Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What do the Cubs do for the Trade Deadline?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy, buy, buy! Get help and win another division crown

0 0%
  • Sell, sell, sell! Firesale and get prospects to build the 2023 or 2024 Cubs

10 100.00%
Page 158 of 209 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208 ... LastLast
Results 2,356 to 2,370 of 3129
    Quote Originally Posted by ChI_ShIzzLe View Post
    So..where do we go from here? I have zero faith in Ricketts being able to commit to building a championship roster, nor do I have faith in Hoyer being able to replicate Theo’s work. For the former, you have to spend money to win and win on a consistent basis, otherwise you’ll always be behind teams like the Dodgers who give zero f**cks about money and have been committed to winning.

I just have a really bad feeling we’re headed for decades of suckage again unless they sell the team to a Bezos type owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don’t know where we go from here. A lot of people think that Ricketts and Hoyer are going to spend money again and quickly put together a competitive team in 2022. After the last 3 years of non-spending, I’m skeptical of Ricketts actually opening his wallet again.

I feel like we’re going into our 2nd full rebuild in a decade.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Why would they all of a sudden choose to spend after gutting guys that would be critical to be competitive?

I have a feeling we won’t be relevant again for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    I don’t know where we go from here. A lot of people think that Ricketts and Hoyer are going to spend money again and quickly put together a competitive team in 2022. After the last 3 years of non-spending, I’m skeptical of Ricketts actually opening his wallet again.

I feel like we’re going into our 2nd full rebuild in a decade.
    2023 should be the year they start competing again with prospects coming up and having 2 offseasons of bringing in the right FA.

Hoyer gonna have plenty to spend but needs to spend wisely this offseason and not give out blank checks with multiple years to players pass their primes just to put together a competitive team for 2022

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Why would they all of a sudden choose to spend after gutting guys that would be critical to be competitive?

This is where I'm at as well.
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

Maria SakkariAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

2021 MLB Season FA/Trade Deadline Thread

Because they have about $40 million committed for 2022. They didn’t spend more in 2018 because the payroll was about $235 million. They didn’t spend more in 2019 because payroll was about $215 million. 2020 they were cutting back to get under the tax line. 2021 was covid and I think they came in around $160 million.

I hate the Ricketts as much as anyone does. I still expect them to spend a lot this offseason. They have to in order to get the payroll close to where it has been recently.

Even if you add in arb estimates, the roster spots they can fill internally and the $20 million for benefits and 40 man payments I bet the 2022 payroll is currently below $80 million. They should have a lot to spend, but a lot of needs of course.

They're going to spend because they have very little committed into payroll going forward. will they spend 200mil in one offseason? most likely no, and i wouldn't want or expect them too.
    I hope Hoyer spends smart and only commits long term to FA that can still be productive in 5 years.

Get a couple long term significant players this offseason and a couple more next offseason to mix in with the upcoming prospects and 2023, 2024 looking good

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    This is where I'm at as well.
    I disagree. The Ricketts spent over 200m two straight years and it wasn’t working. I totally understand why they want a different approach. I think if we can be competitive at 200m then they will spend it.

I really don’t get the Ricketts hate. It is a business and the bottom line has to play a role in any business.

"But yeah...this is the BLM era and the Dems are running a mass incarceration ticket." ManRam

They're going to spend money but couldn't sign a 29-year old Bryant to an extension? Not buying it.

They're going to spend money but couldn't sign a 29-year old Bryant to an extension? Not buying it.
    This is why I can’t wrap my head around it.

Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    I disagree. The Ricketts spent over 200m two straight years and it wasn’t working. I totally understand why they want a different approach. I think if we can be competitive at 200m then they will spend it.

I really don’t get the Ricketts hate. It is a business and the bottom line has to play a role in any business.

Javy was a fan favorite, but I don't think many objected to that trade. Trading Kimbrel made sense. Hell, I even get trading Rizzo. But trading Bryant doesn't suggest "we want to be competitive next season" or "we're willing to spend money." The value of the deal we got won't come close to the value we'd have gotten from just extending KB. That's what doesn't add up to me.

