Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: A's @ Yankees

gary has changed his approach at the plate and he is hitting the fastball earlier this year he could not hit a fastball even if you told him what pitch he would face

I think the expectation may have been higher for Gray. He was viewed as a potential ace, I don't believe the same can be said of Tallion, particularly given his injury history. Did they believe they were getting a better pitcher? Probably. Did they view him as an ace? I doubt it. However I do believe they thought Gray would and could be the anchor they had been searching for.

Yankees parted with Yajure , Contreras, infielder Maikol Escotto and outfielder Canaan Smith in exchange for Taillon, (who missed all of the 2020 season.) Yajure was the Yankees’ No. 15 prospect at the time. Contreras was rated No. 19, and Smith was No. 21.

When the Yankees acquired Gray from the Oakland Athletics, everyone thought the rotation was finally getting a bonafide ace, expectations were high. Oakland sent Gray to NY in exchange for Mateo, Kaprielian, and outfielder Dustin Fowler. At the time Fowler, Mateo and Kaprielian were ranked as the fourth-, eighth- and 12th-best prospects, respectively, in the Yankees' farm system by MLBPipeline.com. The Yanks are also received $1.5 M in international bonus pool money.

I think the relative value of the prospects traded is open for debate.

Did the Yankees believe Tallion would be better than he's proven thus far? I imagine they would. Did they expect him to supplant Cole as the #1 or even Kluber? I seriously doubt it. They may have had higher expectation. But given the injury history I imagine those expectation were tempered by reality.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny ny View Post
    gary has changed his approach at the plate and he is hitting the fastball earlier this year he could not hit a fastball even if you told him what pitch he would face
    He has become a threat again. He may be the hottest bat in the line up.

Loaisiga has been so good this yr. Great job today in a big time, multi inning relief appearance.

That 2-seam/sinker that he is throwing 97-101, is an incredibly wicked pitch. Its incredibly impressive how much power he creates from such a little frame.

Doc, my curiosity is starting to get the better of me with Loaisiga and i'm coming around to your idea. While there is no way i take him out of his current role this yr, I'm starting to think it might be the right move to try him as a starter again next spring.

Stuff wise, Lasagna would be right behind Cole with his 2-seam/Sinker, CU, CB combo .. He has all the tools to be a TORP but can he stay healthy? Depending on what we need this winter pitching wise, trying him as a starter again might be something to seriously consider

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    He has become a threat again. He may be the hottest bat in the line up.
    I think he's been the best bat for the last couple weeks. Ever since he made that change to his leg kick, he has become a completely different hitter than the guy we saw last yr and to start this yr.

This has absolutely the best Gary has looked at the plate since the 17 season or the first half of 19. If he keeps hitting for the next 3-4 week like he has the last month or so he's got a legit shot at being an AS again

Completely different lineup when Gary is hot and hitting between Judge and Stanton. Right now our 2-4 guys are an absolute nightmare for apposing pitchers. As long as Gary is hitting, he needs to stay in that spot

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Loaisiga has been so good this yr. Great job today in a big time, multi inning relief appearance.

That 2-seam/sinker that he is throwing 97-101, is an incredibly wicked pitch. Its incredibly impressive how much power he creates from such a little frame.

Doc, my curiosity is starting to get the better of me with Loaisiga and i'm coming around to your idea. While there is no way i take him out of his current role this yr, I'm starting to think it might be the right move to try him as a starter again next spring.

Stuff wise, Lasagna would be right behind Cole with his 2-seam/Sinker, CU, CB combo .. He has all the tools to be a TORP but can he stay healthy? Depending on what we need this winter pitching wise, trying him as a starter again might be something to seriously consider
    It ain't Broke!!!

I also think by next year, we could see 4-6 guys from the farm make legit cases for roles.
    We will likely go into next year with Cole-Sevy-German- Monty and have Garcia, Schmidt, King, Gil, Waldichuk and even potentially Medina, making moves for the bigs

This could be so ****ing fun to watch!!

Ignorance is bliss

I agree Day. Keeping him healthy is always a concern, based purely on his stuff he's got TORP written all over him.

I am on my back deck watching the game and I just ate a 2 pound bowl of steak. I took it off the grill, threw it into the bowl in which it marinated and ate it all
    I am feeling very manly

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I agree Day. Keeping him healthy is always a concern, based purely on his stuff he's got TORP written all over him.
    His stuff is nasty but I think part of his dominance comes from not having to navigate a lineup more than once.
    He's a guy that the second or third time through, I would worry he will start to overthrow and end up injured.
    What he could become is the next closer.

Ignorance is bliss

When will a Yankee pitcher get a call like the one on Frazier?
    It was a strike but Yankees pitchers have not been getting those calls

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    It ain't Broke!!!

I also think by next year, we could see 4-6 guys from the farm make legit cases for roles.
    We will likely go into next year with Cole-Sevy-German- Monty and have Garcia, Schmidt, King, Gil, Waldichuk and even potentially Medina, making moves for the bigs

This could be so ****ing fun to watch!!
    I know buddy but seeing how dominate he can be in a multi inning situations that it makes me wonder if he could do it for 6-7 IN.

I did say depending on what we need starting pitching wise this winter with the Loaisiga statement.

I absolutely agree about the list of young pitchers that could impact the rotation next yr but you forgot a couple more, Otto, Junk, Spears and even Wesneski could all factor into the rotation at some point next yr.

I hate to say this but with our 40 man situation we might need to deal a couple pitching specs and maybe a middle INF or 2. We have so much depth in the system with those positions, it's going to be impossible to protect all the guys that we probably should/want to keep.

I just hope if they are going to give up good pieces its for another elite multi yr piece like K Marte. IMO, you put K Marte in that lineup and with Voit back that could be one hell of a lineup

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    His stuff is nasty but I think part of his dominance comes from not having to navigate a lineup more than once.
    He's a guy that the second or third time through, I would worry he will start to overthrow and end up injured.
    What he could become is the next closer.
    Good point, I agree I could see him struggling a bit the 3rd time through like he used to but he never had an effective CU till this yr.

When you factor into all the starting pitching we already have and even more coming, I do absolutely agree that he could be our next closer. A few of us have been speculating that that Loaisiga could become our next closer for a while now

I know buddy but seeing how dominate he can be in a multi inning situations that it makes me wonder if he could do it for 6-7 IN.

I did say depending on what we need starting pitching wise this winter with the Loaisiga statement.

I absolutely agree about the list of young pitchers that could impact the rotation next yr but you forgot a couple more, Otto, Junk, Spears and even Wesneski could all factor into the rotation at some point next yr.

I hate to say this but with our 40 man situation we might need to deal a couple pitching specs and maybe a middle INF or 2. We have so much depth in the system with those positions, it's going to be impossible to protect all the guys that we probably should/want to keep.

I just hope if they are going to give up good pieces its for another elite multi yr piece like K Marte. IMO, you put K Marte in that lineup and with Voit back that could be one hell of a lineup
    100%. Marte is the best possible guy IMO. He can play anywhere. Switch hitter. contact hitter.
    It'w weird because the farm is stacked but they need to move bodies off the 40 man to make room for Marte.
    I hope they don't bank on Torres as the future SS. This team needs a few lefty bats. The only spots you can add them are in the OF if you move Frazier or Andujar or wait till next year when Gardner is gone.
    Would you move Gio and Voit? Make room for Peraza (lefty) and trade for Frazier at 2nd. DJ goes to first and Torres to third?
    Or make a move for Rizzo? This team could also use a lefty bat to break up Judge, Stanton, Sanchez and Torres

Ignorance is bliss

O MY God

yanks turn a triple play to end the game lol..

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast