Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Wonder if Hoyer has the balls to cut Arrieta, will be a unpopular move for the casual fans.

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/statu...020418565?s=21

Updated news on the upcoming punishments for foreign substances

2016 World Series Champions!!!

“These new rules apply on June 21, so get your cheating in now because from June 21 we will definitely be enforcing these rules”.

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...983081473?s=19

When I said the Cubs could try to make a Cole Hamels like move I didn't actually mean Cole Hamels

Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    “These new rules apply on June 21, so get your cheating in now because from June 21 we will definitely be enforcing these rules”.
    Looks like they've already started

https://twitter.com/DevanFink/status...845667843?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post

Long overdue really. Screw guys like Trevor Bauer who accuses everyone of cheating (Houston yes, but he also accused their pitchers of cheating in 2018) and then we get confirmation that he was also using “foreign substances” to cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by WhyCantWeWin View Post
    Wonder if Hoyer has the balls to cut Arrieta, will be a unpopular move for the casual fans.
    I was thinking about this last night.
    Gotta figure Hendricks Davies and Alzolay are staying in rotation, so that leaves Arrieta and Williams spots for any upgrade to the rotation. I think if they just add 1 starter, itll be Arrieta theyll let go of first simply because Williams is 29 and has another year under team control, and even if they do add a second starter, they'll probably still keep him and use him in the bullpen, where id guess if he does stick he'll probably end up next season too.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Long overdue really. Screw guys like Trevor Bauer who accuses everyone of cheating (Houston yes, but he also accused their pitchers of cheating in 2018) and then we get confirmation that he was also using “foreign substances” to cheat.
    I actually, and I hate writing these words...don't think Bauer is the bad guy here. He tried saying "league, look what's happening!" And they ignored him. Then he said "well if it's obviously not being enforced, it must be allowed" and joined it.

I really don't like that man. But in this instance, I don't find him to be the villain. He's almost anti-hero (excuse me while I vomit after typing that) status here for doing the "one inning spike" thing with Cleveland.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I actually, and I hate writing these words...don't think Bauer is the bad guy here. He tried saying "league, look what's happening!" And they ignored him. Then he said "well if it's obviously not being enforced, it must be allowed" and joined it.

I really don't like that man. But in this instance, I don't find him to be the villain. He's almost anti-hero (excuse me while I vomit after typing that) status here for doing the "one inning spike" thing with Cleveland.

I guess he just rubs me the wrong way. But you are right, had the league enforced this stuff, cheating in this way wouldn’t happen.

But hey, it was totally good of them to take 10 or so days to come back with their findings for this when it felt like it took 6 months for the report on Houston.

I guess he just rubs me the wrong way. But you are right, had the league enforced this stuff, cheating in this way wouldn’t happen.

But hey, it was totally good of them to take 10 or so days to come back with their findings for this when it felt like it took 6 months for the report of Houston.
    Yeah, the more I read about this, the more this really is just "we aren't ignoring this rule" any more. Just about everything here (loss of a roster spot, getting paid for your suspension, etc) is all CBA stuff. Its already the rule. They're just going to enforce it; it probably made it quicker. I doubt there were a ton of concerte rules for the Houston thing, and it was more specific, and in the past; investigation was needed. This isn't past-punative but future. So they don't really need to investigate. It's just "if you do X next time, we do Y".

The biggest issue is that the league knew about this, teams encouraged this, and now everyone wants to whitewash it all. It's like a mini-steroid reaction. Everyone was complicit until they decided they didn't like the optics any more and squashed it. The only real people who will be vilified are the players (and to some point they were breaking a known rule). But teams definitely allowed this, if not encouraged it, and owners, and Manfred knew about this for a while and allowed it.

Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 06-15-2021 at 01:55 PM.

Yeah, the more I read about this, the more this really is just "we aren't ignoring this rule" any more. Just about everything here (loss of a roster spot, getting paid for your suspension, etc) is all CBA stuff. Its already the rule. They're just going to enforce it; it probably made it quicker. I doubt there were a ton of concerte rules for the Houston thing, and it was more specific, and in the past; investigation was needed. This isn't past-punative but future. So they don't really need to investigate. It's just "if you do X next time, we do Y".

The biggest issue is that the league knew about this, teams encouraged this, and now everyone wants to whitewash it all. It's like a mini-steroid reaction. Everyone was complicit until they decided they didn't like the optics any more and squashed it. The only real people who will be vilified are the players (and to some point they were breaking a known rule). But teams definitely allowed this, if not encouraged it, and owners, and Manfred knew about this for a while and allowed it.

I absolutely hated the ESPN broadcast last night where they acted like they had breaking news and just flat out villified the players while praising MLB for cracking down. They spent an entire inning preaching to the fans how upset they should be. This isn't new. Everybody knew about it and didn't care. Perfectly fine with getting rid of it but the way MLB has gone about it and this anti player narrative i keep seeing is super annoying.

100%

And it’s being done in a half season leading up to a CBA negotiation. It would be easy to make this change as part of the new CBA but doing it now reflects poorly on players. The spidertac stuff 100% needs to go, but the timing on this sudden outrage from mlb is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by ILMindState View Post
    https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status...983081473?s=19

When I said the Cubs could try to make a Cole Hamels like move I didn't actually mean Cole Hamels
    Coming off another big injury and being 36 doesn't leave me a lot of hope for Hamels. But the last time he was pitching he was still quite an upgrade over Williams and Arietta. It's not impossible he's got something left in the tank as a back of the rotation guy. But I don't think the Cubs are in a position to see if he can bounce back right now.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast