Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: What do the Cubs do for the Trade Deadline?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy, buy, buy! Get help and win another division crown

    0 0%
  • Sell, sell, sell! Firesale and get prospects to build the 2023 or 2024 Cubs

    10 100.00%
Page 169 of 210 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,535 of 3137
  1. #2521
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,407
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    https://twitter.com/cubrachel/status...260429316?s=21

    Here is the word for word text of Jed this morning. Click on it for the full text.
    Geez, I think that's something he should have said after this winter not right now. That's not going to help us resign any of them. You don't want to throw guys under the bus like that

  2. #2522
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubboy View Post
    A follow up question should have asked Jed if the negotiations he was speaking of were negotiations he, specifically, had with the players or negotiations the Chicago Cubs had. Would have gave context on the timing of the offers. But never expect decent questions from the Chicago media, particularly Kaplan.
    As defensive as Jed is, these may have been recent offers.
    Jed was the GM before Theo left. He has been involved in every offer made since joining the Cubs.

  3. #2523
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Geez, I think that's something he should have said after this winter not right now. That's not going to help us resign any of them. You don't want to throw guys under the bus like that
    The chances of re-signing any of them are remote.

    The only one I have any glimmer of hope that will re-sign is Rizzo and I don't actually believe it will happen.

  4. #2524
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    You directly conflated the two things. Not me. Just DFA them both. You saying, "with the Ortega emergence" implying that this emergence makes him cuttable to use the 5 mil elsewhere.

    That's nonsensical. There's nothing wrong with my reading comprehension, just your ability to clearly state your own ideas.
    😂 okiedokie friend

  5. #2525
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    10,285
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Nothing particularly good. Basically blamed the players who were traded for not wanting to be Cubs. Stuff like "we offered them extensions, they declined them. If they wanted to be Cubs so bad, as they said, it's strange they didn't counter offer us". Insinuated that only Hendricks wanted to be a Cub long term. Frankly, I wish he hadn't. It's not a good look.

    https://twitter.com/JesseRogersESPN/...722855429?s=20

    These are some quotes. I think Rogers, which I'm not surprised, he's got close ties to the FO, comes off rosier than others on his words. I just wanted to post some quotes.
    I feel like this was the situation from the very beginning. Maybe they would have liked to stay Cubs. But at the end of the day, they want to be FA's even more.

    No big deal.

  6. #2526
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    And that's fine. That's not the same thing as, "Ian Happ has one good week at the end of the year." You've completely moved the goalposts on your initial statement. I don't give a **** if someone thinks Happ is good or bad or whatever, he's clearly not a special player.

    That's different from claiming he has one good week at the end of the year. Say what you said here, and I would not jump in to argue with you.
    Not moving any goalposts. He's been awful the majority of the time. His wRC+ gets carried because he doesnt get regular playing time and he'll hit a few HRs in a month while carrying a lower .200 BA and a sub .300 OBP. I know for a fact he was absolute garbage in 2019 and had like a 80 something wRC+ going into the final 8 or so games when he hit like 6 HRs, because I've been having this discussion about Ian Happ for years.

    No goal posts will be moved when I discuss Ian Happ. I've said he's been a bad player since early into his professional career because you could park a city bus in the holes of his swing. The Cubs should have traded him long ago when he actually had value and a chunk of years remaining under control and gotten an actual CF/2B that could replace Fowler at the top of the lineup. The fact they didn't trade him is just mind blowing to me. He didn't fit the roster at all. He didn't complement the lineup in any shape or form and instead he was just an extension of the issues that plagued the team with another high K% and he didn't have a spot in the field to play so they tried to fit a square peg in a round hole and stick him in CF.
    Last edited by cuzi; 08-02-2021 at 01:27 PM.

  7. #2527
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    8,904
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    Well what are the rumors?

    Bryant turned down $200M. Baez turned down $180M. Rizzo turned down $70M.

    If all of those rumors have any weight behind them then the only one that may not regret their decision is Rizzo.

    And just listen to what the players have said after being traded. Baez gave a long pause to the idea of re-signing with the Cubs because he really just wants to play with his best friend Lindor, he even said that before he was actually traded. Bryant is happy as can be because he's playing for his childhood favorite team and his favorite player was Barry Bonds. Bryant even said that before he was traded when discussing FA with his wife that they believed SF was where he would end up. I don't know if Rizzo has made any public comments about re-signing, but Baez and Bryant definitely give off the vibe that they didn't want to sign and it wasn't about the money.
    I dont know, i have to think that Hoyer sat with all 3 and made offers before the season started and maybe sat with them one last time before discussing trades with teams.

    I believe all 3 just wanted to test the market and not wanted to accept a deal right away unless it was something close to what they and their agents felt was their worth.

    Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

  8. #2528
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7,952
    I donít blame the Cubs one bit. Since the trades Iíve seen hit piece after hit piece calling the Cubs a travesty and a cheap organization that doesnít care about winning. It looks like all these guys wanted to gamble on themselves and it remains to be seen if it will work out for them. They made this bed for themselves.

    I can feel better knowing the Cubs tried, and I can feel even better knowing none of these guys are so Great that they are not replaceable. The players did what they needed to, and so did the Cubs.
    Last edited by PeanutPunch33; 08-02-2021 at 01:37 PM.

  9. #2529
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    A city in the United States.
    Posts
    6,313
    While Jed is going to get heat for his comments, the real heat should go to Ricketts. "If they wanted to be Cubs....." is something that a bitter fan (in this case Ricketts) would say after his/her favorite player leaves their favorite organization. I personally think Jed would have been more diplomatic instead of sounding like a bitter fan. IOW, I think Hoyer was simply speaking for Ricketts.
    Screw sabermetics.

  10. #2530
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    2,407
    Quote Originally Posted by CP_414 View Post
    Iím not really shocked. Itís clearly intentional. He went on the score and said a lot of the same things after saying this on ESPN and at the same time that he was doing those interviews they sent out Toms letter to season ticket holders. Everyone digested the trades over the weekend and they are trying to start off the new week by changing the narrative.

    Honestly itíll probably work. Watch how many more cubs fans you see who are blaming the traded players for being too greedy moving forward. Youíll start to see it a lot more now then you saw it previously.

    Jed wonít really walk it back but heíll avoid saying anything this direct about those 3 players again. Itíll be interesting if the players respond, but either way the Cubs got their spin (whether it is true or not) out this morning.
    Yes it might totally be a PR play on Hoyer's part. Fans are upset about these guys moving, and mad at the Cubs and Ricketts etc. It can hurt the bottom line if fans turn their backs on the team because they think the Cubs were cheap.

  11. #2531
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    93,351
    And I thought Friday was the low water mark...

  12. #2532
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7,952
    The Cubs delivered the best 5 years of my sports fandom, but with all the resources they spent on position players and FA - this engine should still be rolling, like the Ď21 Astros. It is a little disappointing to see them having so much success and the Cubs era is done, two similarly built teams. The majority of that falls on the players.

  13. #2533
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51,193
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    Not moving any goalposts. He's been awful the majority of the time. His wRC+ gets carried because he doesnt get regular playing time and he'll hit a few HRs in a month while carrying a lower .200 BA and a sub .300 OBP. I know for a fact he was absolute garbage in 2019 and had like a 80 something wRC+ going into the final 8 or so games when he hit like 6 HRs, because I've been having this discussion about Ian Happ for years.

    No goal posts will be moved when I discuss Ian Happ. I've said he's been a bad player since early into his professional career because you could park a city bus in the holes of his swing. The Cubs should have traded him long ago when he actually had value and a chunk of years remaining under control and gotten an actual CF/2B that could replace Fowler at the top of the lineup. The fact they didn't trade him is just mind blowing to me. He didn't fit the roster at all. He didn't complement the lineup in any shape or form and instead he was just an extension of the issues that plagued the team with another high K% and he didn't have a spot in the field to play so they tried to fit a square peg in a round hole and stick him in CF.
    This entire sentiment makes no sense. "His wOBA gets carried because sometimes he's really good." Is completely incongruous with, "He's been awful the majority of the time." That's almost every ****ing player in baseball.

    Before that monster week you're talking about his wRC+ was 93. Not anywhere near 80. And in 2019 he had a 112wRC+ in August. He sucked *** early, but was great the later into the season we got. You simply have no idea what you're talking about with regards to Happ here. You can argue he's not very good, I won't disagree with you super hard on that. But what you're saying makes absolutely no sense, and applied to any nonsuperstar makes them ******.
    Last edited by Doogolas; 08-02-2021 at 02:46 PM.

  14. #2534
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogolas View Post
    This entire sentiment makes no sense. "His wOBA gets carried because sometimes he's really good." Is completely incongruous with, "He's been awful the majority of the time." That's almost every ****ing player in baseball.

    Before that monster week you're talking about his wRC+ was 93. Not anywhere near 80. And in 2019 he had a 112wRC+ in August. He sucked *** early, but was great the later into the season we got. You simply have no idea what you're talking about with regards to Happ here. You can argue he's not very good, I won't disagree with you super hard on that. But what you're saying makes absolutely no sense, and applied to any nonsuperstar makes them ******.

    Watch me do it to Javier Baez: From the start of 2018 until July 3rd Javy had a wRC+ of 90. By July 23rd he had been so hot that his wRC+ jumped up to 108. If you take out that singular 20 day stretch he had a wRC+ of 89. But you can't do that. Because all average-ish to above average hitters have an insane hot stretch that, when removed, makes them look like ****.
    I never mentioned his wOBA. The only good thing I will say about Ian Happ is that he has a very very good understanding of the strikezone and he rarely chases pitches which comes with a high walk rate, might actually be useful if he could make quality contact, or contact at all, on pitches that aren't right down the middle.

    And I've never been a fan of Baez either so I'm not sure what your point is. However, Baez is an infinitely better all around player because he, unlike Happ, is very good defensively.

  15. #2535
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51,193
    Quote Originally Posted by cuzi View Post
    I never mentioned his wOBA. The only good thing I will say about Ian Happ is that he has a very very good understanding of the strikezone and he rarely chases pitches which comes with a high walk rate, might actually be useful if he could make quality contact, or contact at all, on pitches that aren't right down the middle.

    And I've never been a fan of Baez either so I'm not sure what your point is. However, Baez is an infinitely better all around player because he, unlike Happ, is very good defensively.
    Whatever, I said wOBA and meant to type wRC+. That should be clear from the context of the discussion as well as the rest of my post. And wOBA has a near 1:1 correlation with wRC+ so it doesn't matter.

    I can do the same thing for almost ANY solid but not great hitter. Including KB most years after his MVP season. Basically every player looks a LOT ******** if you take out their best stretch of games. All of them.

    Great example: Rizzo in 2018 had a 120wRC+ through August 24th. Then he got INSANELY hot from the 25th to Sept 3rd. From Sept 4th to the end of the year he had a wRC+ of 90.

    His final season line gave him a wRC+ of 126. Without that stretch his season wRC+ is probably around 112. Which is pretty abysmal at 1B. Because your best stretch of the whole season makes a pretty big difference.
    Last edited by Doogolas; 08-02-2021 at 03:00 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •