Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: A's @ Yankees

yankees turned their 3rd triple play of the season that ties a record going back to 1903.. that year the yanks known as the highlanders also turned 3 triple plays..

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    What about this year! Sevy not likely to return on schedule due to recent set back. Kluber is a concern. Sure there is help on the horizon, but I am thinking shorter term....like this month and next.

Garcia getting lit up recently. King looks good, Schmidt as well....but neither have the stuff that Loiasiga does. Gil, Waldichuk and Medina haven't proved anything on the ML level. I agree the future looks bright, but I am also concerned about the present.
    How do you realistically stretch him out this yr and not run a high risk of injury? He's maxed out at 39 pitches this yr, to start he probably needs to be stretched out to 80-90 pitches to start.

He's been our 2nd most valuable pitcher by WAR so far this yr only behind Cole. I just don't think it would be worth the risk to take him out of his incredibly valuable current role to experiment with him mid season. He's finally found huge success in the BP after struggling out there last yr and dealing with all the lost time due to injuries, I wouldn't mess with it mid season.

If they wanted to see him try as a starter again I would think the better option, with a guy with his kind of injury history, to slowly stretch him out this winter.

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    I didnít see the game but saw a replay of the triple play on Twitter. I guess itís someone off the bench but it looks like heís wearing a blue pullover and he does this leap and jump from excitement! Heís lucky he didnít hurt himself, if you get a chance check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    https://t.co/NRWNRXxHIf

Looks like miggy.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

I can only see the news thread when someone puts a new post in it.

I'm probably the only person experiencing this but would be nice if psd did something about it.

His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

With that in mind

Following todayís game, the @Yankees optioned INF Chris Gittens to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre

Looks like voit will be back for Tues game..

I think the expectation may have been higher for Gray. He was viewed as a potential ace, I don't believe the same can be said of Tallion, particularly given his injury history. Did they believe they were getting a better pitcher? Probably. Did they view him as an ace? I doubt it. However I do believe they thought Gray would and could be the anchor they had been searching for.

Yankees parted with Yajure , Contreras, infielder Maikol Escotto and outfielder Canaan Smith in exchange for Taillon, (who missed all of the 2020 season.) Yajure was the Yankeesí No. 15 prospect at the time. Contreras was rated No. 19, and Smith was No. 21.

When the Yankees acquired Gray from the Oakland Athletics, everyone thought the rotation was finally getting a bonafide ace, expectations were high. Oakland sent Gray to NY in exchange for Mateo, Kaprielian, and outfielder Dustin Fowler. At the time Fowler, Mateo and Kaprielian were ranked as the fourth-, eighth- and 12th-best prospects, respectively, in the Yankees' farm system by MLBPipeline.com. The Yanks are also received $1.5 M in international bonus pool money.

I think the relative value of the prospects traded is open for debate.

Did the Yankees believe Tallion would be better than he's proven thus far? I imagine they would. Did they expect him to supplant Cole as the #1 or even Kluber? I seriously doubt it. They may have had higher expectation. But given the injury history I imagine those expectation were tempered by reality.

If that's supposedly true about Taillon and the yankees projecting him to be a #3 or worse, why go through the horrible uncertainty of making a fairly large trade when there were plenty of inexpensive #3/4 starters on the market? Rich Hill, Carlos Rodon, Taijuan Walker, Brett Anderson, Lance Lynn were all available. 3 out of those 5 pitchers took 3 million to play. Even Walker was only 7 million and Lynn was 8 million. If there was even a chance Taillon would become a #4 or worse, that would be a horrible miscalculation based on his history and track record. If they expected a #1 then that trade makes sense, maybe. I'm not certain I'd give anything worthwhile for a pitcher with one good season and 2 TJ surgeries though. A pitcher like that is only worth minor league depth in return, UNLESS expectations were sky high and I felt even an overpay was worth it.

Try to imagine if Montgomery were to go down again with a TJ injury, making it his second and another team offered you the same package we gave up for Taillon. I don't even think a healthy Montgomery would get us that right now, but say it did. Wouldn't you just be like, what the eff just happened? This is sort of how i felt when the Red Sox took #0 off our hands for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I'd listen on anybody but to actually move Gio the return would have to be big. Gio is one of the better defensive players at 3B around, plays a solid SS also, hits to contact, hits well situationally and seems to have that clutch gene. I'm just not sure your going to find a better option at 3rd for the next couple yrs, that said for the right return i would understand the move.

I think if you put Torres back at 2nd, where he belongs IMO, i would bet on seeing his hitting going back to closer to what he was. Way to young and talented to move on from.

Agreed that they aren't moving Judge, but that means they are going to have to pay him long term and with Stanton already signed forever that could be an issue. I think paying those 2 a combined 50M plus into their late 30's is setting themselves up for problems.

I know everyone loves Gary again and he could easily end up being an AS again, that said if he finishes the season really strong how do you not atleast gauge his market? With as bad as the rest of catching is around baseball some team might give us a big return and we have a number of interesting C specs not to far away

Send Voit, Frazier, Garcia and Krispe or Abreau, although i'd like to see more from Abreau, to AZ for K Marte. That would free up 3 40 man spots.

Then find a strong LH bat that could platoon in RF with Andujar this off season.

Bottom line i think they need to add atleast 2 LHed or SH to that lineup.

An OF of Judge, K Marte, Andujar, with Hicks being the 4th OFer might not be to bad

I haven't wanted to throw a shoe at my TV with Boone lately.

It seems like he has been going with the hot hand in the lineup, like Sanchez, even if the anals say differently. He's actually looked like a manager, not a puppet for a CPU the last 2 series.

He's been making the right moves, especially late in games that i haven't seen him traditionally do in the past. He really looked like he was managing a playoff series the last 2 rather than just another regular season series. He probably realized he was coaching for his job, if they had gotten beaten badly these last 2 series it would be hard to believe he wouldn't be on his way out.

Hopefully something clicked upstairs for him and he realized that if they kept massively under performing like they were he wouldn't have a job next yr and he would likely be taking his buddy Cashman down with him.

There is really nothing that Boone could do to make me want him back but if he continues to actually manage games like he has been the last 6, he's got a much better chance a keeping his job.

Cashman has got to go and get a better CFer than Gardy soon though
    I would absolutely move Torres in the offseason and bring up Park. I hate the idea of losing Gleyber but they can't go through another season with a super light hitting SS and 2B. The yankees really lost an opportunity to see what Park could do by signing a trash player like Odor just because he hits home runs.

If the return on Gary is big then there's absolutely no question you capitalize, but I'll be honest, if Higgy is hitting under .200 next season while Gary is hitting bombs and playing like old gary i'm going to cry a little.

Amburgey has played almost 90 games in CF. I would option Frazier to AAA temporarily, bring him up and see what happens. If clint doesn't do well in AAA then he will be no help to major league club anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    gleyber has 6 home runs in the last 362 at bats he is not a great talent anymore if he does not turn it around i would not mind trading him off season
    Trade him while his value is low. Smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    If that's supposedly true about Taillon and the yankees projecting him to be a #3 or worse, why go through the horrible uncertainty of making a fairly large trade when there were plenty of inexpensive #3/4 starters on the market? Rich Hill, Carlos Rodon, Taijuan Walker, Brett Anderson, Lance Lynn were all available. 3 out of those 5 pitchers took 3 million to play. Even Walker was only 7 million and Lynn was 8 million. If there was even a chance Taillon would become a #4 or worse, that would be a horrible miscalculation based on his history and track record. If they expected a #1 then that trade makes sense, maybe. I'm not certain I'd give anything worthwhile for a pitcher with one good season and 2 TJ surgeries though. A pitcher like that is only worth minor league depth in return, UNLESS expectations were sky high and I felt even an overpay was worth it.

Try to imagine if Montgomery were to go down again with a TJ injury, making it his second and another team offered you the same package we gave up for Taillon. I don't even think a healthy Montgomery would get us that right now, but say it did. Wouldn't you just be like, what the eff just happened? This is sort of how i felt when the Red Sox took #0 off our hands for nothing.
    So if I understand correctly. You assume the Yankees over pay for Tallion was a clear indication they valued him as a #1? Maybe. I think it was just an incredibly poor trade, a gross miscalculation based on his injury history. I said it at the time and believe it today. Cole may have influenced the deal a bit due to his relationship. The brain trust may have experienced a brain fart on this one imo.

So if I understand correctly. You assume the Yankees over pay for Tallion was a clear indication they valued him as a #1? Maybe. I think it was just an incredibly poor trade, a gross miscalculation based on his injury history. I said it at the time and believe it today. Cole may have influenced the deal a bit due to his relationship. The brain trust may have experienced a brain fart on this one imo.
    I think they thought they were getting a #3 starter with upside to be more. I don't think even a dumb FO would trade for a guy in that situation and think they were getting a #1.

The same guy who suggests trading Torres, came to the defense of a suspected pedophile.

So yeah..uh..hmm..

I honestly don't see what other motives there could be. Cashman clearly passed on simply paying guys who could have been #3/4 starters and opted to make a massive trade for a guy with 2 tj surgeries. The wheels were definitely spinning on that acquisition. Cashman is usually fairly careful trading prospects so i would say that was probably the case.

I wish i could have made a post about this at the time, but i honestly hadn't been following the prospects very well with the minor league season being suspended last year and I had already forgotten who was who from 2019.

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I honestly don't see what other motives there could be. Cashman clearly passed on simply paying guys who could have been #3/4 starters and opted to make a massive trade for a guy with 2 tj surgeries. The wheels were definitely spinning on that acquisition. Cashman is usually fairly careful trading prospects so i would say that was probably the case.

I wish i could have made a post about this at the time, but i honestly hadn't been following the prospects very well with the minor league season being suspended last year and I had already forgotten who was who from 2019.
    Those guys were likely out of Cashman's price range after Kluber.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLES3658 View Post
    Those guys were likely out of Cashman's price range after Kluber.
    Do you mean Walker and Lynn, because the others were just 3 million. If they hadn't traded for Taillon, never signed Wilson and Gardner there would have been enough money for one of either Lynn or Walker. I actually never expected Kluber to be 11 million. I'm not sure what i would have done in that situation. I might have passed on him if I knew I had so little cap space. A rotation of Cole, Rodon and Lynn or Walker would have been pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by OhSoSlick View Post
    The same guy who suggests trading Torres, came to the defense of a suspected pedophile.

So yeah..uh..hmm..

Random internet troll spotted lmao

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast