Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 170 of 215 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 3218
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The Bucks are champs from last year, are they better this year?
    The Nets were contenders last year, this year they may not have Kyrie, are they better this year?
    Not sure Miami is better now than last year.
    Hawks I agree.
    Boston I don't agree.
    Bulls may be better.
    Knicks I'm not sold yet.
    Sixers could slip.

I just don't see any clear reason to think this year's East is significantly better than last year's.
    The only team on that list that didnít really improve is Boston. But if Brown is healthy and Tatum takes another step I can see them having a better season.

And The Bucks will be better simply with continuity.

An argument can be made that the Nets will be better off with out the giant distraction that is Kyrie. With a healthy Durant and Harden theyíll always have a punchers chance. So long as those two are healthy theyíre gonna make a run this year.
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 10-15-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The Bucks are champs from last year, are they better this year?
    The Nets were contenders last year, this year they may not have Kyrie, are they better this year?
    Not sure Miami is better now than last year.
    Hawks I agree.
    Boston I don't agree.
    Bulls may be better.
    Knicks I'm not sold yet.
    Sixers could slip.

I just don't see any clear reason to think this year's East is significantly better than last year's.
    The Heat, Bulls, and Knicks are clearly better.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    The Heat, Bulls, and Knicks are clearly better.
    I actually think Kemba will have a bounce back year. I also think Fournier was a solid pick up for the Knicks. And with a healthy Robinson, I think the Knicks will def be better.

The bulls adding Ball, Derozan, Caruso will for sure be better.

The Pacers will be better simply by being healthier.

The Bucks donít need to be better they are already great

The Nets, I have them among the favs to winning the ship this year

Miami adding Lowry and having a healthy Butler will be better too. I donít see how anyone doesnít think those team didnít improve.

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    The only team on that list that didnít really improve is Boston. But if Brown is healthy and Tatum takes another step I can see them having a better season.

And The Bucks will be better simply with continuity.

An argument can be made that the Nets will be better off with out the giant distraction that is Kyrie. With a healthy Durant and Harden theyíll always have a punchers chance. So long as those two are healthy theyíre gonna make a run this year.
    Honest question:
    How many more steps can Tatum take?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Honest question:

That's a good question. He is fantastic right now. I do think Boston could be better though. They didn't gel at all last year. On paper, they are pretty talented and personally I am interested if giving Smart the PG reins can help
    Last edited by ewing; 10-15-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Supposedly Simmons was trying to fake covid to get out of game 7 against the Hawks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
    You make solid points for sure, but it all works under the assumption that Simmons CAN do better and was in the wrong situation/roster and completely disregards the idea that Simmons mentally CANNOT lead a team. It's fun to think about Simmons just running in the open court like Giannis, spinning off guys and dunking over whoever he wants averaging 20/10/10, but maybe, just maybe that's never going to be him. Maybe on a team without efficient scorers around him and shooters he's a passive 10 FGA guy who is afraid to initiate contact because of FTs.

Philly did everything reasonable, short of trading Embiid to accommodate Simmons. They coddled him, let him work with his brother and continue to shoot lefty. They added shooters, they never brought in a ball dominant guard, they tried to make it work with Simmons at PG. Let's at least leave the door open that he just can't, not that he hasn't yet.

So with that door open, I just can't see anyone in their right mind trading Fox (even with how bad of a dumpster fire the Kings are) or many other really good players. You have to REALLY buy low with Simmons for it to make sense. Fox, CJ, other guys who are admittedly outside the top 30, I still can't give up for Simmons with that door open.
    I argue that they didn't do everything possible to accommodate Simmons. Not saying they should have, but I don't think the roster construction has been all that great if the goal is maximizing Simmons (which I'm not saying it should be). But as much as embiid wants to say letting butler go to bring in horford was a Simmons move, it was a dumb move and a bad fit. Horford is a good shooter for a big, and horford fits Simmons without embiid, but with embiid it's dumb. I said it from day 1. Horford is a good shooter for a big. But he's not a volume shooter you run plays for.

He may never be the 20/10/10 guy. But he's legit already been a 16/8/8 guy with all nba caliber defense on a playoff team. CJ McCollum is a modesty efficient volume scorer who can be wildly inconsistent and offers very little in the way of distribution or defense.

I've always like McCollum and wanted the Bucks to find a way to get him with Giannis prior to Jrue joining the fray. But when did McCollum become this like all nba talent. Dude plays alongside a guy most consider a top 10 player and they've made one decent playoff run. This concept that giving up McCollum for Simmons would sink your franchise is crazy. Heck, Portland has a dude that is maybe a better fit at the starting 2 in Powell anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I argue that they didn't do everything possible to accommodate Simmons. Not saying they should have, but I don't think the roster construction has been all that great if the goal is maximizing Simmons (which I'm not saying it should be). But as much as embiid wants to say letting butler go to bring in horford was a Simmons move, it was a dumb move and a bad fit. Horford is a good shooter for a big, and horford fits Simmons without embiid, but with embiid it's dumb. I said it from day 1. Horford is a good shooter for a big. But he's not a volume shooter you run plays for.

He may never be the 20/10/10 guy. But he's legit already been a 16/8/8 guy with all nba caliber defense on a playoff team. CJ McCollum is a modesty efficient volume scorer who can be wildly inconsistent and offers very little in the way of distribution or defense.

I've always like McCollum and wanted the Bucks to find a way to get him with Giannis prior to Jrue joining the fray. But when did McCollum become this like all nba talent. Dude plays alongside a guy most consider a top 10 player and they've made one decent playoff run. This concept that giving up McCollum for Simmons would sink your franchise is crazy. Heck, Portland has a dude that is maybe a better fit at the starting 2 in Powell anyways.
    It's not that CJ or Fox move the needle more than Simmons, it's that as a GM, I absolutely can't have that blow up in my face. Too risky.

To make an analogy, to trade for Butler, Miami gave up Josh Richardson, Hassan Whiteside and a 1st. That wasn't a big risk being that Butler wanted to come here and pushed for it. The players Miami gave up weren't worth anything either. But knowing his personality conflicts there was still at least some risk involved.

With Simmons apparent picky about his trade destination, his entitlement, his lack of skills (shooting, post game, and leadership), there are also clear risks. I can't move on from certain players for Simmons, especially with Philly expecting the trading team to include extra stuff (they wanted 1sts added with the CJ deal).

And Simmons hasn't averaged 16/8/8 on a winning team for several years now and only did it once.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    Paying a good role player 40 million bc he was drafted 1st and treating him like a franchise cornerstone was a mistake. I was saying years ago they should try to move Simmons for a Conley or Lowery type or even Malcolm which you might still be able to do. I still think they could have done better with him. Al was the only other needle-moving move and it was a really bad one.

I know we have had this conversation before but the "fit" stuff is just funny to me at this point. I think he fits fine. He just isn't that good. Joel is the most versatile offensive center in the NBA and plays on the outside more than he should to accommodate Ben. If Ben doesn't fit with him he's a 5. Every player who isn't a 5 should be able to play with Embiid. If you require every other player on the floor to stay behind the 3 point line at all times and to only play at a super fast pace you just aren't that good. I was a shooter I'm would have scored more if my HS PG ran and passed like J Kidd doesn't mean it was a "bad" fit.

I think it's funny that you're the big Sexton supporter but you're doing the same thing to Simmons. He's not a top shelf player who is going to alpha dog be the best player on any team he's on and immediately make them a contender. But there's like 8 to 12 of those guys in the league at most. So essentially, anyone outside the top 10 to 15 players in the league will either be the number 2 on a super team in order to win or needs a perfectly built, well balanced team to win.

That's why to me if makes sense for a non contender to step up. I still think Portland makes sense amongst the contenders too, but a non contender to build around him makes a ton of sense.

And again, the advantage to a Simmons type is he unlocks the combo guards. Every year there's those 6'3" ish guards that are dominant college scorers, but aren't really true PGs or distributors, but they're also too small to really defend SGs and wings full time, especially defending the top SGs and wings. Those guys are at times awkward to build around if they aren't truly elite players, but having a Simmons helps that.

I also think can you win with build a pretty good team with Simmons on the max. Can you win a ring? I'm not sure, but the Bucks are the first team since the Mavs in 2011 to win without one of LeBron, Curry or Kawhi. So that criteria eliminates most players.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Honest question:

Tatum is only 23 and has the mamba mentality of working hard to improve; I think with experience heíll grow in the mental aspect of the game as well

I agree. I made a point about the revolving door of gms. No one can confidently say that all along, the team was constructed around Simmons. With each gm coming in they likely didnít have identical visions of the roster make up or direction. I would say that BC and Brand actually may have set the franchise back. And as it was Hinkie was in tank mode for x amount of years and that didnít help their culture either.

Young players like Simmons who need development need a good development system in place. And after speaking to War, Iím under the impression that, that is something Philly lacked in the past when Simmons was drafted. Add the fact that there was little continuity I do see a recipe where a player like Simmons and his development could have been lost in the shuffle. I can also see how that can lead to frustration on the players part when he ultimately becomes the scapegoat while the other star of the team is glorified. Players are people, they have real people emotions. Iím not making excuses for Ben Iím just saying I can see why he might be frustrated with the franchise. He has faults in this as well that he needs to accept
    Last edited by smith&wesson; 10-15-2021 at 01:51 PM.

It's not that CJ or Fox move the needle more than Simmons, it's that as a GM, I absolutely can't have that blow up in my face. Too risky.

To make an analogy, to trade for Butler, Miami gave up Josh Richardson, Hassan Whiteside and a 1st. That wasn't a big risk being that Butler wanted to come here and pushed for it. The players Miami gave up weren't worth anything either. But knowing his personality conflicts there was still at least some risk involved.

With Simmons apparent picky about his trade destination, his entitlement, his lack of skills (shooting, post game, and leadership), there are also clear risks. I can't move on from certain players for Simmons, especially with Philly expecting the trading team to include extra stuff (they wanted 1sts added with the CJ deal).

And Simmons hasn't averaged 16/8/8 on a winning team for several years now and only did it once.
    I think Philly wanted firsts in the CJ deal because of the fairly large age gap.

But I agree there are risks for any team taking Simmons on. Will he ever improve his shooting? Will he put the team first and get passed himself? Those are serious concerns for any team that trades for him. No doubt.

Trade destinations for Ben Simmons

I think it's funny that you're the big Sexton supporter but you're doing the same thing to Simmons. He's not a top shelf player who is going to alpha dog be the best player on any team he's on and immediately make them a contender. But there's like 8 to 12 of those guys in the league at most. So essentially, anyone outside the top 10 to 15 players in the league will either be the number 2 on a super team in order to win or needs a perfectly built, well balanced team to win.

That's why to me if makes sense for a non contender to step up. I still think Portland makes sense amongst the contenders too, but a non contender to build around him makes a ton of sense.

And again, the advantage to a Simmons type is he unlocks the combo guards. Every year there's those 6'3" ish guards that are dominant college scorers, but aren't really true PGs or distributors, but they're also too small to really defend SGs and wings full time, especially defending the top SGs and wings. Those guys are at times awkward to build around if they aren't truly elite players, but having a Simmons helps that.

I also think can you win with build a pretty good team with Simmons on the max. Can you win a ring? I'm not sure, but the Bucks are the first team since the Mavs in 2011 to win without one of LeBron, Curry or Kawhi. So that criteria eliminates most players.
    Collin Sexton isnít any wonít be making 35-40 on his next contract and Ben Simmons isnít a number 2 on offense

Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I think Philly wanted firsts in the CJ deal because of the fairly large age gap.

But I agree there are risks for any team taking Simmons on. Will he ever improve his shooting? Will he put the team first and get passed himself? Those are serious concerns for any team that trades for him. No doubt.
    3 picks and 3 swaps does not indicate they felt age was the difference. https://twitter.com/DannyMarang/stat...353705479?s=20

3 picks and 3 swaps does not indicate they felt age was the difference. https://twitter.com/DannyMarang/stat...353705479?s=20
    Iím just trying to understand the logic. If I was trading a 24 year old for a 31 year old Iíd likely ask for picks too. I do think that 3 picks + 3 swaps is outrageous. Imo if thatís what they are still expecting theyíll never move Ben