has strong bat to ball and is a wonderful defensive player. He's showing some increased power recently (.140 ISO last two showings). I think he's a potential 3+ fWAR player, and if he can find 10 home runs in the MLB, he could be Whit Merrifield-y. Add a lotto ticket with big upside, maybe a third piece (flawed but somewhat interesting older prospect).
    Great take and good insight. I am running with your ideas.

Great take and good insight. I am running with your ideas.
    I'm just guessing myself here based on the past. If the As are in, it's either gotta be Allen or Soderstom, I think. Allen isn't a typical guy: he's 5"8 and be defensive first. But the Cubs love bat to ball and defense up the middle, so it's just a guess (Soderstrom was on the board last year and the Cubs went Howard). Soderstrom is also super young. So if piece 2 is going to be IFA lottery type, probably the 22 year old Allen makes more sense?

They may not like Allen or the As offer at all. I could be too light; Allen probably isn't a star; more solidly good. Maybe the upside isn't enough. It's hard to tell.

****, I could be way off haha. I probably am.
    Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I'm just guessing myself here based on the past. If the As are in, it's either gotta be Allen or Soderstom, I think. Allen isn't a typical guy: he's 5"8 and be defensive first. But the Cubs love bat to ball and defense up the middle, so it's just a guess (Soderstrom was on the board last year and the Cubs went Howard). Soderstrom is also super young. So if piece 2 is going to be IFA lottery type, probably the 22 year old Allen makes more sense?

They may not like Allen or the As offer at all. I could be too light; Allen probably isn't a star; more solidly good. Maybe the upside isn't enough. It's hard to tell.

****, I could be way off haha. I probably am.
    What about Puk? If the Cubs can get is control under wraps, he could be something special. No?

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    What about Puk? If the Cubs can get is control under wraps, he could be something special. No?
    Hes 26. Arm injuries. Control issues. If I'm the Cubs im not prioritizing that. If I'm the As I'm not sure I'm giving him away. It seems like the two would probably have a different trade value on him.

I don't think he matches up unless he's a 3rd piece (the flawed but some upside older prospect). But he's too valuable for that.

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-06-2021 at 09:41 PM.

I'm not sure they need to "pick a lane". Frankly...I think picking the lane of "tear it down and rebuild" is asking for a disaster. Instead, the Cubs should likely do something more two-pronged. Rebuild the MLB roster for 2022 by spending, keep the prospects, spend in IFA every chance you get, and continue to put resources into drafting and scouting.
    All I know is the Cubs cannot go into 2022 with the some core of players. If they want to do the "two pronged" plan, then you are asking Ricketts to spend. I know you think he will but I am not convinced. And if he does, it certainly won't be on the type of players the Cubs need but more of players whose contract that aligns with Rickett's plan, ie Joc Pederson type.
    Screw sabermetics.

Hes 26. Arm injuries. Control issues. If I'm the Cubs im not prioritizing that. If I'm the As I'm not sure I'm giving him away. It seems like the two would probably have a different trade value on him.

I don't think he matches up unless he's a 3rd piece (the flawed but some upside older prospect). But he's too valuable for that.

Fair enough. Thanks teach!

Bad news for the Cubs right now for selling; while they have attractive options, the NL is full of teams looking to unload players. Buster Olney put up a piece on ESPN+, while short in new information, made a compelling argument that returns may be light with teams having multiple avenues.

Just another red flag that this return may not be what some expect.

Bad news for the Cubs right now for selling; while they have attractive options, the NL is full of teams looking to unload players. Buster Olney put up a piece on ESPN+, while short in new information, made a compelling argument that returns may be light with teams having multiple avenues.

Just another red flag that this return may not be what some expect.

You think it changes much on our end? I mean Kimbrel was always going to be the crown jewel and there isnít another Kimbrel that will be available. I really believe somebody will pay up for him. Other than him you have KB and I donít think anybody expected much for him anyways. If anything it probably means if we were considering moving Contreras and or Hendricks, we should probably just wait.

Page 4 of 209 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast