Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Glasnow diagnosed with partially torn UCL

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Rays/sta...76625192292352

Not good news for the Rays. Maybe he can pitch through it though depending on the tear. Seth Lugo has been doing so for a few years and I know Masahiro Tanaka has as well.

I can't believe he's now gone public blaming the crackdown on foreign substances for his injury.

So some o' these guys have gotten so dependent on breaking the rules they can't pitch well without it?

Spin rate..a term you never used to hear, now it's about all you do
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    I can't believe he's now gone public blaming the crackdown on foreign substances for his injury.

So some o' these guys have gotten so dependent on breaking the rules they can't pitch well without it?

Spin rate..a term you never used to hear, now it's about all you do
    The same muscles that contribute to grip strength also protect the UCL. When they’re fatigued, the UCL is more vulnerable

Typically, it takes tissue on the order of weeks to physically adapt to a new stimulus, like the removal of a grip enhancer

I don't ever recall seeing a rosin/sun screen set up ''illegal'' before now.

In fact, in union meetings both pitchers and hitters wanted that to keep happening as they felt it didn't do enough to increase the spin rate to an unfair advantage(50ish rpm was the average, but did help guys grip the ball, especially when sweaty and the MLB changing the stitching on the balls, again. Most of which are extremely inconsistent and they're rubbed before a game is started then left to sit for the whole game so it could be a ball that's been sitting for 3 hours.

Mlb decided to 'ban' it mid season.

So, I think it is an issue and I absolutely believe pitching injuries will be on the rise from this sticky situation. Pun intended.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Too bad there isn't a way for players to vote on things like this. Maybe a bargaining agreement? Novel concept I know. Whatever the case is, I think hitters are okay with certain foreign substances like sunscreen or rosin. We've heard Glasnow say as much and when position players are asked, there seems to not be a ton of push back. The more egregious substances seem to be the heart of the complaint but yeah as Slick said, don't be surprised to see more pitcher injuries if a pitcher's grip is affected adversely. That can **** up their mechanics and make them more susceptible to elbow and shoulder injuries.

OhSoSlick is offline Formerly RCSownsU - PSDs Sexiest Fireman
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Too bad there isn't a way for players to vote on things like this. Maybe a bargaining agreement? Novel concept I know. Whatever the case is, I think hitters are okay with certain foreign substances like sunscreen or rosin. We've heard Glasnow say as much and when position players are asked, there seems to not be a ton of push back. The more egregious substances seem to be the heart of the complaint but yeah as Slick said, don't be surprised to see more pitcher injuries if a pitcher's grip is affected adversely. That can **** up their mechanics and make them more susceptible to elbow and shoulder injuries.
    I also wouldn't be surprised if that helped lead to Beibs shoulder injury.

Not sure about Max, since it was groin but he could have been trying to throw harder using his legs to compensate. This seems like a reach though.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

My point being...it's against the rules, some pitchers like Glasnow have seen noticeable, even drastic, improvement in performance starting in 2018-19, directly coinciding with an increase in their spin rates.....when every one of them likely started using their foreign substance of choice. We had pitchers in the past who were castigated for the occasional spitball or using a nail file.

It's only some pitchers that have been willing to utilize this. So make a decision- crack down on this or legalize it. There's a few pitchers making millions more than they otherwise would and some hitters struggling more than they would.

And some of you are more concerned with these guys getting injured when giving up something illegal?

How, really, is this different from what the Asstros did?

Everyone should just keep using whatever they're using. MLB really going to suspend every pitcher? I don't it

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Everyone should just keep using whatever they're using. MLB really going to suspend every pitcher? I don't it

well, not everyone IS using anything....most are fine following the rules

What is the league doing? Most leagues are making tweaks that benefit offenses. MLB? Let's do nothing about all these drastic infield shifts. Too many home runs, let's deaden the ball. You want 'em to let this continue, too?

I'm all for a good pitcher's duel, but when the pitcher's actually earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    well, not everyone IS using anything....most are fine following the rules

What is the league doing? Most leagues are making tweaks that benefit offenses. MLB? Let's do nothing about all these drastic infield shifts. Too many home runs, let's deaden the ball. You want 'em to let this continue, too?

I'm all for a good pitcher's duel, but when the pitcher's actually earn it.
    I'm all for juicing the ball, making PEDs legal and letting pitchers use whatever they want.

Baseball was at its peak with McGwire, Sosa, Bonds etc slamming 60+ HRs every year.

I was talking to a friend of mine at the Orioles game last night, and I think we counted three HPB on our guys. One of our guys has been hit three games in a row. I’m sure a website tracks these, and I am sure that they are up since the “crackdown.”

In any case, this sucks for Glasnow. Apparently he is going to rest it, which I think is a mistake. If he has it now, he has an outside shot at getting back for a late season run in 2022, but likely has an entire off-season to get back up to 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I'm all for juicing the ball, making PEDs legal and letting pitchers use whatever they want.

Baseball was at its peak with McGwire, Sosa, Bonds etc slamming 60+ HRs every year.

you're not getting massive home run numbers if you're letting pitchers use whatever they want....you're getting a ton less offense overall and seeing a bunch of very good hitters quite often look very stupid while striking out

letting pitchers do this stuff simply goes against the whole idea of appealing to a larger market by having more offense