Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    and Bruno Fernando in the Kris Dunn-Thompson trade

Yeah our team just continues to get younger and younger but how about adding some vets on this team?

Quote Originally Posted by Tg11 View Post
    Yeah our team just continues to get younger and younger but how about adding some vets on this team?
    Kris Dunn - 27 years old (if he stays)
    Al Horford - 35 years old
    Josh Richardson - 28 years old

What?

City of Champions

PG - Marcus Smart/Payton Prichard/Carsen Edwards
    SG - Josh Richardson/Romeo Langford
    SF - Jaylen Brown/Aaron Nesmith
    PF - Jayson Tatum/Grant Williams
    C - Al Horford/Rob Williams III

Conditionally on the team
    Jabrari Parker - Non guaranteed deal, could be a casualty depending on future moves

Bruno Fernando/Kris Dunn - Pending trade for Tristan Thompson. The fact that it has yet to be finalized are creating rumors that at least Dunn is being shopped around. If he stays (and is healthy) he gives us a lot of what Marcus Smart gives us. Great defense and can run an offense, but does not provide much if any offense himself. I also wonder if having Dunn makes Smart available as he costs more and is on an expiring. It'll likely be who fetches the better return keeping in mind the luxury tax.

Looking at the roster we definitely still have work to do. PG is a very weak position on this team, I expect that to be addressed at some point. We need a 3rd C for the rotation. And we need bench scoring in the worst way.

I like the addition of Richardson, especially if he can return to his Miami Heat form. He can provide a great 3-D player for us and I'd actually like him to start. I think he fits with Tatum/Brown very well.

Evan Fournier is looking for 4/$80m. I can't see us going for that considering future cap space. Maybe they can flip him in a S&T for another player who's making similar money but on a shorter term deal.

City of Champions

Fournier to Knicks

I just donít see this team getting any better.

Quote Originally Posted by BSF101 View Post
    I just donít see this team getting any better.
    They're already better than they were last year. What they're doing here is fairly obvious. The team is now built completely around Tatum/Brown. They're going to put up numbers this year and the team barring injury to a Jay should finish somewhere between 4-8 in the East. Depending where they finish they may get to the 2nd round before they bow out of the playoffs.

Not only can they let the Jays shine with this team but they can find out what they truly have in Langford/Nesmith/Prichard/Williams as they will get plenty of minutes to help with their development.

The team will have cap space next offseason to bring in a 3rd star (Bradley Beal most likely is the target). With the 2 Jays firmly in place and a recent string of playoff runs and disappointments they can sell their 2 bona fide stars to a guy like Beal and convince him he's the missing piece.

With a trio of Beal/Brown/Tatum in place, they can bring back Smart with bird rights. Depending on how Horford plays this year they can terminate his contract or terminate it and convince him to sign back for exception money. Hopefully 2 of Langford/Nesmith/Prichard/Williams can prove to be valuable role players and from there they can fill the bench with guys looking to win at a discounted price.

Don't expect any big moves this offseason...Not going to happen. They're pretty set with what they have and for the first time in quite a while they have a plan with a defined direction.

Let's say everything goes to plan for the most part. Tatum/Brown are All Stars carrying a young team to a 5th place finish in the East. Langford and Rob Williams turn in fine season and prove to be worthy rotational pieces. Horford and Smart play well and are healthy.

Here's you're 2022 team.

Sign Beal
    Re-sign Smart
    Terminate Horfords contract and convince him to sign for the exception

PG - Smart
    SG - Beal - All Star
    SF - Brown - All Star
    PF - Tatum - All Star
    C - Horford

Bench
    Payton Prichard
    Romeo Langford
    Rob Williams III

That should be at minimum a top 3 seed in the East in 2022. Milwaukee will have had their run and start having to cut money from the roster. Who knows where Brooklyn will be at that point. Miami realistically has a 2 year window after yesterday. Philly and Atlanta have pivotal seasons coming up that will determine the direction of their futures.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    They're already better than they were last year. What they're doing here is fairly obvious. The team is now built completely around Tatum/Brown. They're going to put up numbers this year and the team barring injury to a Jay should finish somewhere between 4-8 in the East. Depending where they finish they may get to the 2nd round before they bow out of the playoffs.

Not only can they let the Jays shine with this team but they can find out what they truly have in Langford/Nesmith/Prichard/Williams as they will get plenty of minutes to help with their development.

The team will have cap space next offseason to bring in a 3rd star (Bradley Beal most likely is the target). With the 2 Jays firmly in place and a recent string of playoff runs and disappointments they can sell their 2 bona fide stars to a guy like Beal and convince him he's the missing piece.

With a trio of Beal/Brown/Tatum in place, they can bring back Smart with bird rights. Depending on how Horford plays this year they can terminate his contract or terminate it and convince him to sign back for exception money. Hopefully 2 of Langford/Nesmith/Prichard/Williams can prove to be valuable role players and from there they can fill the bench with guys looking to win at a discounted price.

Don't expect any big moves this offseason...Not going to happen. They're pretty set with what they have and for the first time in quite a while they have a plan with a defined direction.

Let's say everything goes to plan for the most part. Tatum/Brown are All Stars carrying a young team to a 5th place finish in the East. Langford and Rob Williams turn in fine season and prove to be worthy rotational pieces. Horford and Smart play well and are healthy.

Here's you're 2022 team.

Sign Beal
    Re-sign Smart

PG - Smart
    SG - Beal - All Star
    SF - Brown - All Star
    PF - Tatum - All Star
    C - Horford

Bench
    Payton Prichard
    Romeo Langford
    Rob Williams III

That should be at minimum a top 3 seed in the East in 2022. Milwaukee will have had their run and start having to cut money from the roster. Who knows where Brooklyn will be at that point. Miami realistically has a 2 year window after yesterday. Philly and Atlanta have pivotal seasons coming up that will determine the direction of their futures.
    I can deal with this

Here's you're 2022 team.

Sign Beal
    Re-sign Smart

PG - Smart
    SG - Beal - All Star
    SF - Brown - All Star
    PF - Tatum - All Star
    C - Horford

Bench
    Payton Prichard
    Romeo Langford
    Rob Williams III

I just donít see them as Championship material at least not yet when I said I donít think their gonna get better what I mean is record wise I donít see them being no better than that 4-7 seed.

I just donít see them as Championship material at least not yet when I said I donít think their gonna get better what I mean is record wise I donít see them being no better than that 4-7 seed.
    The ďseedĒ isnít necessarily the determining factor if a team is better or not. Brooklyn will be better with health. Miami has likely improved. Indiana if healthy will be better. NYK has made improvements while keeping their core. The Bulls are significantly better. Philadelphia and Milwaukee havenít gotten worse. We could be a 5-7 seed and still be a better team.

Anyone that thought 2022 was going to be a championship team in anyway is a complete moron. Weak Free Agent class and lack of tradable assets and contracts are not a recipe to turn a middling East team into a championship one. Thatís just a completely unrealistic expectation

What we needed to see was solid moves. Adding Horford, Richardson, possibly Dunn should be better than an injured Walker, Thompson and Turner who never really fit. Thatís improvement. Not adding any future money and keeping the roster to short term and low money deals shows direction, something Ainge lacked. This is how you get better. But it doesnít happen instantly. It takes time, conviction and savvy moves (lots of them).
    Last edited by Oakmont_4; 08-03-2021 at 05:51 PM.

C - Horford
    if Horford is still starting over Williams in 2022, then we have issues.

Heck, Al should be coming off the bench THIS year for RW. Rob proved over the past few months that when he's healthy, he's arguably the second most impactful force on this roster after Tatum.

The ďseedĒ isnít necessarily the determining factor if a team is better or not. Brooklyn will be better with health. Miami has likely improved. Indiana if healthy will be better. NYK has made improvements while keeping their core. The Bulls are significantly better. Philadelphia and Milwaukee havenít gotten worse. We could be a 5-7 seed and still be a better team.

