Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chibears55 View Post
    I dont know, i cant get excited right now with Hendricks Davies and Alzolay/Arrieta being top 3 of rotation in a playoff series ...

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    I think the Wrigley advantage is nuts. Cubs are a juggernaut at home. The Indians have pitching on deck, maybe a mutually beneficial arrangement can be made lol.

Babe Wisdom strikes again

2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    I'm not sure I'd agree with that. The Cubs are a fine, but highly flawed team. The Mets have less cracks. While I don't want to say it's impossible, as constructed today, I think the Mets are probably the 2nd best NL team. Better than SD, slightly. I think even a 1-0 lead is very difficult to beat the Mets in, as I think they have a significant rotation advantage, a deeper lineup most days and an equal bullpen. The Cubs can win. But it'll be hard.

Good thing is the Cubs can address their flaws shortly (still too early for trades unless you want to overpay). And don't have a strong division (worst in baseball based on RD). So things will change. Hopefully...

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
    What do you think about Zac Plesac as a target? I feel the Indians were pretty close to dealing him last season and his recent fluke injury might not help his case. Ton of potential there. They could use some Hitting. Nico for Plesac?
    Last edited by PeanutPunch33; 06-14-2021 at 09:35 PM.

Opposing teams could move the CFer behind 2B and have a 5 man infield and i bet Heyward would still make an out 8 of 10 ABs..lol

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    What do you think about Zac Plesac as a target? I feel the Indians were pretty close to dealing him last season and his recent fluke injury might not help his case. Ton of potential there. They could use some Hitting.
    I think he's both not an option, nor a good one. The Cubs have zero hitting to trade that's MLB ready (their MLB team is currently starting trash like Sogard and career MiLB'er like Wisdom and no one is the system is ready), the Indians are in a battle for the AL Central (whoops! edit) so they're not going to trade a SP without that, or a SP to begin with. He was on the potential block last year for Covid Protocol stuff, but that difference between he and the Indians is likely history now. He's also regressed this year, he's getting no whiffs, he's also on the IL right now for a while for a broken thumb. So I think the Indians have no impotence to trade him, I think the cost is prohibative, and I worry just what he is heading forward anyways.

If you want to go AL Central (my god, why do I think these teams are in the East? ****, I'm an idiot); Jose Berrios. I think he's possible to get for a Darvish like package of 3-4 very young players (maybe like a DJ Herz, Chase Strumpf, Kevin Made + deal? Just spitballing). He's in need of a pitch mix change (his changeup is almost never used yet gets great results. His curveball has far more horizontal movement than vertical. Change it to a slider; go Alzolay on him. Make him shape the slider). The Twins are not good this year and have a lot of aging players. I think he's far more realistic, and someone I think the Cubs can turn from a good, not supurb SP to a potential #2. But I'm not entirely sure the cost.

The Cubs will likely balk at any trade that requires Marquez, Davis or their top-top players. Which I think is a correct decision.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 06-14-2021 at 09:43 PM.

I think he's both not an option, nor a good one. The Cubs have zero hitting to trade that's MLB ready (their MLB team is currently starting trash like Sogard and career MiLB'er like Wisdom and no one is the system is ready), the Indians are in a battle for the AL Central (whoops! edit) so they're not going to trade a SP without that, or a SP to begin with. He was on the potential block last year for Covid Protocol stuff, but that difference between he and the Indians is likely history now. He's also regressed this year, he's getting no whiffs, he's also on the IL right now for a while for a broken thumb. So I think the Indians have no impotence to trade him, I think the cost is prohibative, and I worry just what he is heading forward anyways.

If you want to go AL Central (my god, why do I think these teams are in the East? ****, I'm an idiot); Jose Berrios. I think he's possible to get for a Darvish like package of 3-4 very young players (maybe like a DJ Herz, Chase Strumpf, Kevin Made + deal? Just spitballing). He's in need of a pitch mix change (his changeup is almost never used yet gets great results. His curveball has far more horizontal movement than vertical. Change it to a slider; go Alzolay on him. Make him shape the slider). The Twins are not good this year and have a lot of aging players. I think he's far more realistic, and someone I think the Cubs can turn from a good, not supurb SP to a potential #2. But I'm not entirely sure the cost.

The Cubs will likely balk at any trade that requires Marquez, Davis or their top-top players. Which I think is a correct decision.
    Berrios would be awesome

He should really only be a platoon hitter. Sadly, they have no definitively better option against RHP. You can't trust Marisnick in that role, over his nearly 1200 PA's against RHP he's got a 76 wRC+. He's got a 130 against them this year, but that's almost assuredly an aberration and can safely be considered an outlier with that kind of a sample size. I really don't buy into the "he's hot" thing, every game a player has that's hot/cold it's just another game closer to that ending and them being the player they always are. Heyward can't hit the slider. I don't trust Wisdom at 3b heading forward, so putting him at 3b and sliding Bryant to the OF probably isn't a good idea.

I think the Cubs either need Heyward to remember how to hit a breaking pitch (even if he gets to a .250-.260 wOBA on them like he's been at in 2019. He'll still be fine if he hits fastballs. He was an above average hitter against RHP with basically the same fastball profile and a .250 wOBA on breakers in 2019) or it's an outside the organization thing as we move closer to the deadline. Maybe you can get Hoerner back and slide Happ to RF if he can handle CF (that's if you believe in Alcantara as a starting 2b, which I have my doubts over long sample sizes if he can hold up as a legit MLB starting option).
    I think the answer might just be finding another OF who can hit LHP, which should be easy. Ortega is still on the active roster right now doing nothing, we're already carrying 5 OF, and 6 if you include Bryant. Heyward will probably be ok vs RHP as he usually is.

The only OF who can hit LHP is Bryant and so far Marisnick. So vs LHP we could go *new outfielder* in LF, Marisnick in CF, and Bryant in RF. Then Wisdom/Duffy/Alcantara at 3B (at least one of them will be able to hit LHP even if 2 or 3 of them all come back to earth), Baez SS, Hoerner 2B, Rizzo 1B.

Vs RHP in OF we have Joc LF, Happ CF, Heyward RF. Maybe Marisnick is an option if he's still hitting, but as you say maybe he comes back to earth. Bryant is also an option in OF if one of Wisdom/Duffy/Alcantara is still hitting RHP well. Otherwise we have Bryant 3B, Baez SS, Nico 2B, Rizzo 1B.

If Heyward (and/or Happ, but he's doing better) are still doing poorly vs RHP at the deadline we can worry then but currently it's an unknown. Injuries could also happen, who knows.
    Last edited by Stratos; 06-14-2021 at 10:20 PM.

Itís going to be fun beating the Mets 1-0 when deGrom pitches. Because the Mets with deGrom pitching makes no sense.

Boo...

Surprised they 3-hit us. WTF.

Bryant is hitting .741 OPS over last 30 days (95 ABs). Definitely cooled off.

Hitting .195 AVG over last 15 days too. 41 Abs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
    Bryant is hitting .741 OPS over last 30 days (95 ABs). Definitely cooled off.

Hitting .195 AVG over last 15 days too. 41 Abs.
    Yeah that the thing with these guys, when they get hot or cold it for long stretches..

So the Cubs put a lot of balls in play vs Peterson but got zip to show for it. Didn't watch but was it bad luck or poor contact?

So...a few issues here. While the ".740 OPS" in his last 95 PA's may look rough, it's a perfect example of why you cannot just use OPS willy nilly and how OPS has all sorts of issues build in. It ignores the league offense, it also ignores that OBP and SLG are weighted differently. A .740 OPS is still pushing a 110 wRC+ in that time span (entering tonight he had a 113 wRC+ in his last 90). If you extend this out just 22 PA's it's up to a 120 wRC+. We're just moving arbitrary end points. So he's not been "cold" so much as "not as good as he was". And we're just picking and choosing numbers to fit narratives.

Secondly, it's not "these" guys. It's literally, all guys. In 700 PA samples you can find stretches above and below their season average at will. Look, I'll just go on fangraphs and start clicking around on the top leaderboards for like, 5 minutes and see what I can find:

Here's some examples
    Xander Bogaerts (entered tonight with virtually the same wRC+ as Bryant) had an 80 PA sample size from May 9th to June 2nd that looked like this: .221/.325/.412 102 wRC+

Trea Turner: His last 82 PA's: .240/.305/.267 for a 63 wRC+

Jose Altuve: Between April 1st and May 4th, had 86 PA's of a .247/.291/.338 77 wRC+

Yoan Moncada: Between April 1st and April 20th post up 71 PA's of .200/.310/.283 75 wRC+

Ronald Acuna: Between April 18th and May 9th posted up 72 PA's of .172/.319/.345, 86 wRC+

Now you might say "But look at player X, he hasn't" (examples, because I checked, could be guys like JD Martinez, Aaron Judge and Jose Ramirez). But it's June 14th and we have more than half of the season to go. I can almost assuredly clip 80-100 PA's from every player and say "look at this cold stretch!" by the end of the year, if these players play the year without significant injury. The thing people need to understand about Bryant and the Cubs is simple: the Cubs will have "cold" streaks where the ball doesn't fall, they get out of sync or whatever. It happens to literally, everyone. Every. One. Even players like Acuna suck for most of a month here or there. Baseball is not a consistent game. Over 162 games, weird **** happens. It's hard to remember that Ronald Acuna could basically go 2/3rds of a month and post up an wRC+ that a backup catcher would, but when you don't watch Ronald Acuna every day like you do, say, Kris Bryant, it's easy to see how that would go by. When Acuna has a bad 3 weeks, you don't really notice it; his overalls stay big. You're not a Braves fan, so you're not Brave-box-score watching. But it happened.

The only difference between Kris Bryant, or Anthony Rizzo or almost any Cub who has bad stretches and another good player is that you only watched one of them every day so you noticed it. (Javier Baez is kind of an outlier here, he's definitely someone whom I think is more prone to streaks, but I think that's an approach issue. There's always outliers).
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 06-14-2021 at 11:23 PM.

Well done, 1908. Cooling off does not mean cold.
    Screw sabermetics.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast