Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NBA meets to talk rule change on shots

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1...771689479?s=20

Sources: NBA’s Competition Committee met Monday to further explore rules changes to restrict unnatural motions on jump shots players use to draw fouls. NBA wants to limit players - including stars like Trae Young, James Harden - from leaning backwards and sideways to draw fouls.

The plan's to bring recommendations to the Board of Governors for a vote this summer and implement rule changes for 2021-2022, per sources. Next step will be to talk with league’s GM’s about the specific unnatural motions that’ll be formally recommended to owners for elimination.

There are star players with greater usage and exposure who many people identify with this issue, but the league and teams generally see this as a universal problem throughout rosters that gives offenses too great of an advantage.

Lol good luck! This comes up every so often and guys always find a way to exploit it.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Lol good luck! This comes up every so often and guys always find a way to exploit it.
    Sounds like that they are looking at isn't that hard to regulate or keep a loophole closed. Sounds like the random stopping in the paint, sideways jumping into defenders, and jumping backwards after beating a guy are some of the things getting highlighted. What's interesting is these things should already be an offensive foul (aside from the stopping in the lane) or a NC, but refs just don't call them.

Young and Harden are both still alive in these playoffs, but the ability of many other players -- like Luka Doncic -- to create this kind of contact within the framework of the current rules has been at the center of league discussions for a long period of time.
    Sounds like the NBA is hearing fans on how much this stuff ruins the game.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Sounds like the NBA is hearing fans on how much this stuff ruins the game.
    If they found a way to crack down on this stuff, and flopping, the NBA would be a much better product imo.
    Also wish they'd let players be a little more physical and not call every light touch a foul, but that's for another conversation.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I wonder if they are going to include the way shooters are trying to move into the defensive players to get landing zone fouls too?

When people 25 feet from the basket are trying to draw fouls and flinging the ball in the air it always sucks.

At the same time the refs need to call it more consistently when a shooter's shooting arm is hit during the shot.

As long as we are talking about rule changes and outside players, lets fix the screen rules and give defenders more of a chance to stay with their man, and lets go back to a gather and 1 extra step rather than the gather 2 steps that are allowed now.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    If they found a way to crack down on this stuff, and flopping, the NBA would be a much better product imo.
    Also wish they'd let players be a little more physical and not call every light touch a foul, but that's for another conversation.
    This is kind of flopping that they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    The the bottom a big a reason the officiating why the officiating is bad. It’s a much bigger deal when refs don’t make a call that should have been a foul then when they call one that shouldn’t have been

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    The the bottom a big a reason the officiating why the officiating is bad. It’s a much bigger deal when refs don’t make a call that should have been a foul then when they call one that shouldn’t have been
    The refs are taught to watch the defender for the foul so the offensive player gets all the advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The refs are taught to watch the defender for the foul so the offensive player gets all the advantages.
    Yes and no. One of my students is a DII/DI ref and he said they start watching low and go up, so when they jump they make sure they go straight up, then is there body contact, then follow through contact. Yes because you are looking for the defender going straight up and down theoretically you are watching the defender, but it's not intentional. He thinks this rule change will mean refs will watch the core of the body, up to the hands, then down to the feet.

Yes and no. One of my students is a DII/DI ref and he said they start watching low and go up, so when they jump they make sure they go straight up, then is there body contact, then follow through contact. Yes because you are looking for the defender going straight up and down theoretically you are watching the defender, but it's not intentional. He thinks this rule change will mean refs will watch the core of the body, up to the hands, then down to the feet.
    The NBA has different priorities than DI/DII. The thing is there are only so many things they can see so they have to prioritize, and from the mid-90s through the hand check rule the priorities have been more about the defender outside. As the eyes moved up and away from the feet travels became more common without them being called. As the game moved more outside officials have to look at a shooters hands for if they are going to shoot and if they do they have to quickly get their eyes down to their feet to see if it's a 3 or a 2 and to see if they have a "clear landing zone".

As the focus of rules and rule enforcement change so does the procedures taught to officials. These changes, if they happen, will re-focus the officials to look at the shooters shooting motion that much closer which will mean they will not be looking somewhere else for that fraction of a second.

It's these fundamental limits that make me think we need an extra ref up high just so they can be looking somewhere else.

Even the story says it was a foul. They made the right call.

He got hit in the head by an enormous man

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post

Thing is struggle with is just the inconsistency of enforcement. Game 4 of the bucks and nets game was perfect for that at times. There was a stretch where basically 3 straight possessions they called garbage touch fouls on both teams. Then the next 5 minutes you would have had to commit a homicide to get a whistle.

Guys are going to complain no matter what. But that's what feels like alot of guys biggest issue is. You get whistled for a touch call on one end, then get hammered on the other with no call. Or you do something all game with no whistle then get a trash touch foul in a huge moment late in the game.

That being said, if they can get it right, I love the idea of taking the unnatural motion foul out. I'm sure it's going to be hard to enforce, but I like the idea at least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast