Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What do the Cubs do for the Trade Deadline?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy, buy, buy! Get help and win another division crown

0 0%
  • Sell, sell, sell! Firesale and get prospects to build the 2023 or 2024 Cubs

10 100.00%
Page 3 of 209 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Im not saying give Hendricks away, and i think Contreras is staying and will be extended..

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    I'm not saying giving him away either. But it's probably likely that the prospects the Cubs get back will not be MLB ready 2022. If you trade Hendricks, you can essentially kiss 2022 goodbye. The Cubs have no readily available back up plans. You'll spend more than $14m to replace his production on the market. 2022 is done.

I don't have an inkling on Conteras. The Cubs system has a ton of C depth. Amaya may be ready by 2023. I am not entirely sure Contreras long term is a super great idea. Hes closing in on 30. Catchers past 30 tend to fall off. The Cubs know this as well. At this point there has been little rumor they're going to extend him. I'm not saying either way which they'll go...but considering the Cubs shopped him in the winter...him staying is no guarantee.

On top you may as well couple the futures of Hendricks and Contreras together. If you're saying goodbye to 2022, then both need to go. Not one or the other. If we are going to talk a Hendricks trade...a Contreras trade is almost a must then. There's little reason to extend a catcher into his mid 30s when you're not shooting for wins.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-06-2021 at 05:03 PM.

https://twitter.com/buster_espn/stat...503608834?s=21

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

They mentioned on the Cubs broadcast last night that the Phillies havenít had a record above .500 since their playoff streak ended in 2011.

Just something to keep in mind. Thatís a big market team that tanked and has now has a decade of losing records. Thereís a pretty good chance they end under .500 again this year too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post

Makes sense. We have seen how important the back end of the bullpen is in the playoffs. He should net a solid return.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    They mentioned on the Cubs broadcast last night that the Phillies havenít had a record above .500 since their playoff streak ended in 2011.

Just something to keep in mind. Thatís a big market team that tanked and has now has a decade of losing records. Thereís a pretty good chance they end under .500 again this year too.
    So, you're saying the Cubs are stuck? Can't keep moving forward with this core of players but trying to reset a franchise may set the franchise back a while? ******* me. With that said, the Cubs need to pick a lane. Just because the Phillies has had incompetency in the FO to keep them under .500 for a decade does not mean the Cubs will follow that same path.

Pick a path, Cubs.
    Screw sabermetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Dfan25 View Post

Yes, and his pending 2022 option is also a positive in getting back a solid return.

But would I expect a solid return for Kimbrel? Not so sure about it.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

We have a ton of guys we can trade, a ton of guys going to FA. Zach Davies will also get some interest, and I assume Joc too. Arrieta not so much lol.

If we decide to give up then just trade everybody who is going to be a FA and tank the rest of the season. If we can't find takers we could literally just give guys away if we wanted. Bye Chafin, hello Kohl Stewart.

Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Gonna miss these guys when their all on different teams in August. The KB-Baez-Rizzo era was extremely fun.
    For me the fun ended around the 2018 all-star break. I'm VERY looking to some new players and stop beating this dead horse.

2021 MLB Season FA/Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post
    So, you're saying the Cubs are stuck? Can't keep moving forward with this core of players but trying to reset a franchise may set the franchise back a while? ******* me. With that said, the Cubs need to pick a lane. Just because the Phillies has had incompetency in the FO to keep them under .500 for a decade does not mean the Cubs will follow that same path.

Pick a path, Cubs.
    Iím saying that a lot of cubs fans think if they commit to tanking itíll go as well as it did last time and theyíll open a new window of 90+ win seasons after a couple down years. I donít think thatís likely.

They need to pick a path, but the path should not be to intentionally suck for multiple years. Decide on if you can compete in 2022 or if you need until 2023 and sell what you need to sell but then buy what you need to buy to open that next window very quickly. They donít need to keep the current players, but multiple years of 60-70 wins isnít the path Iíd pick.
    Last edited by CP_414; 07-06-2021 at 06:01 PM.

Iím saying that a lot of cubs fans think if they commit to tanking itíll go as well as it did last time and theyíll open a new window of 90+ win seasons after a couple down years. I donít think thatís likely.

They need to pick a path, but the path should not be to intentionally suck for multiple years. Decide on if you can compete in 2022 or if you need until 2023 and sell what you need to sell but then buy what you need to buy to open that next window very quickly. They donít need to keep the current players, but multiple years of 60-70 wins isnít the path Iíd pick.
    I agree with you. They definitely need to pick a path. I'd still be looking to sell every expiring contract right now though. Kimbrel is a guy id be shopping hard too but they dont have to deal him.

The positive is is that Jed basically will have a blank slate to work with and build his own team with the amount of cap space they have.

I wonder if Hoyer would move Hendricks if any contenders that could use a 3 or 4 starter gives him a call?
    Why i wonder is mostly due to the cubs not really having much depth in starting pitching to finish out the season

I don't see them trading Hendricks. It hurts 2022 but also 2023 and 2024. You just don't find top of the rotation starters every day, especially for cheap. They have a ton of other guys to worry about trading before the deadline before him, Hoyer will be very busy.

Im not saying give Hendricks away, and i think Contreras is staying and will be extended..
    They also have Amaya, who might be ready just in time for when Willson leaves. Honestly I'd just go with Amaya and save a ton of money to spend at another position. ie: Conteras money could nab a decent starting pitcher.

Cubs should resign Bryant, he can shift to the OF in a few years if we have too many young SS prospects so one can play 3B, go resign Rizzo or sign Freeman or whatever, sign one of these upcoming FA shortstops until Ed Howard or Christian Hernandez etc are ready, spend the rest of the money on an ace FA starting pitcher plus another good starter. Davis will be ready for CF in a couple of years, i'm ok with a Happ platoon until then, CF is a weak position league-wide. Nico at 2B, Amaya catching. Anything Marquez gives us is a bonus.

If they tank the rest of this year they could nab some decent picks. That means ideally starting to trade guys sooner rather than last several days before deadline

Next, one option would be to tank next year also and go full steam into 2023 with Amaya, Davis, Marquez ready to contribute. That would mean trading Contreras, maybe this offseason. I'd keep Hendricks unless we got something really good for him. We got some decent prospects for Darvish but nothing spectacular.

The other option is to rebuild quickly starting this offseason by spending in FA. That means probably keeping Contreras in 2022, it might be hard to trade Contreras in the middle of 2022 if we're competing. Trading him this offseason means we have no catcher.

Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    I agree with you. They definitely need to pick a path. I'd still be looking to sell every expiring contract right now though. Kimbrel is a guy id be shopping hard too but they dont have to deal him.

The positive is is that Jed basically will have a blank slate to work with and build his own team with the amount of cap space they have.
    I see or hope to see Hoyer adding pieces over the next 2 years that will hopefully blend in with the prospects when they start getting called up

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefire View Post

Pick a path, Cubs.
    The Detroit Tigers are on the same path as the Phillies right now. Full tanks don't work right now in this landscape. Sure, just because "it didn't work for others" doesn't necessarily work for us, but you can flip this around "It worked for the Cubs so it might work for us!" said both the Phillies and the Tigers. And "It worked last time!" said the 2025 Cubs...

I'm not sure they need to "pick a lane". Frankly...I think picking the lane of "tear it down and rebuild" is asking for a disaster. Instead, the Cubs should likely do something more two-pronged. Rebuild the MLB roster for 2022 by spending, keep the prospects, spend in IFA every chance you get, and continue to put resources into drafting and scouting.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    The Detroit Tigers are on the same path as the Phillies right now. Full tanks don't work right now in this landscape. Sure, just because "it didn't work for others" doesn't necessarily work for us, but you can flip this around "It worked for the Cubs so it might work for us!" said both the Phillies and the Tigers. And "It worked last time!" said the 2025 Cubs...

I'm not sure they need to "pick a lane". Frankly...I think picking the lane of "tear it down and rebuild" is asking for a disaster. Instead, the Cubs should likely do something more two-pronged. Rebuild the MLB roster for 2022 by spending, keep the prospects, spend in IFA every chance you get, and continue to put resources into drafting and scouting.
    Lots of franchises suck every year but don't draft well or develop well. The Pirates should be loaded every year with top young talent but they just aren't. Just like how some teams with a lot of money can build a good team and others, like the Mets, spend it poorly.

Tanking is a big risk, not every top prospect will pan out, but also can nab big reward if they do. Hard to know if you'll draft a Bryant or an Almora. If you draft a bad player that doesn't pan out you waste a full year from tanking, but if you draft well or have a talented draft class it can be a huge win.

Page 3 of 209 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast