Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    I thought Michael Sam was the first openly gay NFL player????

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    Just starting a discussion. How many 5th or 6th des In The nfl are getting 3.5+ mil a season?

How bad would it look if we release him right after he announces he was gay??

Sorry, correction. He has a 4.9 mil cap hit this year. The starters are ingaque and Crosby. Cle and Koonce will be getting a lot of reps. And Thomas will get some. He is realistically getting paid 4.9 mil to be our 5th option at de. Maybe 6th. He is on the bubble on this team due to his contract.
    Nassib has a base 4.9M cap hit if he is on the roster. If cut his cap hits from void years would trigger causing us to lose and addition 5M to 10M in cap space(depending on if we do a june 1st cut designation or not). We do not gain any cap if Nassib is cut. Raiders currently cant even afford to cut Nassib as he would go negative in cap.

Funny, we wouldn't even be talking about him if he didn't make his announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    Just starting a discussion. How many 5th or 6th des In The nfl are getting 3.5+ mil a season?

How bad would it look if we release him right after he announces he was gay??

Sorry, correction. He has a 4.9 mil cap hit this year. The starters are ingaque and Crosby. Cle and Koonce will be getting a lot of reps. And Thomas will get some. He is realistically getting paid 4.9 mil to be our 5th option at de. Maybe 6th. He is on the bubble on this team due to his contract.
    That's a fair question. Gruden and Gus both have said that they plan to keep the best players. Draft position, contracts, etc., take a back seat to that. The most any player can hope for is a fair chance to compete.

I just don't necessarily think that something other than Nassib's play in camp will influence that decision.

And I don't think it's fair or even mildly humorous to demonize a guy and assume that he has an ulterior motive with an announcement of this magnitude. I've seen nuclear options less lethal than broadcasting that you're gay even in today's NFL.

Apologies if any of my replies seemed strident. I'm just trying to keep the hate, hate-adjacent shade, and general idiotic, nonsensical f***ery to a minimum. The Raider Nation is better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by raidermike View Post
    By the way he's not the 1st active player to come out gay. Remember Michael Sam?
    Remember?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    First ACTIVE player. Sam came out while in college and never played a snap in a regular season game. Remember? Remember?

Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    Funny, we wouldn't even be talking about him if he didn't make his announcement.
    This!

Funny, wouldnít have made an announcement if people felt it was ok to be openly gay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 06-23-2021, 01:00 AM
    Reason
    I'm not sure your intention with this comment but it could easily be construed negativity. so Im going to remove it.

Guys last time. Lets take it down a notch.

Thanks.

I think thatís why he made his announcement, lol. To get people talking. To normalize it. Obviously, he sees a need for it. If it saves lives, Iím glad weíre talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    Funny, wouldnít have made an announcement if people felt it was ok to be openly gay.

It's a lot more excepted now than it was years ago.

The gay card and marketing works.

Jersey sales through the roof

The gay dude that I work with immediately came to me and said ďbro your team got a little more diverse todayĒ and he hates ďsports ballĒ but is considering getting his first jersey.

Itís all good in all ways shapes and form.
    I personally donít care either way the why or when

That being said it was marketing genius

Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post

I've worked with many people. Let's face it, some people have a problem with it. That will never change. I don't care either way. Question.....would anyone know he was/wasn't gay? The flip side, has anyone ever said, Hey, I'm straight? IMHO, I think it's a non issue, so why bring attention to it?

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    That's a fair question. Gruden and Gus both have said that they plan to keep the best players. Draft position, contracts, etc., take a back seat to that. The most any player can hope for is a fair chance to compete.

I just don't necessarily think that something other than Nassib's play in camp will influence that decision.

And I don't think it's fair or even mildly humorous to demonize a guy and assume that he has an ulterior motive with an announcement of this magnitude. I've seen nuclear options less lethal than broadcasting that you're gay even in today's NFL.

Apologies if any of my replies seemed strident. I'm just trying to keep the hate, hate-adjacent shade, and general idiotic, nonsensical f***ery to a minimum. The Raider Nation is better than that.
    I donít think itís hate. Itís a fact that we would still be talking about this even without the announcement. Itís a discussion. There was a big blowup in the gay community when Sam was released or cut.

Example: we talk about Richard making 3,5 mil as a 3rd stringer. Nassib makes 4.9 mil and has about 4 or five people ahead of him on the depth chart.

We canít cut him. We would have to trade him. Whoís going to pay that much for a guy that hasnít produced.

Did you know in the last few days, he has the number one jersey sale?

I've worked with many people. Let's face it, some people have a problem with it. That will never change. I don't care either way. Question.....would anyone know he was/wasn't gay? The flip side, has anyone ever said, Hey, I'm straight? IMHO, I think it's a non issue, so why bring attention to it?
    Because straight kids arenít killing them selves over being straight (Not saying there arenít other reasons), and too many gay kids are.

Until itís not a big deal for most at different ages, this is good for many people. A lot of us may not be in that group and donít see the necessity, it if you donít see itís a necessity, then youíre not one of the people this announcement is supposed to help.

Iím just saying, itís small-minded to think this announcement is completely unnecessary for EVERYONE, even if it may be unnecessary for many or even most.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay View Post
    Because straight kids arenít killing them selves over being straight (Not saying there arenít other reasons), and too many gay kids are.

Until itís not a big deal for most at different ages, this is good for many people. A lot of us may not be in that group and donít see the necessity, it if you donít see itís a necessity, then youíre not one of the people this announcement is supposed to help.

Iím just saying, itís small-minded to think this announcement is completely unnecessary for EVERYONE, even if it may be unnecessary for many or even most.
    Really, Gay kids are killing themselves because they are gay? Show me the research, any links??

I would like to see that. I majored in Biology and Psychology (at Loyola U.) I never saw anything like that before.

Please send me the links.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast