Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What do the Cubs do for the Trade Deadline?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy, buy, buy! Get help and win another division crown

0 0%
  • Sell, sell, sell! Firesale and get prospects to build the 2023 or 2024 Cubs

11 100.00%
Page 163 of 218 FirstFirst ... 63113153161162163164165173213 ... LastLast
Results 2,431 to 2,445 of 3256
    Quote Originally Posted by huff View Post
    So we taking bets on a Happ DFA in the off-season? With the Ortega emergence ? Could spend that 5m on something else, Happ has been awful more than not
    I don't think i'd DFA Happ. He's usually an .850 OPS guy with decent OF defense. Cubs DFA'd Schwarber when he was doing badly and he bounced back well and Nats got a decent prospect for him at the deadline. Happ has struggled more often than Schwarber did but still. He's 26 and stays healthy, his slump isn't a physical/talent issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    I don't think i'd DFA Happ. He's usually an .850 OPS guy with decent OF defense. Cubs DFA'd Schwarber when he was doing badly and he bounced back well and Nats got a decent prospect for him at the deadline. Happ has struggled more often than Schwarber did but still. He's 26 and stays healthy, his slump isn't a physical/talent issue.
    No. Happ is usually the guy you see right now. What has made his season ending line look good is that his sample sizes were small and he would have that 1 week where he would see BP pitches and send 8 of them over the fence. All of a sudden the year that sent him down to the minors turned into a year where he looked like a quality starting caliber player.

I've been done with Happ for years. He's just complete trash for the overwhelming majority of his playing time. If he has to be on the team next year then I don't want to see him be any more than a 5th OF.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    No. Happ is usually the guy you see right now. What has made his season ending line look good is that his sample sizes were small and he would have that 1 week where he would see BP pitches and send 8 of them over the fence. All of a sudden the year that sent him down to the minors turned into a year where he looked like a quality starting caliber player.

I've been done with Happ for years. He's just complete trash for the overwhelming majority of his playing time. If he has to be on the team next year then I don't want to see him be any more than a 5th OF.
    False:

Last year he was great in July and August, and awful to end the season.

In 2019 he was bad in July, good in August, and amazing in Sept.

In 2018 he was bad in April, fabulous in May, good in June, great in July, miserable in August, and good in September.

You're just demonstrably wrong.

So we taking bets on a Happ DFA in the off-season? With the Ortega emergence ? Could spend that 5m on something else, Happ has been awful more than not
    You wanna DFA Happ for a guy who is older, having his first ever not awful season, and that season is worse than basically ever season Happ has ever had before now?

Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    False:

Last year he was great in July and August, and awful to end the season.

In 2019 he was bad in July, good in August, and amazing in Sept.

In 2018 he was bad in April, fabulous in May, good in June, great in July, miserable in August, and good in September.

You're just demonstrably wrong.
    I've had this discussion with many people over the years and its the same tired ****.

Ian Happ hasnt had regular playing time since his rookie year. His entire career is cherry picked because he is an absolute useless hitter in the majority of the strikezone.

If you want to sit there and pretend he's a good player because of a small sample size that is influenced by a couple games then by all means, but there's a reason why a guy that has been so "great" has been a platoon player and sent to the minors multiple times. He was so broken at one point he literally stopped swinging. It was like watching a pitcher hoping for a walk.
    Last edited by cuzi; 08-01-2021 at 01:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    I've had this discussion with many people over the years and its the same tired ****.

Ian Happ hasnt had regular playing time since his rookie year. His entire career is cherry picked because he is an absolute useless hitter in the majority of the strikezone.

If you want to sit there and pretend he's a good player because of a small sample size that is influenced by a couple games then by all means, but there's a reason why a guy that has been so "great" has been a platoon player and sent to the minors multiple times. He was so broken at one point he literally stopped swinging. It was like watching a pitcher hoping for a walk.
    He lost his playing time in CF this season to Raphael Ortega, who has spent the majority of the last 8 seasons playing in AAA..

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post

From a MLB.com article about Deadline Winners/Losers.

Basically stating what many in here have said for the upcoming 2022 season: restock the farm and then sign FAs
    https://twitter.com/M_Montemurro/sta...455846401?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    You wanna DFA Happ for a guy who is older, having his first ever not awful season, and that season is worse than basically ever season Happ has ever had before now?
    I remember you being better at reading comprehension but we are all getting older so maybe you, like me, are slipping a bit. I don’t want him DFA’d FOR Ortega just spend his 5m elsewhere and if Ortega is useful moving forward then cool. That’s why the question marks. Always enjoy your posts tho doog

Anyone think Jordan Wicks will kick butt in AZL & then spend the off season in the lab? Additonally should he start in A+ next year with the idea to move quickly into AA & then a Sep 2022 call-up?

Quote Originally Posted by chicagofan08 View Post
    I read that like next year will be a half *** effort in free agency and a development year for the farm which disappoints me. I guess we will see what he does but with this free agent class and the Cubs deep pockets they should be in on any and every thing.

Anyone think Jordan Wicks will kick butt in AZL & then spend the off season in the lab? Additonally should he start in A+ next year with the idea to move quickly into AA & then a Sep 2022 call-up?
    I think he could immediately be sent to AA.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I think he starts in AA next year. Could see the bigs in sept especially if it’s just a lost year from the front office

I read that like next year will be a half *** effort in free agency and a development year for the farm which disappoints me. I guess we will see what he does but with this free agent class and the Cubs deep pockets they should be in on any and every thing.
    I think you're reading into that more than is there. There isn't anything there that suggests that, feels like you're bringing baggage on how you feel about Tom (which, I get, the Ricketts suck) into those words. There's really nothing there.

The Cubs ate a bunch of money at the deadline and got a 3-4 players back who could make the 2022 Cubs roster by June. You don't do that if you're half-assing it, IMO. If your definition of "half-assing" is putting out an 80-84 win team, then perhaps they will. But I expect a pitching strong (especially bullpen), offensively weak (but high contact oriented) roster next year that plays a lot of close games.

I think they will spend $100m or so this year. Basically to get even to this year's budget they have to; and they have a lot of roster spots to fill. I don't think this will be a half-*** tank offseason. Hoyer has made multiple comments this isn't 2012, that expectations are raised and then backed it up acquiring 2022 talent. I think we just have to have a little faith in a creative offseason and that there is a plan here the Cubs are working through. But I think there are enough tea leaves to suggest the 2022 Cubs don't plan on sucking. They won't be the Dodgers or the Padres, a juggernaut of a team. But I expect a team that plays a lot of close, mainly low scoring games, with some potential to bring up impact talent (Davis, Marquez?) mid year and to potentially make additions at the deadline to be even better if they can tread water at .500 or around there prior to July 31st.

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 08-01-2021 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I think you're reading into that more than is there. There isn't anything there that suggests that, feels like you're bringing baggage on how you feel about Tom (which, I get, the Ricketts suck) into those words. There's really nothing there.

The Cubs ate a bunch of money at the deadline and got a 3-4 players back who could make the 2022 Cubs roster by June. You don't do that if you're half-assing it, IMO. If your definition of "half-assing" is putting out an 80-84 win team, then perhaps they will. But I expect a pitching strong (especially bullpen), offensively weak (but high contact oriented) roster next year that plays a lot of close games.

I think they will spend $100m or so this year. Basically to get even to this year's budget they have to; and they have a lot of roster spots to fill. I don't think this will be a half-*** tank offseason. Hoyer has made multiple comments this isn't 2012, that expectations are raised and then backed it up acquiring 2022 talent. I think we just have to have a little faith in a creative offseason and that there is a plan here the Cubs are working through.

I define half-*** as signing a couple of back end one year show me deals and believing Hoerner in the answer at SS. The article states he has no idea what he’s going to do and dropped the “I care about championships” comment, that’s the one that raises an eyebrow. In GM speak that’s “well we need to develop these guys for the big leagues and not just buy free agents because we don’t want to block our next great core , especially Davis” blah blah. I hope I am wrong and ask my wife I do that often but just doesn’t sound like he’s gonna be in on more than maybe one big name this off-season. Heyward is a milestone in RF. Hoyer should absolutely be in on Castellanos (especially with the DH being basically a given)and Correa/Seager . Also should be on Stroman and others. I guess we will see, I was hopeful we were gonna act like a big market team this off-season but after reading that article I could read some hedging there , maybe just my pessimism.

I define half-*** as signing a couple of back end one year show me deals and believing Hoerner in the answer at SS. The article states he has no idea what he’s going to do and dropped the “I care about championships” comment, that’s the one that raises an eyebrow. In GM speak that’s “well we need to develop these guys for the big leagues and not just buy free agents because we don’t want to block our next great core , especially Davis” blah blah. I hope I am wrong and ask my wife I do that often but just doesn’t sound like he’s gonna be in on more than maybe one big name this off-season. Heyward is a milestone in RF. Hoyer should absolutely be in on Castellanos (especially with the DH being basically a given)and Correa/Seager . Also should be on Stroman and others. I guess we will see, I was hopeful we were gonna act like a big market team this off-season but after reading that article I could read some hedging there , maybe just my pessimism.
    It feels like a lot of pessimism. I understand how the pessimism can creep in (Ricketts has made it easy), but I think it's largely unfounded right now. The team doesn't grab a 25 year old, a 26 year old and a 27 year old, as well as a SP who's ready for next year if they are going to sign a BORP and call it a day. It's a waste of trade resources. They'd have grabbed 21 year old prospects for Kimbrel.

I think you need to be a bit more patient and see how things play out. The team has signaled that 2022 won't be pathetic. There's little reason to doubt Hoyer there. Theo was always transparent; when they weren't spending they basically said so. It was fans and this forum who decided it was a smoke screen; it wasn't. Hoyer spent 10+ years in Chicago and countless more in Boston with Theo. I expect he is the same; he's made it clear this isn't 2012 again. I don't expect the Cubs to implement that plan you just laid out.

I suspect they'll get one "big" bat. I think it'll be a SS from the Correa/Seager/Story group. I don't think they'll go after Castellanos; the Cubs have been playing Alfonso Rivas in LF and I think based on his AAA he has absolutely earned a look in LF or 1b. I think they'll reunite with Rizzo on a 2 year deal (just a guess). I think Deichmann + platoon is your RF. A Dh will be a hitter, I think, more on a 1 year contract who can potentially swing to LF if Rivas just doesn't "do it". I don't think they'll use Heyward as a starter there. Whether it's Stroman, or Rodon, or Ray, or something else, I think they'll get 1 top-end SP to slot in with Hendricks. I think they'll buy a MORP. And I think the rotation will look like: Hendricks/FA/FA/Steele/Mills with Kilian stealing Mills or Steele's spot later. I think they'll grab a few bench bats (specifically a platoon RF partner with Deichmann). I think Hoerner takes CF with the belief that he moves into a "utility role" with Davis coming up later. And they'll build a very cheap bullpen from in house pieces, but don't confuse cheap with bad. That's my guess for now. It'll be a team very contact and OBP oriented with little power. But it'll be annoying enough to score some runs, it'll probably pitch well, and it'll have a BP that could be devestatingly good. Lots of close games.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 08-01-2021 at 10:27 AM.