Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cole makes plea to MLB over sticky stuff

Yankees’ Gerrit Cole makes plea to MLB over sticky stuff | What you need to know
    By Brendan Kuty | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com Today 6:15 AM

Cole, a major voice in the players’ union, made a pleas to MLB.

“Please just talk to us,” he said. “Please just work with us. I know you have the hammer here. But we’ve been living in a gray area for so long. I would hate for players to get hurt. I would hate to see balls start flying at people’s heads. I had a really tough time gripping the baseball tonight, especially early when it was windy. I don’t really care to be inflammatory here. I’m just going to leave it at that.”

Cole said “it’s so hard to grip” a baseball.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2021/06/y...d-to-know.html

Also see for video interview: https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...b-just-talk-us

My 2 cents on the issue. I find it ironic that some people condemn Cole and the use of foreign substance but yet endorse the use of PED's, because "everyone does it." Well it is estimated 70-80% of pitchers "use something" to get a better grip.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Yep. If PEDs are allowed, so should this.

There has to be a happy medium for the stuff.

I wonder if pitchers would bond together and become conveniently wild and we see way more hit batters across the league. The pitchers then say, they can't get a good grip

Ignorance is bliss

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Yep. If PEDs are allowed, so should this.

There has to be a happy medium for the stuff.

I wonder if pitchers would bond together and become conveniently wild and we see way more hit batters across the league. The pitchers then say, they can't get a good grip
    I don't know if Cole was being dramatic trying to make a point, but last night he did seem to be struggling with the ball. Rubbing it up much more than I have witnessed in past. Cone commented on it.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    I don't know if Cole was being dramatic trying to make a point, but last night he did seem to be struggling with the ball. Rubbing it up much more than I have witnessed in past. Cone commented on it.
    last night was extremely dry for this time of year cole was rubbing the baseball wiping his pants leg and head for sweat to use on the ball..

Cole just basically admitted he uses spider tack. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Cole just basically admitted he uses spider tack. lol
    No secret, as do an estimated 70 -90% (depending on who you ask) of pitchers in MLB.

Imo, the MLB dropped the ball (no pun intended) on their recent "manipulations" to the inner windings. They are trying to deflect focus away from the overall drop in offense and re-focus the attention on pitchers using "foreign" substances. I believe this is a bit too xenophobic, why not scrutinize domestic substances with the same fervor?

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    No secret, as do an estimated 70 -90% (depending on who you ask) of pitchers in MLB.

Imo, the MLB dropped the ball (no pun intended) on their recent "manipulations" to the inner windings. They are trying to deflect focus away from the overall drop in offense and re-focus the attention on pitchers using "foreign" substances. I believe this is a bit too xenophobic, why not scrutinize domestic substances with the same fervor?
    Agreed. They changed the ball and it had a bigger affect than they thought it would so rather than simply admit that, they are coming down on pitchers. I suspect a different ball will be slowly implemented, 1 or 2 guys will get nicked for using substance to show diligence and after a period of time, pitchers will be back to using the stuff and MLB will go back to "allow it" by ignoring it. MLB looks proactive and like they have a plan, offense goes up, pitchers take a short term hit and then go back to business as usual

Ignorance is bliss

IMO, this is one Manfred. If they wouldn't have screwed with the ball so much this might not be an issue. Have any of you guys tried to even throw one of this yrs baseballs. The seems are low and brand new they are extremely slick.

While i absolutely don't think spider tack or extreme foreign substances should be allowed whatsoever, i do agree with the suggestion about a universal approved substance to help the pitchers get a little grip on the ball. These guys are throwing a 100 and can't control where its going, someone is going to get hurt.

Star pitchers like Bieber, Glasnow and Max getting hurt right when they ban substances isn't a coincidence. Like Glasnow said pitchers are going to get hurt because they are having to grip the ball so much harder. Star pitchers keep getting hurt isn 't going to have a positive effect on the game either.. IMO its a mistake to make them stop using ANYTHING, especially mid season, isn't the way to go. They need to find a substance thats legal so pitchers can get some grib on these balls for both the sakes of the pitchers and hitters. I have zero issue with them using pine tar, rosin or sun screen but not spider tac or that crap

Slick posted an excellent 4 minute video that definitely is worth the watch on this, explains alot

I did see the video it was excellent! How bout the shenanigans with the umps checking last night? The Scherzer Girardi thing? I was embarrassed for Joe,I’m a big fan of his. How bout Romo dropping his pants?
    Once again this is a huge blunder by Manfred! Is there a worse commissioner in sports? To implement this rule mid season AND to have no good way or an outline to enforce this?
    So as bad as the umpires are we’re asking them to police this? Holy mackerel Andy they can barely ump the games correctly!!!And if there aren’t enough interruptions and this game isn’t slow enough we add this to the recipe???
    Thoughts fellas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by runnermjr1296 View Post
    I did see the video it was excellent! How bout the shenanigans with the umps checking last night? The Scherzer Girardi thing? I was embarrassed for Joe,I’m a big fan of his. How bout Romo dropping his pants?
    Once again this is a huge blunder by Manfred! Is there a worse commissioner in sports? To implement this rule mid season AND to have no good way or an outline to enforce this?
    So as bad as the umpires are we’re asking them to police this? Holy mackerel Andy they can barely ump the games correctly!!!And if there aren’t enough interruptions and this game isn’t slow enough we add this to the recipe???
    Thoughts fellas?

I am on repeat, I know but he is the worst commissioner of any sport, ever. He is flat out horrible

Ignorance is bliss

Thoughts fellas?

Doesn't really delay game. It's done after the inning.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

Thoughts fellas?

Agreed with everything you said, especially about Manfred. Excellent post