Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What do the Cubs do for the Trade Deadline?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy, buy, buy! Get help and win another division crown

0 0%
  • Sell, sell, sell! Firesale and get prospects to build the 2023 or 2024 Cubs

11 100.00%
Page 1 of 219 1231151101 ... LastLast

2021 MLB Season FA/Trade Deadline Thread

2021 MLB FA/Trade Deadline Thread

Cubs needs:

Selling all possible assets and beefing up our minor league system.
    Last edited by CubsRule08; 07-09-2021 at 11:11 AM.

2016 World Series Champions!!!

I've been on the sell wagon for years and I for damn sure am not getting off based on a small glimmer of hope to make the playoffs. The only team making it out of the central into the playoffs is going to be the division winner. There is no guarantee that the Cubs are going to be the winner, you can't even make the argument that they should win the division, it's more of a toss up. Even if by chance they do win the division and make the playoffs we are talking about the same group of players that have put up 2 runs in their last 3 playoff games and havent won a playoff game since 2017.

This team needs hitting and an ace starting pitcher. What ace are you going to pick up for cheap that doesnt sell the future? And what future will there be if you make that trade and your 2022 core is Contreras, Heyward, Happ, and Hoerner? Watch out Pirates, we are coming for the bottom!

Trade Kimbrel and get what you can for Baez. Go into the offseason and get something worked out with Bryant, and possibly Rizzo, then take your pick between Correa, Seager, and Story, and fill in the rest.

Assuming they arenít planning an awful long term rebuild, I donít think they should decide yet if they are buyers or sellers. If it is down to them and Milwaukee and they are close then they should buy. If itís a 4 team race and they are 5 games out then they should probably sell.

After this Brewers series the Cubs have 79 games left. Only 16 of the 79 are against teams above .500 today (7 with Milwaukee, 6 with the Sox, 3 vs SF). After this series the Brewers have 81 games left with 29 against teams currently above .500. Let it play out until the 24th or so and then pick a lane.
    Last edited by CP_414; 06-28-2021 at 05:22 PM.

You just have to look at our top of the rotation to know that we aren't going to match up well in the postseason. If we had Darvish, things might be different but as it stands now, I feel like we would need to add 2 top of the rotation type starters which isn't going to happen. And we haven't even touched on the offense.

I feel like Bryant wants to be a free agent, we have to get what we can for him. Baez has a lot more value to a smaller market team looking for exciting players to bring people to the ballpark vs. trying to win games; similar to what the Tribune Company did with Sosa. Kimbrel obviously would also be dealt.

I think Rizzo has more value to the Cubs than anyone else. Pay the man and get that deal done. We try to also extend Conteras and pray that Ricketts opens up the wallet so we are only doing a 1 year reset.

I just read today how Heyward's $20 million signing bonus was fully deferred to four $5 million payments each April 1 from 2024-2027. At some point he has to retire right? Remember when Ryno retired because he felt he wasn't earning the $7 million salary?

I hope everyone is doing well.

If you told me we could add a Starling Marte or equal impact bat and a TORP (not even sure who that would be) then Iíd say go for it assuming we are still in it at the deadline. And even that feels 1-2 starting pitchers short. What I donít want to do is add a David Peralta type hitter and a mid - to back end of the rotation starter and call it ďgoing for it.Ē

I think you could get a pretty significant prospect for Kimbrel and Iíd hate to waste that opportunity.

I know that if you have a chance to win the division, you go for it, but man this team has some holes. We had a 27-13 stretch where guys like Duffy, Wisdom, and Marisnick (among others obviously) were playing great baseball. What those 3 did are not sustainable if you look at their track records. Happ and Heyward are automatic outs basically. Javy has a 96 wRC+. Joc has been okay, but nothing great. We have guys like Ortega, Sogard, and Alcantara getting significant playing time. Thereís a lot there to consider.

I guess the best option is just see where you are around the deadline and choose a path then.

If you were hoping for a Marte trade

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/s...608129024?s=19

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Kind of wonder if we could Trade Bryant for Gleybar Torres. Yanks might be desperate enough to change it up and maybe it gives Torres and wake up call being traded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones-in View Post
    Kind of wonder if we could Trade Bryant for Gleybar Torres. Yanks might be desperate enough to change it up and maybe it gives Torres and wake up call being traded.
    They can't. There's little reason for the Yankees to do that.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Castellanos home coming is a must this off season

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    He's played a lot of 3B, I wonder if he can play 1B? His OF defense is garbage. NL probably gets a DH this collective agreement so might be a good move for the Cubs.

It's such a weird time to gauge talent with the sticky stuff being cracked down on, have to assume many pitchers will get worse and many hitters will get better. I'll bet there will be a lot more hanging breaking balls hitters like Schwarber and Baez will be able to mash.

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    I think his choice is going to be with a true contending team, in which id be surprise if the cubs would be one next year, plus he may want to go to AL team cause of DH

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I think his choice is going to be with a true contending team, in which id be surprise if the cubs would be one next year, plus he may want to go to AL team cause of DH

There is a pretty good chance the NL has a DH next year once the CBA is finished.

Most players sign with the team that offers the most money. The Cubs have the resources to build annual contenders so if they offer the most money most players would be glad to sign with the Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    There is a pretty good chance the NL has a DH next year once the CBA is finished.

Most players sign with the team that offers the most money. The Cubs have the resources to build annual contenders so if they offer the most money most players would be glad to sign with the Cubs.
    Yeah i realize the DH may come to NL, and i agree players tend to go towards the money, not saying he doesn't want to get paid, just that Castellanos seems like a guy who ready to win now and will sign with a team that already there over a team that needs alot of pieces and may be a couple years away yet.

The current SP, Hendricks (31) on downside of career, Alzolay still learning, the other 3 are garbage. They dont have a "guy" ready in system to be a TOR type next year, so right off the bat, in order to be legit contenders they would need to luck out to get an agreement with and spend top dollars on at least 2 TOR pitchers.

The bats speaks for themselves, the upgrades needed there at most positions .

Just saying, im sure theyll spend and all but with so much needs, it may take them a couple seasons to put the pieces in place to be a legit contender again

Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    Yeah i realize the DH may come to NL, and i agree players tend to go towards the money, not saying he doesn't want to get paid, just that Castellanos seems like a guy who ready to win now and will sign with a team that already there over a team that needs alot of pieces and may be a couple years away yet.

The current SP, Hendricks (31) on downside of career, Alzolay still learning, the other 3 are garbage. They dont have a "guy" ready in system to be a TOR type next year, so right off the bat, in order to be legit contenders they would need to luck out to get an agreement with and spend top dollars on at least 2 TOR pitchers.

The bats speaks for themselves, the upgrades needed there at most positions .

Just saying, im sure theyll spend and all but with so much needs, it may take them a couple seasons to put the pieces in place to be a legit contender again

He signed with the Reds. If the Cubs offer the most money Iím sure heíll take it.

Thereís going to be so much bad blood between players and owners this offseason. Iíll be pretty surprised by any player turning down the highest money for a different city/team. I certainly donít see that being a concern if the Cubs are the team making the highest offer.
    Last edited by CP_414; 07-02-2021 at 05:13 PM.

Mets have had talks with Twins about Donaldson . Expect those Bryant rumors to come up again shortly .

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Page 1 of 219 1231151101 ... LastLast