Anyone that thought 2022 was going to be a championship team in anyway is a complete moron. Weak Free Agent class and lack of tradable assets and contracts are not a recipe to turn a middling East team into a championship one. Thatís just a completely unrealistic expectation

What we needed to see was solid moves. Adding Horford, Richardson, possibly Dunn should be better than an injured Walker, Thompson and Turner who never really fit. Thatís improvement. Not adding any future money and keeping the roster to short term and low money deals shows direction, something Ainge lacked. This is how you get better. But it doesnít happen instantly. It takes time, conviction and savvy moves (lots of them).
    True seeding doesnít necessarily mean a 1 seed is better than a 7 seed. But those big names usually donít see Boston as a first choice I didnít say they donít want to come here, but places like LA, Miami NY tend to be more of enticing.

True seeding doesnít necessarily mean a 1 seed is better than a 7 seed. But those big names usually donít see Boston as a first choice I didnít say they donít want to come here, but places like LA, Miami NY tend to be more of enticing.
    I'm not saying city doesn't matter at all. But Boston is NOT a deterrent. Beal has publicly stated he wants to play with Tatum and they have a long history together as friends. He's not going to give up a chance to play on a winning team with a close friend simply because it's Boston and he could go to NY to a non competitive team. The more Tatum ascends to the top of the league the more players will want to play alongside him. Hell, players were actively choosing to go to CLEVELAND to play with LeBron.

Here's how I view players choices in teams.
    1A. Chance to win
    1B. Money
    *With a Max slot open and Tatum/Brown in place, these 2 categories are satisfied

2. Playing with other stars they're friends with
    *We already went over Beal and Tatums relationship

3. The role on the team available
    4. City

The top 3 factors in a player choosing a team is satisfied here in Boston. I have zero worries about attracting a player with a MAX slot open and Tatum/Brown in tow with a head coach that is well respected by players around the league.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by AntiG View Post
    if Horford is still starting over Williams in 2022, then we have issues.

Heck, Al should be coming off the bench THIS year for RW. Rob proved over the past few months that when he's healthy, he's arguably the second most impactful force on this roster after Tatum.
    Why does the designation "starter" even matter with Williams. I agree Williams, if healthy and dialed can make a big difference on this team. Those are also 2 big IFs at this point of his career. He's never stayed healthy and he's never put together long stretches of great play. You don't reward a guy like that by giving him a position on the team he has not earned.

Horford is a veteran who has a history with this team. He's a better fit to play with the starters because he's a better passer than Williams (we don't have a great facilitating PG on this team) and he provides floor spacing. He's a savvy veteran who can still play quality defense. PnR. facilitate. Shoot.

Very simply. Horford is a more complete player than Williams. He will start and close games. Williams will play more minutes in the middle of the game.

This is a flawed team, they do have issues. Starting Williams just because he's younger and played well for 2 months does not fix that. That's a ridiculous statement.

Also stating Rob Williams has more impact on this team that Brown and even Smart is also ridiculous. The dude has shown flashes of being a nice player - Great. But he's done nothing more. He's NEVER healthy. He NEVER plays well for more than a few games/weeks at a time and even those strings are few and far between injuries and him just looking lost out there at times.

Call a spade a space. Rob Williams is a young, athletic, rim protecting big. There's tons of them around the league. They're plug and play guys but are completely interchangeable. We could swap Rob Williams and JaVel McGee right now and be slightly better off this season.

There are far less bigs with Horfords skillset around the league. A floor spacing, shooting, passing and good defender with a high IQ.

City of Champions

we saw it a couple years ago as well, whenever Williams played, teams were afraid to attack the rim and we get a ton more boards as well. The intimidation factor he brings is a huge difference versus Al, and actually compliments the rest of the team better than Al because Tatum, Brown, Smart handle the ball the large majority of time. One of the issues we had when we had Al and Kyrie was that the other 3 weren't getting nearly enough touches (you can say the same thing about Kemba especially during his long cold stretches that spanned multiple games), having a center that focuses purely on big-man tasks puts the ball more in their hands instead. Having a big that sits outside so often like Al and isn't a particularly great rebounder takes away offensive opportunities, and on defense players don't fear him inside either despite him being a savvy defender. I might trust him at the end of games and as a team leader, but Williams should be getting the large bulk of time and be playing much more often with the 3 star wings.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast