Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Someone being gay is not a big deal. The first active player in NFL history to come out as gay is a big deal. He mentioned donating to the suicide prevention org, a lot of states have recently passed anti lgbtq laws, this is why it’s noteworthy for him to come out. In 20 years maybe it won’t be necessary to announce it but until then, these types of moments are important.

As for football, maybe he’ll feel more relieved and focused and have an 8-10 sack season.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash47 View Post
    I don't care what your sexual orientation is, why does it have to be officially announced?
    Agreed.

All that matters to me is his production on the field but at the same time I respect the hell out of him for putting himself out there and hopefully making it easier for future athletes. He doesn’t seem to want the attention, he just wants others to know it’s ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wang View Post
    Someone being gay is not a big deal. The first active player in NFL history to come out as gay is a big deal. He mentioned donating to the suicide prevention org, a lot of states have recently passed anti lgbtq laws, this is why it’s noteworthy for him to come out. In 20 years maybe it won’t be necessary to announce it but until then, these types of moments are important.

As for football, maybe he’ll feel more relieved and focused and have an 8-10 sack season.
    By the way he's not the 1st active player to come out gay. Remember Michael Sam?
    Remember?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

IN CHUCKY WE TRUST

I’m Not being disrespectful.

Is it possible he came out because he is in danger of not making the team?
    Starters will be yannick and Crosby. Then Ferrell and Koonce will get a lot of reps. Then Solomon Thomas will get some reps.
    Should we pay him over 3.4 mil for being our 5th or 6th de?

Quote Originally Posted by raidermike View Post
    By the way he's not the 1st active player to come out gay. Remember Michael Sam?
    Remember?

They said twice he was the first. Nope. Micheal Sam was. And it was reported that Strahan was.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    They said twice he was the first. Nope. Micheal Sam was. And it was reported that Strahan was.
    Michael Sam came out before he was drafted, and never made it onto an active roster.

Remember?

Splitting hairs a bit, but Sam was the first open gay player to be drafted into the NFL. However, he never played in the regular season. He didn't make the final cut with the Rams before the season began. Dallas signed him at one point to their practice squad, but Sam never suited up for a single game in the regular season. I think he went to Canada from there, or something like that.

Also, it is worth noting that there have been other NFL players who came out as gay after their careers were over. But Nassib is the only one who came out while he was an active player on an NFL roster with actual games played under his belt and who will likely continue to play into the current season barring injury.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    Splitting hairs a bit, but Sam was the first open gay player to be drafted into the NFL. However, he never played in the regular season. He didn't make the final cut with the Rams before the season began. Dallas signed him at one point to their practice squad, but Sam never suited up for a single game in the regular season. I think he went to Canada from there, or something like that.

Also, it is worth noting that there have been other NFL players who came out as gay after their careers were over. But Nassib is the only one who came out while he was an active player on an NFL roster with actual games played under his belt and who will likely continue to play into the current season barring injury.
    And cynics would say Michael sam dropped significantly in that draft with that revelation, and it may have had an impact on the decision to cut him (much like kaepernick or Tebow, where the “distraction” isn’t worth it for a non-superstar…..no doubt he would’ve made the cut if he were Khalil Mack or even just above average starter quality).

Starters will be yannick and Crosby. Then Ferrell and Koonce will get a lot of reps. Then Solomon Thomas will get some reps.
    Are you seriously suggesting that Nassib is using "the gay card" in an attempt to keep his job?

Let's think that through for a minute. If he doesn't come out as gay, he has a better chance of making another roster, even if the Raiders release him. But coming out as gay all but assures that teams wishing to avoid any controversy will pass on him. And to be clear, 99% of the teams around the league hate controversy.

Nassib stands to lose everything now that he's come out. Being gay in the NFL is not a protected class or a privileged status of any kind. Quite the opposite.
    Last edited by RaiderLakersA's; 06-22-2021 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ4ptplay View Post
    And cynics would say Michael sam dropped significantly in that draft with that revelation, and it may have had an impact on the decision to cut him (much like kaepernick or Tebow, where the “distraction” isn’t worth it for a non-superstar…..no doubt he would’ve made the cut if he were Khalil Mack or even just above average starter quality).
    True. Like every major sport, the NFL makes exceptions for rare talent. From most accounts, Sam was an ok player.

Where the NFL differs from other leagues is that players have a much smaller window to show and prove that they can make an impact at this level. We've seen some big names traded away or outright released when they had an off year or two.

So for a rookie coming in, it's even harder to land a spot on a roster and stay when your skill and talent level is just average. That's the case for most players. (Obviously, we can all think of at least one person that was completely useless, but somehow managed to stick around for much longer than their actual production value merited.)

They re worked his contract this offseason. If they cut him, it’s be like 15 million in dead money. I don’t think he’s worried about getting cut.

Remember?

Sam was the first openly gay player to be drafted. He never made the team or played in a regular season game. Nassib will become the first openly gay player to do that.

I’d venture to guess their are a handful of guys that are gay on every team in the league. Not that it matters.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast