Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What do the Cubs do for the Trade Deadline?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy, buy, buy! Get help and win another division crown

0 0%
  • Sell, sell, sell! Firesale and get prospects to build the 2023 or 2024 Cubs

10 100.00%
Page 159 of 209 FirstFirst ... 59109149157158159160161169 ... LastLast
Results 2,371 to 2,385 of 3129
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I get that the immediate response to today, and to this year is to say "there's no way they spend". I'm about the most anti-Tom Ricketts poster you'll find. I've laid considerable blame at his feet. I feel that's still acceptable and well earned. I want to start this post that way because I'm about to pull a swerve...

I think the Cubs will spend next year. I don't think they'll spend over the luxury tax. But entering this year, they had a payroll of $160m or so. They have $40m on the books next year and with arb numbers...around $55-$60m. The Cubs are back to full crowds. They're making money again. Worst case, we know they can do $160m so they'd have roughly $100m to spend. I think they may add a little on top. Corey Seager really feels like a "Cub buy" heading forward, but maybe it's Story or Correa, I don't know. I think they'll grab a SP. Two, probably. I think they will go cheap on the bench again, but they did a good job identifying cheap bench choices.

Why do I think that? Jed Hoyer isn't out of the loop here. Look at the trades today. Madrigal, Heuer, and Kilian are all supposed to be ready next year. That's 3 of the 6 players acquired. Add in Deichmann. That's 3 45 or better prospect acquired in the last few days designed to help as soon as next year (and Kilian who seems to be a highly undervalued prospect). On top, Ricketts ate a pretty decent amount of money these last few days to ensure these prospects got added to the system. He bought the Yankees and Mets returns. Hoyer, himself, weeks ago said this wasn't a 2012 situation. This wasn't today; this was before the deadline. And then...brought in four players who will impact next season.

I once believed this was going to be a slow, awful teardown. And these last few days...have been hard. Seeing Bryant cry was tough. But there's a path here, and the Cubs widened that path today, to make 2022 fun. I will say this probably 500 more times before opening day; but I do not expect a Dodger-like juggernaut. I think we'll see an Oakland/Milwaukee team next year; a team that is pitching strong, contact oriented offense and just good enough offensively. The Cubs will have the bullpen in house at this point to make this happen. They will have to buy some starters. But I think this was the plan for weeks; and I think they did what they wanted to. I do not believe this is going to be a long time. I think the plan is to force your way into being interesting by cornering pitching, and then letting the offense bubble up over the next few years.

I get that today was emotional. But I think taking emotions out...the Cubs did well and may have taken 2 steps back...but took 3 steps forward, too.
    Good post. Iím feeling this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    They're going to spend money but couldn't sign a 29-year old Bryant to an extension? Not buying it.
    It takes 2 to tango.

What they do this off season is anyone's guess. most likely worst case scenario is a mediocre 2022 where they don't spend much this off-season, maybe a SS and starter, then start going for it in 2023.

I don't think there's much of a chance to hit 200 mil payroll after this off-season, revenue wise they missed a couple of months of fans early this season due to covid and these days still only drawing about 30k fans a game at Wrigley.

They went up to about 145 mil this year, I think they hit 175 for next season if we're pretty lucky. Who knows.

Edit: 145 mil is post trades. 1908 I think it's right with 160 mil #.

Realistic targets in 2022?

2021 MLB Season FA/Trade Deadline Thread

I can't speak for what was offered either, but I agree with the last paragraph here. I think whatever KB signs is going to make a lot of us angry considering what we sold him for.

As far as spending money in the coming off-seasons, in the last calendar year we've dumped Darvish, Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez and received no immediate roster talent for them. And that all comes after all of the claims that the Cubs did not need to and were not going to go full gut and rebuild. It seems pretty clear to me where we're headed here.
    In the case of those players the cubs likely had a choice of low ceiling close to mlb players or higher ceiling further away players. Teams arenít trading top 100 prospects very often. Iím the Darvish deal, the cubs apparently had the choice of a guy like Weathers from SD or guys like Precaido and Caissie. I think they chose well taking the far away players.

They did prioritize mlb level talent from their best trade chip (Kimbrel). Thereís a chance the pitcher they got for Kb is in AAA very soon. They have said itís not a rebuild, they offered everyone extensions and the offers stand. I donít think we are headed to a long rebuild. I think 2022 wonít be great but itíll be better than people are expecting. After that they should be back to a competitive level.
    Last edited by CP_414; 07-30-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Javy was a fan favorite, but I don't think many objected to that trade. Trading Kimbrel made sense. Hell, I even get trading Rizzo. But trading Bryant doesn't suggest "we want to be competitive next season" or "we're willing to spend money." The value of the deal we got won't come close to the value we'd have gotten from just extending KB. That's what doesn't add up to me.
    Bryant was heading to free agency this winter. There's no point in keeping him past the trade deadline on a lame team if you can get something better than a compensation pick for him. Hoyer did the right thing regardless even if we want to spend 240 million on payroll next year.

Bryant has Scott Boras as his agent, it seems very clear he wants to test the market.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I like Marcus Stroman this off-season plus a good SS. Stroman is young enough to be good for awhile.

Can see him getting 22-25 mil per over 5-6 years? Might be a year or 2 more than I'm comfortable

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Right now? I think they can snag one of the SS: Correa/Seager/Story with Baez as a backup
    I think they'll grab an arm. Maybe a good one. There's lots of arms available. You have guys like Rodon, Ray, and Kershaw who will all probably hit the market in some capacity (Kershaw may not). You have Syndergaard. Desclafani. Gausman, Pineda...there's a lot.

I think the Cubs can realistically be in on anyone they want.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Right now? I think they can snag one of the SS: Correa/Seager/Story with Baez as a backup
    I think they'll grab an arm. Maybe a good one. There's lots of arms available. You have guys like Rodon, Ray, and Kershaw who will all probably hit the market in some capacity (Kershaw may not). You have Syndergaard. Desclafani. Gausman, Pineda...there's a lot.

I think the Cubs can realistically be in on anyone they want.
    Iíd look at pitchers who are 1-2 years away from free agency too. All of a sudden the cubs have a ton of depth to make moves over the next few years. Maybe you trade for someone like Sean Manaea and extend him. Then sign a big time starting pitcher and a big bat, fill in the rest of the holes for 2022 with smaller/shorter deals. Or you wait on trades for another year. Over the next few years pitchers like Bieber and Glasnow will get traded.

Agreed everything he said I agree with 100%.

Honestly I think we're lucky. We got all star seasons from Bryant and Kimbrel plus Rizzo and Baez recovered from shaky starts, so all our big assets had good or better trade value, and it was a good sellers trade market to set us up for the next decade.

If our guys had seasons like last year we'd be screwed, if teams were clinging to prospects like last off-season or recent deadlines we'd have done worse. Based on where we were Opening Day 2021 I'm happy with where we are today.

Yep. Jed is saying all the right things. I hope he takes a legit run at KB or Rizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Sofnr View Post
    Yep. Jed is saying all the right things. I hope he takes a legit run at KB or Rizz.
    Gimme Bryzzo back and I'll be happy. I'll even start the very first "They out here playing checkers while Jed playing chess" thread.
    Chicago Cubs ē Chicago Blackhawks ē Buffalo Bills ē Southern Illinois University Salukis

Maria Sakkari ē Angelique Kerber ē Bianca Andreescu

I trusted Jed to be honest and so far he has. Itís all any fan can ask for.

I said it earlier, but I think thereís a very clear path to being competitive again next year and being really competitive in 2023. We have 3 guys of the future already here (Contreras, Nico, Madrigal). Maybe we grab Seager and KB in free agency. Thereís 5/8 position players and by 2023 all our big prospects will start knocking on the door. We have a plethora of bullpen options throughout the minors. We have Hendricks. Alzolay just needs to figure out how to get lefties out, but even if he is always a mid to back end starter, thatís still valuable. The Wicks kid we drafted will probably be fast tracked and will probably be a mid to back end starter. Just need to grab a couple of top end starters whether that be trade or free agency and continue to try and develop our own starters. Thereís a path. Absolutely.