I mean we don’t know what he was offered and what it would have taken. Jed claims he made offers to all 3 guys and he thinks the offers will hold up well in free agency. We’ll see.

If Kb was looking for the type of contract Arenado signed or Rendon signed (he probably was looking for that or more), then he wasn’t going to sign an extension. I don’t think he’ll get close to that money in free agency today.

You remember why Theo held him down for a couple extra weeks in 2015? It was to get an extra year. Because they knew, with Boras, it would come to this. The Cubs really didn’t do it with any other prospects. They did it with Bryant because he was the surest bet and he had that agent. It played out as planned with the possible exception that the team wouldn’t contend this year.

I get that the immediate response to today, and to this year is to say "there's no way they spend". I'm about the most anti-Tom Ricketts poster you'll find. I've laid considerable blame at his feet. I feel that's still acceptable and well earned. I want to start this post that way because I'm about to pull a swerve...

I think the Cubs will spend next year. I don't think they'll spend over the luxury tax. But entering this year, they had a payroll of $160m or so. They have $40m on the books next year and with arb numbers...around $55-$60m. The Cubs are back to full crowds. They're making money again. Worst case, we know they can do $160m so they'd have roughly $100m to spend. I think they may add a little on top. Corey Seager really feels like a "Cub buy" heading forward, but maybe it's Story or Correa, I don't know. I think they'll grab a SP. Two, probably. I think they will go cheap on the bench again, but they did a good job identifying cheap bench choices.

Why do I think that? Jed Hoyer isn't out of the loop here. He knows the 2022 budget. He isn't going to be told that in 7 months. I think all you have to do is look at the trades today. Madrigal, Heuer, and Kilian are all supposed to be ready next year. That's 3 of the 6 players acquired. Add in Deichmann. That's 3 45 or better prospect acquired in the last few days designed to help as soon as next year (and Kilian who seems to be a highly undervalued prospect). On top, Ricketts ate a pretty decent amount of money these last few days to ensure these prospects got added to the system. He bought the Yankees and Mets returns. Hoyer, himself, weeks ago said this wasn't a 2012 situation. This wasn't today; this was before the deadline. And then...brought in four players who will impact next season. You don't add Codi Heuer, or Nick Madrigal, or Deichmann if it's a full, total teardown for years.

I once believed this was going to be a slow, awful teardown. And these last few days...have been hard. Seeing Bryant cry was tough. But there's a path here, and the Cubs widened that path today, to make 2022 fun. I will say this probably 500 more times before opening day; but I do not expect a Dodger-like juggernaut. I think we'll see an Oakland/Milwaukee team next year; a team that is pitching strong, contact oriented offense and just good enough offensively. The Cubs will have the bullpen in house at this point to make this happen. They will have to buy some starters. But I think this was the plan for weeks; and I think they did what they wanted to. I do not believe this is going to be a long time. I think the plan is to force your way into being interesting by cornering pitching, and then letting the offense bubble up over the next few years.

I get that today was emotional. But I think taking emotions out...the Cubs did well and may have taken 2 steps back...but took 3 steps forward, too.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 07-30-2021 at 10:44 PM.

I can be an optimist and assume Ricketts didn’t have faith in this core to be able to rebound back into 2016 form after 4 straight years of regression. I’ll wait and see if he really opens up the payroll next 2 winters. It’ll be exciting to be linked to big name FAs after a while again. Just can’t sign any more Heywards and Sorianos.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    I mean we don’t know what he was offered and what it would have taken. Jed claims he made offers to all 3 guys and he thinks the offers will hold up well in free agency. We’ll see.

If Kb was looking for the type of contract Arenado signed or Rendon signed (he probably was looking for that or more), then he wasn’t going to sign an extension. I don’t think he’ll get close to that money in free agency today.
    I can't speak for what was offered either, but I agree with the last paragraph here. I think whatever KB signs is going to make a lot of us angry considering what we sold him for.

As far as spending money in the coming off-seasons, in the last calendar year we've dumped Darvish, Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez and received no immediate roster talent for them. And that all comes after all of the claims that the Cubs did not need to and were not going to go full gut and rebuild. It seems pretty clear to me where we're headed here.